Feds Spend $1.5 Million to Study Why Lesbians Are Fat

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded $1.5 million to study biological and social factors for why “three-quarters” of lesbians are obese and why gay males are not, calling it an issue of “high public-health significance.”

Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Mass., has received two grants administered by NIH’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) to study the relationship between sexual orientation and obesity.

“Obesity is one of the most critical public health issues affecting the U.S. today,” the description of the grant reads. “Racial and socioeconomic disparities in the determinants, distribution, and consequences of obesity are receiving increasing attention.”

“[H]owever, one area that is only beginning to be recognized is the striking interplay of gender and sexual orientation in obesity disparities,” it states. “It is now well-established that women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with it continues.

“In stark contrast, among men, heterosexual males have nearly double the risk of obesity compared to gay males.”

The investigators say there has been “almost no” research devoted to this disparity, and they have set out to find the biological, psychological, and social factors behind it.

The project is being led by S. Bryn Austin, Director of Fellowship Research Training in the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine at Boston Children’s Hospital. Austin is also an Associate Professor in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the Harvard School of Public Health, and an Associate Epidemiologist at Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH), which is a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School.

BWH first received a $778,622 grant for the study in 2011, followed by a $741,378 grant in 2012, totaling $1,520,000. The project has the potential to be a five-year study.

The grants list a “project end date” and a “budget end date” of June 30, 2016. The researchers said the subject is one of “high public-health significance.”

However, the NICHD said the future of the project is uncertain because of the sequester--automatic spending cuts that took effect on March 1.

"The NIH is currently assessing the impact on funding due to sequestration," said Robert Bock, Press Officer for the NICHD. "It is not possible to say how this (or any other NIH grant) will be affected in the long term beyond the 90 percent funding levels already in place."

"Obesity is a serious public health problem affecting a large proportion of the U.S. population," Bock said. "The study is examining reasons why the risk of obesity varies according to sexual orientation, in order to inform the development of future strategies to prevent obesity."

The researchers said the subject is one of “high public-health significance.”

“It will be impossible to develop evidence-based preventive interventions unless we first answer basic questions about causal pathways, as we plan to do,” they said. “Our study has high potential for public health impact not only for sexual minorities but also for heterosexuals, as we seek to uncover how processes of gender socialization may exacerbate obesity risk in both sexual minority females and heterosexual males.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spend-15-million-study-why-lesbians-are-fat

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded $1.5 million to study biological and social factors for why “three-quarters” of lesbians are obese and why gay males are not, calling it an issue of “high public-health significance.”

Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Mass., has received two grants administered by NIH’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) to study the relationship between sexual orientation and obesity.

“Obesity is one of the most critical public health issues affecting the U.S. today,” the description of the grant reads. “Racial and socioeconomic disparities in the determinants, distribution, and consequences of obesity are receiving increasing attention.”

“[H]owever, one area that is only beginning to be recognized is the striking interplay of gender and sexual orientation in obesity disparities,” it states. “It is now well-established that women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with it continues.

“In stark contrast, among men, heterosexual males have nearly double the risk of obesity compared to gay males.”

The investigators say there has been “almost no” research devoted to this disparity, and they have set out to find the biological, psychological, and social factors behind it.

The project is being led by S. Bryn Austin, Director of Fellowship Research Training in the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine at Boston Children’s Hospital. Austin is also an Associate Professor in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the Harvard School of Public Health, and an Associate Epidemiologist at Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH), which is a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School.

BWH first received a $778,622 grant for the study in 2011, followed by a $741,378 grant in 2012, totaling $1,520,000. The project has the potential to be a five-year study.

The grants list a “project end date” and a “budget end date” of June 30, 2016. The researchers said the subject is one of “high public-health significance.”

However, the NICHD said the future of the project is uncertain because of the sequester--automatic spending cuts that took effect on March 1.

"The NIH is currently assessing the impact on funding due to sequestration," said Robert Bock, Press Officer for the NICHD. "It is not possible to say how this (or any other NIH grant) will be affected in the long term beyond the 90 percent funding levels already in place."

"Obesity is a serious public health problem affecting a large proportion of the U.S. population," Bock said. "The study is examining reasons why the risk of obesity varies according to sexual orientation, in order to inform the development of future strategies to prevent obesity."

“It will be impossible to develop evidence-based preventive interventions unless we first answer basic questions about causal pathways, as we plan to do,” they said. “Our study has high potential for public health impact not only for sexual minorities but also for heterosexuals, as we seek to uncover how processes of gender socialization may exacerbate obesity risk in both sexual minority females and heterosexual males.”

Feds Spend $1.5 Million to Study Why Lesbians Are Fat | CNS News

I wish they'd have contacted me.................for $3/4 million I could have solved their problem, they eat too much and don't get enough exercise! -:)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Likely due to a lot of things and NOT the "they eat too much and don't get enough exercise" BS that the majority usually spout off.

But come on, you don't need a specific study for it; yeesh.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I wish they'd have contacted me.................for $3/4 million I could have solved their problem, they eat too much and don't get enough exercise! -:)

Heck JLM... you answered their question right here for nothing!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's going to be a bad one, because you can't really discuss the reasons without using some pretty grand generalizations.

I can sum it up for them really simply....

Female tendency to nurture and nest equals a propensity to gain weight.

Male tendency to want to seek new sexual partners and seek adventure, equals a propensity to remain fit.

When you put male and female together, they influence one another, and you get the general population's weight statistics.

Put two women together, double the nurturing, and they tend to compound the weight gain.

Put two men together and they still tend to be more focused on sex, rather than nurturing one another, than a lesbian couple will be (I'm not saying no nurturing focus, let me be clear, just less than a 'typical' lesbian couple).

Plus, and this has no stats to back it up, just personal observance, homosexual men seem to be in monogamous relationships less often than lesbian women are. Being 'single' or on the market, tends to lend to a leaner physique.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Male tendency to want to seek new sexual partners and seek adventure, equals a propensity to remain fit.
Sh*t! Are you saying I keep healthy to look good to others only and not to have the best odds of protecting myself, my family and my sources of food and shelter?

It's all about lust and nothing more?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Likely due to a lot of things and NOT the "they eat too much and don't get enough exercise" BS that the majority usually spout off.

There are always those among us who will try to find a complicated solution to a simple problem, but then I guess that's why people get ripped off for $1.5 million and to their chagrin still have the problem.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sh*t! Are you saying I keep healthy to look good to others only and not to have the best odds of protecting myself, my family and my sources of food and shelter?

It's all about lust and nothing more?

I never said that at all, no. Just like women getting 'fat' isn't just about nurturing.

I bet it's hormonal.

lol... isn't most of human behaviour?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Feds Spend $1.5 Million to Study Why Lesbians Are Fat | CNS News

Hmmm... I immagine they're fat for the same reasons anyone else is fat?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hmmm... I immagine they're fat for the same reasons anyone else is fat?

Exactly. I have a friend who is married to another woman. She is in great shape and we often talk about our latest fitness routines. However her wife is not so much at all. I am trying to be nice as they are both great people.

They are people. Some are going to be in good shape and some aren't like any other people. Why $1.5 Million to answer what is so obvious?

There are always those among us who will try to find a complicated solution to a simple problem, but then I guess that's why people get ripped off for $1.5 million and to their chagrin still have the problem.

It is called PORK. Government waste and nothing more. Peel back everything and you will find a donor somewhere in this I am sure.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think there is a tendency in our society to live for the moment.

IF people were to view themselves as a bag of chemicals fueled by other chemicals that they consume and then keep in mind that how those chemicals interact will determine health and life expectancy...they would make better choices more consistently.

I also think Karrie has hit on another aspect as has Petros.

It's a combination of factors that are complex but JLM has a valid point too... calories in, calories burned.

Exactly. I have a friend who is married to another woman. She is in great shape and we often talk about our latest fitness routines. However her wife is not so much at all. I am trying to be nice as they are both great people.

They are people. Some are going to be in good shape and some aren't like any other people. Why $1.5 Million to answer what is so obvious?.
Exactly so although the difference in proportion is interesting.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It shouldn't be too interesting. Many couples are opposite in regards to weight for one reason or other.
But why would the majority of female gays be morbidly obese and the majority of gay males at a healthy weight unless that matched the heterosexual population...what would cause that?

I know there is a joke in here somewhere about them both obese gays and male heteros being with a female partner but I won't go there :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But why would the majority of female gays be morbidly obese and the majority of gay males at a healthy weight unless that matched the heterosexual population...what would cause that?

I know there is a joke in here somewhere about them both obese gays and male heteros being with a female partner but I won't go there :)

I'm wondering about the stature of people who insist the solution to fat is complicated. Do you suppose they themselves are fat and feel the need for a way to justify it. (Being politically correct is not #1 on my list of important things to be) -:)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I knew one man who was obese supposedly through no fault of his own. He'd been exposed to high doses of radiation in his mother's womb since she lived near a nuclear test site in the USA decades ago (he was in his 60's). But supposedly it had created an abnormally slow metabolism.

While there could be many reasons for which one is overweight, I can't see how they'b be different based on sexual orientation. He was straight, but how would his orientation affect the impact of radiation on his metabolism?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I think JLM answered it quite clearly... as did you. Calories in, calories burned. That is the bottom line. The study is not needed. There is no public demand or need... therefore the government will step in, per usual, and pay $1.5 Million for it. $1.5 MILLION!

I knew one man who was obese supposedly through no fault of his own. He'd been exposed to high doses of radiation in his mother's womb since she lived near a nuclear test site in the USA decades ago (he was in his 60's). But supposedly it had created an abnormally slow metabolism.

That is true too. And he is an exception and not the rule. All of our metabolism rates are varied. AND we can increase our metabolism rates if we so choose.

But you know what... I simply don't believe that is the reason for his obesity. I believe he told you that but I think it is BS.