Cop Sucker Punches Woman at Philadelphia Puerto Rican Day Parade

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

After 19-years on the front lines of the Philadelphia Police Department, Lt. Jonathan Josey turned in his badge and gun Thursday afternoon, done in by a video taped punch thrown at Aida Guzman during last Sunday's Puerto Rican Day celebration.

It was a punch that ended his career – at least for now.

"Clearly what we saw was unacceptable," said City Councilwoman Maria Quinones Sanchez, the grand marshal at the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

"He's being treated like a second class citizen, no due process," said FOP President John McNesby.

The highly decorated member of the city's elite Highway Patrol said nothing as he arrived at the Internal Affairs Bureau where he was suspended for 30 days with intent to dismiss.

Believing Josey's actions were improper, Commissioner Charles Ramsey took direct action to remove Josey from the force with an investigation still underway.

"It would merit maybe a suspension, possibly, 10, 20, 30 days suspension, but not a firing," McNesby added.

As Josey was being terminated, Guzman was meeting with internal affairs investigators in with her attorney. Disorderly conduct charges against her have been dismissed by District Attorney Seth Williams in the wake of the controversy over the video-taped punch out.

"It was important that we send a message that we heard the community outcry, that we saw what was in the video," the councilwoman said.

While Josey has been removed from the department, McNesby believes he will eventually return to duty after arbitration.

"He's being fired without just cause and we look forward to making sure he's restored," McNesby said.

Read more: Philadelphia Cop Fired Over Latina Punching Video | Fox News Latino

[youtube]rrnp5aV1kD0[/youtube]

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm, she assaults officers, refuses to obey lawful orders, attempts to flee, gets taken down, and the Cop is the bad guy?

Interesting.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't understand why the issue is he punched her 'without warning'. Seems that she threw something at him, likely 'without warning'.

Are you supposed to warn people before you punch them? Hey, I'm going to punch you in the face now. Is there a guideline as to how many seconds before the punch you are supposed to warn them?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting points....unless she wasn't the one to throw water or anything
else, and the water (or something, or nothing) came from someone else
behind this woman. If she didn't throw anything, and was punched in the
face anyway, would that change anything?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm, she assaults officers, refuses to obey lawful orders, attempts to flee, gets taken down, and the Cop is the bad guy?

Interesting.

I watched the video. He could have taken her down without that punch under the circumstances. She was walking away from him so certainly not an immediate threat. Yes he had a right to subdue her depending on circumstances, but that was excessive under teh circumstances.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just curious, as I've watched this video again (try'n to find a slow-motion version
of it but not having any luck), I've noticed that she's carrying a can (some sites
say it's silly-string) in one hand, and a flag in the other hand....so which other
hand would she have used to throw the water with? It's hard to tell from the
video who threw this water....but I'm pretty sure this woman only has two
hands and they're both full.

I know this is Monday morning quarterbacking here (on a Saturday morning
to boot), but if someone threw something, it wasn't the person who's hands
are still full afterwords. I'm thinking (assuming, yes, I know) that she was in
the wrong place at the wrong time.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There are longer versions I've come across, but only going back a few
seconds longer so far, like this one:

Philadelphia Cop Fired Over Latina Punching Video | Fox News Latino

Fifteen seconds before this happens, & slow motion, and with sound,
would be better to figure out what happened.

Nope, not needed. He had no need to sucker punch the woman. I put this useless piece of slime in the same category as any other spineless wimp that punches a woman. He had how many other cops around him? He couldn't have stopped and apprehended her, if he had wanted to, without force? Damn rights he could have. Instead he shows the world how macho he is and drops her with one punch. What a man, what a hero.:roll:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here....found the water coming in:

Some person back in the crowd wearing a long sleeved garment, and
not the woman in the crosswalk who was punched in the face who
was wearing a T-shirt. Does this change anything though?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Not for me, and it sure as hell shouldn't be giving a cop a pass.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not for me, and it sure as hell shouldn't be giving a cop a pass.

I think the fact that the guy assaulting that woman happens to be a Cop is irrelevant.

If he was a Plumber like you, or a Crusher Monkey like me, would that change
anything? Dude should be charged with assault, and if that affects his employment,
then that's how the chips fall. Same scenario as a Cabbie getting a DUI.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think the fact that the guy assaulting that woman happens to be a Cop is irrelevant.

If he was a Plumber like you, or a Crusher Monkey like me, would that change
anything? Dude should be charged with assault, and if that affects his employment,
then that's how the chips fall. Same scenario as a Cabbie getting a DUI.

I agree, and that's why the "cop shouldn't be getting a pass" remark.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Not sure I get these unions either. He is a cop who committed a crime. Don't know about you but as I see it that's where it ends. If they were to only suspend him like his union lackey suggests could you imagine the line up to have him arrest you...."your honor we cannot believe a word this criminal says in accusing my client, I move for complete dismissal".

Whatever happened to the premise in our society that people in positions of trust & authority are held to a higher standard? Seems to me that the cops & pols are now held to a much lower standard than the rest of us.

A lot of issues like this with the cops comes directly from their quasi-military training. They teach them how to punch & kick and mace but it would seem they don't teach them how to talk politely and reduce the need for force.

Interesting.

(vulgarity removed) and pay attention. She didn't attack anyone! The cop, as is normal these days, decided he could assault anyone within range because he got a wittle wet. ****** Pigs! Far too many like him today and firing is too good for his a$$. Let her hit him in the mouth with a brick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Even if it had been her, he could charge her with assaulting a police officer, but still would not have a right to sucker punch her except in self defence which this was not.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Doesn't change anything for me.

In what world is a punch to the face a reasonable and restrained reaction to having water thrown on you? Having water thrown on you cannot even be considered assault. Harassment maybe.

Justice needs to be more than just a shadow the powerful cast over the weak. If anyone else reacted this way to having water thrown at them then they would be charged with assault. Wearing a police uniform shouldn't give a person the power to overreact.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Seems like heavy-handedness on the cop's and the Commissioner's parts.
I can go for the idea that she assaulted the cop (assault with deadly water :rolleyes: ), but he looks bigger than the woman and probably well-trained in unarmed hand-to-hand and couldn't subdue her without decking her? He's a lieutenant and that's the best he could come up with? Especially with 4 other cops right there.
Commissioner seems to follow the same type of reaction as the cop, too. Firing someone for a little excess use of force?
What do the cops in Philly do in their off hours? Sniff glue or gasoline?

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Seems like heavy-handedness on the cop's and the Commissioner's parts.
I can go for the idea that she assaulted the cop (assault with deadly water :rolleyes: ), but he looks bigger than the woman and probably well-trained in unarmed hand-to-hand and couldn't subdue her without decking her? He's a lieutenant and that's the best he could come up with? Especially with 4 other cops right there.
Commissioner seems to follow the same type of reaction as the cop, too. Firing someone for a little excess use of force?
What do the cops in Philly do in their off hours? Sniff glue or gasoline?

....except that she didn't. Other than that, I agree with everything else you state.:lol: