The moment CNN died

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I have a friend who used to be a CNN fanatic. Always something of a news junkie, he tried to keep CNN running in the background wherever he was. This allowed him to maintain a dubious “streak” of sorts — every time a celebrity died or disaster struck, he’d catch the breaking news live. But he doesn’t watch CNN much anymore, though, and he’s not alone. The network’s ratings have been in free fall for years. It consistently loses — and loses big — to Fox News, and recently had its worst quarter in 21 years.

That will only get worse. For proof, look no further than their New Year’s Eve coverage.

The problems CNN faces aren’t unique — smaller audiences, shrinking advertising revenues and increased competition from online outlets are as much a problem for TV as for us here in print. But CNN’s problems are particularly acute. Though there are some signs its ratings may have rebounded in recent months, overall, the trend is bleak. In prime time, it has roughly two-thirds ABC’s numbers. Barely a quarter of Fox News’s.

more

The moment CNN died (and the Honey Boo Boo-shaped shovel used to bury it) | Full Comment | National Post

CyaNN

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The downfall of CNN started when they sold to Time/Warner. They got out of the 'investigative' news biz and became Time magazine for TV. Lot's of fluff and inconsequential stories.

The stopping point of watching CNN, even occasionally for me, which actually started me on my debate as to 'why do I pay for cable for this crap'. which I eventually got rid of in favour of an antenna', was when there Dr Gupta got caught 'red handed' lying about SICKO.

It's not that I care for Michael Moore as I actually can't listen to him but he was right in his claims in the movie, as Gupta later admitted, but only after he was called out as a schill for the 'insurance biz'..........

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Never liked CNN.

Or Faux.

Or Faux north--------

CBC's starting to piss me off too.

Ah, gimme back me the National Enquirer. yep.

:evil3:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The problems CNN faces aren’t unique — smaller audiences, shrinking advertising revenues and increased competition from online outlets are as much a problem for TV as for us here in print.

And just how far will media go to keep you watching or reading?

Convince you that you are a Right or Left winger?

Pitt you against friend and neighbour who are on the Rightie or Leftie "team".

Convince you that the other TV channels are Rightie or Leftie biased and only their message serves your Rightie or Leftie needs?

Do they tell you who to vote for that best suits you Rightie or Leftie team needs, who will coach your Rightie or leftie team into a beer cup hoisting victory in the global Superbowl ?

Naaaaaah they would never do that. It's just TV.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'll wager more spastics watch hoarding, obese, locker-buying, tiara-wearing, moonshinin'-hillbilly, transgendered, sport-eating, truck drivin' visible minorities 'programming' than any news channel, cable, network or otherwise offered fare.

Yuuuuuuup.

There's no market value in the old fashioned left-right do-see-do when compared to all the pills big pharma can sell ya watching billy the sasquatch whisperer. CNN will go the way of MTV. 'All about Benjamins' sounds like a good money making series.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What else is there to watch since hockey is on a hiatus?

I'll wager more spastics watch hoarding, obese, locker-buying, tiara-wearing, moonshinin'-hillbilly, transgendered, sport-eating, truck drivin' visible minorities 'programming' than any news channel, cable, network or otherwise offered fare.

This is the only real substitute

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Yuuuuuuup.

There's no market value in the old fashioned left-right do-see-do when compared to all the pills big pharma can sell ya watching billy the sasquatch whisperer. CNN will go the way of MTV. 'All about Benjamins' sounds like a good money making series.

Why would people horde watches ??

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Another market for spandex. I understand the material spans decks of aircraft carriers to slow incoming planes; hence the name.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When is the Spastic Cup?

The Flo-Trol Convalescent Feeding Cup
allows dribble-free drinking without the
need for the person to sit up or raise the
head.

P.S. It's really called the Flo-Trol

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Will we ever see an end to time warners?

When is the Spastic Cup?

The Flo-Trol Convalescent Feeding Cup
allows dribble-free drinking without the
need for the person to sit up or raise the
head.

P.S. It's really called the Flo-Trol
Don't like Spastic Cups or the Paper Plate. Horse races attract the wrong crowd.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Run along folks.....nothing to see here......It's just the much demeaned Fox News at the top of the charts again.....let's wait until another station gets close so we can all celebrate...........

Last edited: