Kate Middleton hospital nurse who answered Aussie crank call found dead

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The receptionist at a central London hospital that treated the Duchess of Cambridge for severe morning sickness has apparently committed suicide, only two days after falling for a prank by two Australian radio DJs.

The DJs, posing as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, called the King Edward VII Hospital to inquire about Kate's condition and were patched through to a nurse, who revealed private health details about the duchess.

Australian radio personalities Mel Greig and Michael Christian later apologized for the hoax — sheepishly noting that they were surprised that the call was put through and that their Australian accents were not detected.

Authorities found the receptionist's body at 9:30 a.m. local time on Friday, according to UK media reports.

A Scotland Yard spokesman told the Daily Mail the death is not being considered suspicious, although they haven't confirmed it was a suicide.

more

Kate Middleton hospital nurse who answered Aussie crank call found dead

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The nurse was the victim of a media prank. But, is her death a result of a society that holds an almost religious reverence for royalty? A victim twice!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The nurse was the victim of a media prank. But, is her death a result of a society that holds an almost religious reverence for royalty? A victim twice!

Probably more to do with the 'reviews' of policy which were promised. No doubt said reviews would recommend the dismissal of the nurse.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I cant imagine how the parties involved must be feeling about this. To be an expectant mom, and have your pegnancy already taintedby this media bull****, to have it cost a woman her life....thats got to weigh on a person. And the gents who did it. Wow.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I cant imagine how the parties involved must be feeling about this. To be an expectant mom, and have your pegnancy already taintedby this media bull****, to have it cost a woman her life....thats got to weigh on a person. And the gents who did it. Wow.

This news this morning bothered me. Of course we don't know the full story. No doubt those D.J.s will blame themselves for the rest of their lives. When I first heard the story, I found it absolutely hilarious, now I wonder. They sure didn't mean any harm by it. I'm just sad it took such a tragic turn and probably no one is at fault.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I listened to the conversation that she had with the DJs who were imitating the Queen.
And it seemed almost as if someone had informed her that she would be receiving a phone call from from the Queen to inquire about Kate's condition.

So she had no reason to question the validity of the call.

And the embarrassment of the scandal caused her to take her own life.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Bizarre even. lol

I thought horsespittles only gave info to immediate (and adult) family members. Definitely bizarre.

I believe that the feverish devotion to the royal family supercedes simple policy.

Hell, that nurse may have been fearful for her job thinking of the consequences of not updating the Queen on her soon to be great grand child.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
this is not the fault in any way of the royal family, whom in this case are just being a family and
taking care of their own.

however, the media and friends who have no thought for anyone at anytime, but what
they can gain for themselves, and this stupid phone call

pretending to be the queen, definitely has backfired, and now this tragedy.

certain people just find ways to screw up, and i'm sure kate and william are reading this latest
news with the same feelings that we are.

I wonder what more will come out of this mess.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Australian radio station will have to FIRE those DJs asap.. it was an act of gross stupidity completely oblivious to the potential consequences and emotional distress for all involved. My guess is the call for their dismissal even in the jaded Australian media and public will be overwhelming.. as it was with Rupert Murdoch's 'gotcha' journalism and flagrant disregard for privacy in the UK.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I read about this on CBC and the more recent comments has people going off on the DJ's and calling what they did bullying. I think had the woman not died somehow (still suspicious from what I've read), people wouldn't be that much concerned over it. Radio shows prank people (a lot of it's the US) and it's not done to harm but for a laugh. Misguided sometimes and does lead to people getting in trouble but the intent is to be funny. Of course in this case, yes it's a breach of confidentiality but as mentioned, they might have been waiting for a call from the Royals and that's why no one questioned it.

Then again, as my mother said as we were discussing it yesterday, would YOU question someone calling and saying they were the Queen and demand proof?

Our policy at our hospital where I work says that we cannot give information over the phone no matter who you are. If you are family and you can't make it in to see/check on your family member, it's best to call other family. Some nurses might make their own decisions to tell people things but by policy they're not supposed to.

But again, it's the Queen (or supposed to be). Unless you had years and years of experience dealing with it, how many people would question it?

In any case the entire thing is sad. Sad for the Royals who knew the woman and were under her care, sad for the woman and her family and sad for the DJ's whose prank may have led to this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure they should fire the DJs but suspect they will from a legal liability perspective. By not firing them, the station will be silently condoning the act and make themselves accomplices to any wrongful death lawsuit (although I would find it a stretch to have a shot). But the station lawyer will no doubt take the most cautious approach.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

And that is about all we can take from it. Sad as it is there are a multitude of possibilities that need ruling out, one being the possibility she was a very troubled person to begin with and this was just the "last straw". The world would be a dull place if no one ever played any pranks. Whatever we decide to do in life there is no guarantee of the final outcome. Blame has no place here.

Our policy at our hospital where I work says that we cannot give information over the phone no matter who you are.

I've phoned hospitals several times over the years for information and it seems the standard reply is "resting comfortably" or "had a good night".

I wonder what more will come out of this mess.

Sadly, probably nothing good for anyone, just hope it doesn't deter anyone from having good fun in the future!

The Australian radio station will have to FIRE those DJs asap.. it was an act of gross stupidity completely oblivious to the potential consequences and emotional distress for all involved. My guess is the call for their dismissal even in the jaded Australian media and public will be overwhelming.. as it was with Rupert Murdoch's 'gotcha' journalism and flagrant disregard for privacy in the UK.

Like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped! Those D.J.s didn't do anything wrong. I remember years ago a Vancouver radio station used to phone random people every morning with a prank. I suppose it could be within the realm of possibility that someone could conceivably have a coronary, but I don't think it ever happened. Some SH*T happens!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

No. Her death isn't the fault of reverence for royalty, but rather society's tolerance for the media's infringement of peoples' (no matter who they are) right to privacy. We often go on about freedom of the press but this is a clear case of abuse of that power, and should be dealt with, harshly. I'll say it again, its not about the Royals or any other celebrities, its about members of the media abusing the power of their positions.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Actually, the "standard" policy makes me slightly worried. Here I am in the Netherlands, and my Mom thousands of kilometers away. I would not know who to call that would be allowed in to see her in case of an emergency, we have no immediate family nearby. How am I supposed to identify myself over the telephone? I am pretty sure they will not have my passport number on file.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually, the "standard" policy makes me slightly worried. Here I am in the Netherlands, and my Mom thousands of kilometers away. I would not know who to call that would be allowed in to see her in case of an emergency, we have no immediate family nearby. How am I supposed to identify myself over the telephone? I am pretty sure they will not have my passport number on file.

They usually ask if you have privacy concerns. Every time ive gone into hospital, i was asked if they could tell people im there and give progress updates