GM halts production of the Volt

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Detroit — With sales nowhere near the predicted 45,000-per-year, General Motors halted production of “Obamacar” — the Chevy Volt — here for the second time this year as its inventory levels lag the industry average.

If that sounds like the general economic fits and starts of the last three years under Obamanomics, it’s no accident. Welcome to the Volt economy.

Chevy’s Detroit-Hamtramck plant will suspend production from Sept. 17 until Oct. 15, idling 1,500 workers. As with its White House financiers, GM was quick with the excuses. “We are not idling the plant due to poor Volt sales. We’re gearing up for production of the new Impala,” a Chevy spokesman told the Automotive News.

more

Planet Gore - National Review Online

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Actually, it's proof that people don't want to buy electric cars.

Not if the industry makes them in limited quantity,and/or keep the price high.

Apparently people wanted to keep their EV-1s,but GM took em all back,and crushed them all,who decides what type of cars are gonna be on the roads,the costomers or the oil barons?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Not if the industry makes them in limited quantity,and/or keep the price high.

They cost a lot because they are expensive to manufacture. We shouldn't have to subsidize electric cars just so a few university professors can feel superior.

You want an electric car, go buy one. They're expensive. Too bad.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
They cost a lot because they are expensive to manufacture. We shouldn't have to subsidize electric cars just so a few university professors can feel superior.

You want an electric car, go buy one. They're expensive. Too bad.
I've heard that the first car made that could reach the speed of 100 MPH was an electric car,but somehow the gas guzlers took the front.

maybe if back then the electric ones have been produced,maybe the price for manufacturing them would be lower that the others.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Let's take a real look at the opposition to the electric car and it has very little to do with its functionality. First, the auto industry in general doesn't like the electric car, primarily because electric cars are very low maintenance compared with the internal combustion engine. Ask yourself, when was the last time you had to have someone over to tune up your refrigerator? For the most part, except for things like brakes, electric cars are almost maintenance free. The auto industry makes a huge amount of money selling parts for internal combustion engines. That profit would be lost if electric cars came into general use. Small wonder then that the Volt was so poorly promoted. In fact I never did see a single TV ad promoting it.

And by the way. This has nothing to do with Obama. This is all about the auto industry deciding what it wants to sell. If the US government wants electric cars it could simply legislate their use. I suspect that the US auto industry will drop the ball on this one and in a few years time when electric cars are all the rage and the Europeans and Japanese have stolen an insurmountable lead in electric car technology Detroit will suddenly wake up and go whining to the government about not being able to complete. Sound familiar?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I've heard that the first car made that could reach the speed of 100 MPH was an electric car,but somehow the gas guzlers took the front.

maybe if back then the electric ones have been produced,maybe the price for manufacturing them would be lower that the others.

Electric cars aren't practical yet in North America, we demand the ability to travel vast distances, and we don't have the infrastructure to support doing that with electric cars.

There's a little company in a little country in the middle east that a lot of people love to hate, that is making great inroads towards changing that, at least giving us a future option. ( Too bad Obama is so down on them :) )

They have modular batteries that can be swapped out at "gas stations" for a fully charged battery, allowing you to pull over and "fill up" with almost as little hassle as pumping gas. That's the key, if you could drive cross country in an electric car without having to stop for 12 hours every 4 hours to charge up, I bet electric cars would be flying off the shelves here.

Better Place Distance Dash | Israellycool

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The reason electric vehicles don't sell is range, recharge time as well as the expense.

The funny thing is they aren't green..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Let's take a real look at the opposition to the electric car and it has very little to do with its functionality. First, the auto industry in general doesn't like the electric car, primarily because electric cars are very low maintenance compared with the internal combustion engine. Ask yourself, when was the last time you had to have someone over to tune up your refrigerator? For the most part, except for things like brakes, electric cars are almost maintenance free. The auto industry makes a huge amount of money selling parts for internal combustion engines.

Do you have any figures for that? I hear nowadays of many engines lasting for 300,000 miles and I'm not aware of many vehicles getting such things as valve grinds and ring jobs any more or even timing chains. Actually internal combustion engines give good service as long as you change the oil and filters regularly, as far as I know.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Let's take a real look at the opposition to the electric car and it has very little to do with its functionality. First, the auto industry in general doesn't like the electric car, primarily because electric cars are very low maintenance compared with the internal combustion engine. Ask yourself, when was the last time you had to have someone over to tune up your refrigerator? For the most part, except for things like brakes, electric cars are almost maintenance free. The auto industry makes a huge amount of money selling parts for internal combustion engines. That profit would be lost if electric cars came into general use. Small wonder then that the Volt was so poorly promoted. In fact I never did see a single TV ad promoting it.

And by the way. This has nothing to do with Obama. This is all about the auto industry deciding what it wants to sell. If the US government wants electric cars it could simply legislate their use. I suspect that the US auto industry will drop the ball on this one and in a few years time when electric cars are all the rage and the Europeans and Japanese have stolen an insurmountable lead in electric car technology Detroit will suddenly wake up and go whining to the government about not being able to complete. Sound familiar?

I'd say that pretty much everything you've written is bs.

How much of the maintenance of a Toyota Prius has to do with the internal combustion engine? Extremely little.

Do you own a car? Have you ever had to maintain the lights, the tires, the climate control system, door handles, window operators, door locks, etc?

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
The oil companies could care less one way or the other,the volt uses electricity which mainly comes from petroleum anyways.
Are you sure,i remember the famous electric wheel motor,that Hydro Quebec invested a sh*tloads of money to create,once finished "POOF" it disapeared,where is it now,and who owns the patent for it?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Are you sure,i remember the famous electric wheel motor,that Hydro Quebec invested a sh*tloads of money to create,once finished "POOF" it disapeared,where is it now,and who owns the patent for it?
I dont know but the industry has their hands full trying to keep up to demand so an electric car sure as heck is not going to hurt them.They are more diverse now and like to be thought of as energy companies and they are buying up lots of windfarms here.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

They reached the end of the extension cord.

The biggest problems with gas vehicles is not the engines. It is the computer systems in them . Wear parts are much the same in both although electric may be easier on brakes because of it's regenerative system.
Electric vehicles have their place and can be run almost for free under the right conditions. Unfortunately their short range and expense makes it difficult to justify the expense. Replacing batteries is also a prohibitive expense and the idea of exchanging batteries won't fly ones the first dead one hits the program. Who pays for that? Right now you can buy a lot of gas for the price difference in comparable vehicles.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Perhaps the impetus with this new technology has more to do with emotion than facts! We are quickly being brain washed that anything to do with oil is dirty!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Electric vehicles have been around for over 100 years. Lame ass excuses of blaming oil companies or the parts and repair chain aren't going to cut when it's the vehicle it's self that doesn't cut it.

The Volt is an electric Cobalt which are flying out the door yet the Volt has ****ty sales so it can't be size or style

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Perhaps the impetus with this new technology has more to do with emotion than facts! We are quickly being brain washed that anything to do with oil is dirty!

You notice that those parts of N America that use coal generated electricity are not in a rush to dump their air conditioners and other energy gobbling trinkets.
Their is also a lot of people that use nuclear generated power that complain about the evils of fossil fuels. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.