Flea Market treasure found

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
While you were at the flea market happily picking up an 8 track tape of "Frampton Comes Alive" the woman next to you just found a $100,000 Renoir

h/t Fark

(Newser) – The flea market box lot was less than $50, and the buyer picked it up mostly for the Paul Bunyan doll it contained. But it turns out the box lot also contained an original painting by Renoir that could fetch up to $100,000 in an auction at the end of the month, reports the New York Times. The 5.5-inch-by-9-inch painting of the Seine riverside is believed to be Renoir's Paysage Bords de Seine. It was bought from a French gallery in 1925 and later sold to a Maryland collector, but art historians aren't sure when or how it disappeared.

Flea markets are notorious for producing forgeries, but art experts think this is the real thing. "You just see it and you know it’s right," says one at the Potomack auction house in Virginia. The buyer brought the painting there in a white plastic bag. "She liked the look of the frame, and started tearing off the paper on the back, and her mum told her to stop," says the Potomack expert.

Woman Finds Renoir Original at Flea Market - Painting could sell for up to $100K later this month

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Whenever we tear down a building we are on the lookout for trinkets. Actually we are looking for the motherload.LOL

If you do come across all that gold bullion I misplaced you will let me know, right? ;)

I think if it's art you have to really know what you're looking for, as the article states, forgeries abound.

But when it comes to flea market finds, I think the beautiful part of it is picking up something simply because you think it's neat or interesting. Then the reward of finding out it's actually worth something is an incredible bonus.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm waiting to find that rare and valuable comic that someone is selling in a garage sale somewhere(found at the bottom of a trunk or something)!;)

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Whenever we tear down a building we are on the lookout for trinkets. Actually we are looking for the motherload.LOL

Seems i missed this. Try a metal detector. When they raised the old Qualicum train station for restoration a number of years back i found quite a few turn of the century silver coins and a couple rings one Diamond and Emerald 18 k near the old front steps and under the building. Had to crawl a bit but worth it.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
A few years ago a buddy and I went to Boston {area}for a mosikkle thing,and while wandering arround trying to find a beer I liked,I ran accross this big,multi block long yard sale,hanging from a pole was a bunch of German helmets,15 $ apiece.Since all my stash was earmarked fo hard to find British bike parts,I reluctantly passed.I have kicked myself every day since.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Update:

$7 Renoir find may be stolen from museum - Weird News - Canoe.ca

Just when you thought it was safe to auction off your flea market acquisitions.

Darn. Looks like they'll be out $7 now!8O

Seems i missed this. Try a metal detector. When they raised the old Qualicum train station for restoration a number of years back i found quite a few turn of the century silver coins and a couple rings one Diamond and Emerald 18 k near the old front steps and under the building. Had to crawl a bit but worth it.

Awesome!:)

Did you end up keeping any for yourself or did you end up selling everything?:)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Who would have thought a Renoir sold at a flea market for $7 would not have been legit?

Well, I certainly wouldn't have expected it to have been one that was stolen from a museum, that's for sure! LOL!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'd look at the whole thing like it's a helluva story to tell for a $7 investment!

I'm cheap. I want my money back...or perhaps a spot on a Reality TV show. It could be called Storage Wars: Redux!;)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Sorry for the red TS, supposed to be green.....damn phone screen...

I was doing a reno job in Ladysmith and found 4 rubbermaid containers of hockey & baseball cards. I showed then the the old guy who owned the place and he said I could have them. Last valuation was $11,000 :smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sorry for the red TS, supposed to be green.....damn phone screen...

I was doing a reno job in Ladysmith and found 4 rubbermaid containers of hockey & baseball cards. I showed then the the old guy who owned the place and he said I could have them. Last valuation was $11,000 :smile:

It's easy enough to fix. I don't mind removing a Red that's accidentally given. I'll remove it, and you should be able to give him a Rep again. Just give me a minute to do it.:)

Okay, I removed it, so you should be able to re-give the Rep!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's easy enough to fix. I don't mind removing a Red that's accidentally given. I'll remove it, and you should be able to give him a Rep again. Just give me a minute to do it.:)

Helping to make the world a more peaceful place, one green numeral at a time. ;)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Thanks Shadow....now can you fix my phone screen so I don't do it again...