Could legalising marijuana save the US economy

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Regulate pot like alcohol, making war on a weed is dumb. Take the money away from the gangsters and use it for social programs and paying off the debt. Capitalism trumps fake morality today.

BBC News - Could legalising marijuana save the US economy?

Could legalising marijuana save the US economy?

Could legalising marijuana save the US economy?

22 August 2012

Four decades ago, President Richard Nixon officially launched America's "war on drugs". Generations of US politicians since have continued to crack down on illegal substances, including marijuana.

In his new book, Too High To Fail, author Doug Fine argues that the campaign against cannabis has been expensive and counterproductive.

Critics of the law have questioned both the effectiveness and the morality of it, but Mr Fine - a strong advocate for legalisation - makes an economic case against it.

The illegal marijuana market is estimated to be worth tens of billions of dollars each year. Mr Fine argues that is money that should be taxed and contributing to the legal economy rather than benefiting criminals.

He travels to Mendocino County, California to see how an effort to legalise the drug at the local level boosted the economy and infuriated the federal authorities.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
1. Save the cost of enforcement..

2. Currently it is taxed at 100%.. seizure .. if they tax it with a sin tax of 20% and mandate the same rules as cigarettes, no smoking areas.. yeah it will help the economy.. it would be a windfall for California.. all the old hippies would be California dream'in..

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The government will never make tobacco illegal because they make a lot of money on the taxes and tobacco kills think of all the tax money that could be made on weed.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Only fools would go for legalization.
As long as the keep saying it is illegal/criminal to grow or smoke pot,it will make more money in the pockets of criminals,and more money wasted arresting anyone cause they have a small quantity on them.

And some excuses given to be against legalisation are silly,like saying pot smokers may go on harder drugs,there is no proof that will be like that,its a scare tactic by the anti drugs fearmonger.

Which one should be illegal again?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hemp is legal in Canada. Recreational cannabis should never be legalized.

As long as the keep saying it is illegal/criminal to grow or smoke pot,it will make more money in the pockets of criminals,and more money wasted arresting anyone cause they have a small quantity on them.

And some excuses given to be against legalisation are silly,like saying pot smokers may go on harder drugs,there is no proof that will be like that,its a scare tactic by the anti drugs fearmonger.

Which one should be illegal again?
If it's legalized it will still be overpriced and stuffing the pockets of criminals.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Hemp is legal in Canada. Recreational cannabis should never be legalized.

If it's legalized it will still be overpriced and stuffing the pockets of criminals.

Remember the prohibition,booze was illegal,and criminal empire were made,thanks to it,if the nutcases had not started the crap,the whole war on alcool would not have been a huge waste of time and money.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yup and now you can brew your own beer at home. Wouldn't you prefer to grow your own at home and not forking over your money for overpriced and regulated weed?

Decriminalization is the only solution. It takes away the value of the product leaving zero room for crime and corporate control.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I doubt legalizing pot would save the US economy but it would sure put a damper on the plans of thousands of bureaucraps that have made an industry out of having it illegal.

Yup and now you can brew your own beer at home. Wouldn't you prefer to grow your own at home and not forking over your money for overpriced and regulated weed?

Decriminalization is the only solution. It takes away the value of the product leaving zero room for crime and corporate control.

Most people I know already grow their own.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Most people I know already grow their own.
The wife and I both have our Health Canada exemptions.

I've had people tell me I'm lucky to have it. I always reply, "if you get titanium inserted in your spnie and freeze off a toe you too can be lucky enough to be legal".

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The wife and I both have our Health Canada exemptions.

I've had people tell me I'm lucky to have it. I always reply, "if you get titanium inserted in your spnie and freeze off a toe you too can be lucky enough to be legal".

I think they sell those at the dollar store in BC.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Marijuana should be legal to possess in small quantities.

If you grow 4 or 5 plants in your home and your home could be confiscated as a grow op. If you are robbed or your house is broken into, you can't call the police either, because you could get busted for possessing/growing marijuana. If you smoke marijuana, you avoid the police, rather than reporting crimes to the police. If you smoke marijuana you can't run for public office... and so on. Marijuana prohibition creates a whole bunch of problems and injustices, for basically a victimless crime.

I'd rather people smoked marijuana than drink alcohol. As MD pointed out marijuana causes fewer problems for the individual and society. People who smoke marijuana are less violent, more inhibited and more cautious than people who drink alcohol. No one has ever overdosed on marijuana which happens all the time with alcohol. People under the influence of alcohol tend to be more prone to taking risks with long term consequence, unlike marijuana.

I am against operating a motorized vehicle under the influence of marijuana as it does impair judge... although the impairment is less likely to result in reckless behavior than alcohol.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Legalization and decriminalization are two different avenues EAO.

Legalization is flat out the worst possible scenario.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How much do they spend making evil of a weed from which they could be harvesting tax revenues - not to mention the syndicates their crime keeps in business....

Maybe so ... but they're the legal-type crooks - so, the "good guys"

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its been proven time and again that its no worse than cigarettes and alcohol. It makes no sense to have it criminalized.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How much do they spend making evil of a weed from which they could be harvesting tax revenues - not to mention the syndicates their crime keeps in business....

Maybe so ... but they're the legal-type crooks - so, the "good guys"
If it's regulated and taxed it will still be expensive. Decriminalization makes it worthless. Worthless means, no dealers making money, no growers making money, nobody stealing to buy expensive weed, no enforcement expenditures, no court expenditures and no prison expenditures..

More money would be saved than made through taxes.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I see what you mean. OK I stand corrected.

Since marijuana is a "mind altering drug" with potential negative consequences, especially for people with personality disorders... it should be a controlled substance. Production and sales should be strictly regulated, so that children cannot legally possess marijuana. People should be able to buy or grow small quantities of marijuana for personal consumption. Commercial marijuana growers should be regulated like wineries. The can sell on premise or to the government. Marijuana should be available from your local corner store just like cigarettes. I disagree with advertising recreational drug use to promote consumption. Its a vice which should be discouraged.