Many believe aboriginal people don't pay enough taxes

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A new poll suggests more than 60 per cent of Saskatchewan people believe aboriginal people don't pay enough taxes.

The University of Saskatchewan's Social Sciences Research Lab asked a question on that subject as part of a survey of 1,750 people March 5-19.

The Taking the Pulse survey found that 36.7 per cent of people strongly agree with the following statement: "Aboriginal people do not pay enough taxes in Saskatchewan."

Another 26.7 per cent somewhat agree with that statement.

A smaller portion either somewhat disagree (13.9 per cent) or strongly disagree (9.9 per cent) that aborginal people don't pay enough taxes.

The survey asked 60 questions, including several dealing with aboriginal issues.

More than any other question, the one on aboriginal taxation generated the most "Don't know" responses: 11.7 per cent. Another 1.1 per cent refused to answer the question.

The Taking the Pulse project is a collaboration of the U of S, CBC, the StarPhoenix and the Leader-Post. With a sample size of 1,750, the poll is considered accurate to within 2.34 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well, they always have the option of rescinding our Treaties and giving the land back, I suppose.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do they pay enough taxes? The Department of Indian and Northern Affairs annual budge is something
over 7 billion dollars. Do our aboriginals pay anywhere near that in taxes?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Well, they always have the option of rescinding our Treaties and giving the land back, I suppose.

There is of course the other option of rescinding the treaties and telling the to go f*ck themselves. They could always try to have a war for the land but I don't like their chances.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There is of course the other option of rescinding the treaties and telling the to go f*ck themselves. They could always try to have a war for the land but I don't like their chances.

I agree. We can always ignore agreements when we have the upper hand. Just don't count on anyone wanting to sign agreeemnts with us ever again.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I agree. We can always ignore agreements when we have the upper hand. Just don't count on anyone wanting to sign agreeemnts with us ever again.

I didn't sign anything to begin with and really don't know why I should be on the hook for events that are centuries old.

It is high time we shut down the gravy train. What we have is the great-great grandchildren (or however many generations it is now) of those who came here and claimed the land paying the great great grandchildren of those who lost the land in a war. I don't get it. No other defeated nation has had a free ride for so long in fact most through history got sweet FA.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I didn't sign anything to begin with and really don't know why I should be on the hook for events that are centuries old.

It is high time we shut down the gravy train. What we have is the great-great grandchildren (or however many generations it is now) of those who came here and claimed the land paying the great great grandchildren of those who lost the land in a war. I don't get it. No other defeated nation has had a free ride for so long in fact most through history got sweet FA.

So if you sign a contract with the government, and the government decides to not fulfil its side of the contract, don't come crying to me because I didn't sign it. And besides, why should my taxes pay for a contract I didn't sign, right?

Also, they were not defeated. They signed treaties and we stabbed them in the back. That's not the same as being defeated.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So if you sign a contract with the government, and the government decides to not fulfil its side of the contract, don't come crying to me because I didn't sign it. And besides, why should my taxes pay for a contract I didn't sign, right?

Also, they were not defeated. They signed treaties and we stabbed them in the back. That's not the same as being defeated.

I would never sign a contract with a govt, any govt.

I agree, we shouldn't pay taxes for something we had no part of.

They signed treaties to avoid complete anihilation, the Europeans let them to avoid wiping them out completely.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I would never sign a contract with a govt, any govt.

I agree, we shouldn't pay taxes for something we had no part of.

They signed treaties to avoid complete anihilation, the Europeans let them to avoid wiping them out completely.

If no one ever signed contracts with the government, we'd have no government. We'd have anarchy.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The treaty system meant the didn't pay taxes in many situations sort of the cost
of stealing land and ethnic cleansing of sorts. The natives fared better than the
French in the Eastern Maritimes though the British Ethnically Cleansed them
outright and they were shipped off to the southern USA.
The price of keeping ones word is often higher the subscribing to honesty in the
beginning. We took the land and there was not Indian war in Canada therefore
it is part of the deal.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I think their chances are pretty good considering they can easily blend in with the rest of society.

Tough to tell a combatant from a civillian

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If no one ever signed contracts with the government, we'd have no government. We'd have anarchy.

No we wouldn't. We can still have order and sign contracts among ourselves.

I do believe in a very limited govt both in scope of power and size but they need to be 100% accountable personally to the people they represent.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No we wouldn't. We can still have order and sign contracts among ourselves.

I do believe in a very limited govt both in scope of power and size but they need to be 100% accountable personally to the people they represent.

How does the government hire anyone without signing a contract? Who would build the infrastructure? Just ourselves of our own free will? In other words, you're essentially defining anarchy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How does the government hire anyone without signing a contract? Who would build the infrastructure? Just ourselves of our own free will? In other words, you're essentially defining anarchy.

People break contracts with the gvt everyday, including infrastructure projects. Someone else comes into fill the void and the work gets completed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A new poll suggests more than 60 per cent of Saskatchewan people believe aboriginal people don't pay enough taxes.

The University of Saskatchewan's Social Sciences Research Lab asked a question on that subject as part of a survey of 1,750 people March 5-19.

The Taking the Pulse survey found that 36.7 per cent of people strongly agree with the following statement: "Aboriginal people do not pay enough taxes in Saskatchewan."

Another 26.7 per cent somewhat agree with that statement.

A smaller portion either somewhat disagree (13.9 per cent) or strongly disagree (9.9 per cent) that aborginal people don't pay enough taxes.

The survey asked 60 questions, including several dealing with aboriginal issues.

More than any other question, the one on aboriginal taxation generated the most "Don't know" responses: 11.7 per cent. Another 1.1 per cent refused to answer the question.

The Taking the Pulse project is a collaboration of the U of S, CBC, the StarPhoenix and the Leader-Post. With a sample size of 1,750, the poll is considered accurate to within 2.34 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

You must have been talking to Dumpy! Or most likely, Cannuck!

Last edited: