NHL Work Stoppage Coming Because Bettman Wants It

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Forget about the salaries of players, they made too much twenty years ago. Its all about supporting Bettman's vision of endless subsidy for USA teams who are financial losers. Everytime you spend a buck on a Canadian team buying a ticket or merchandise, you give a nickle to Nashville or Tampa Bay. We don't need these lousy teams. Canucks have less money to sign players, they help marginal teams sign players that help beat the Canucks. I don't support that.

I remember fans protesting last time, "Kiss and make up" and public opinion went against the players and they caved. Its more complicated than that.

Having said that, I think they ought to limit contracts to five years, so dumb guys like Luongo don't sign long term deals that go all wrong real fast.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/08/reaction-to-bettmans-nhl-lockout-deadline.html

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Forget about the salaries of players, they made too much twenty years ago. Its all about supporting Bettman's vision of endless subsidy for USA teams who are financial losers. Everytime you spend a buck on a Canadian team buying a ticket or merchandise, you give a nickle to Nashville or Tampa Bay. We don't need these lousy teams. Canucks have less money to sign players, they help marginal teams sign players that help beat the Canucks. I don't support that.

I remember fans protesting last time, "Kiss and make up" and public opinion went against the players and they caved. Its more complicated than that.

Having said that, I think they ought to limit contracts to five years, so dumb guys like Luongo don't sign long term deals that go all wrong real fast.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/08/reaction-to-bettmans-nhl-lockout-deadline.html

And this has what to do with First Nations???

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I'm still waiting for JLM's 'Bettman is an A%$hole thread'. :smile: I gather from the comments on the CBC webpage, that we aren't the only ones who think this little runt has outlived his tenancy in the NHL.

And this has what to do with First Nations???

Uh, Goob.................where is there any mention of First Nations in either the comments or the article? Just don't see what your comment is all about????

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
And again people want to demonize a figurehead rather than address the root of the issue.

The owners are getting greedy this time around. They got the salary cap and concessions they needed to change the game and allow smaller markets to survive, but now they are trying to flex their muscle and take more away from the players. BUT ITS NOT ABOUT BETTMAN: HE IS A FIGUREHEAD WHO DOES WHAT HE IS COMMANDED BY HIS BOSSES!!! He is their advocate and tries to address issues the owners see as important, in a manner that satisfies them.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Not too many missed them last time they stopped playing for a full year.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
And again people want to demonize a figurehead rather than address the root of the issue.

The owners are getting greedy this time around. They got the salary cap and concessions they needed to change the game and allow smaller markets to survive, but now they are trying to flex their muscle and take more away from the players. BUT ITS NOT ABOUT BETTMAN: HE IS A FIGUREHEAD WHO DOES WHAT HE IS COMMANDED BY HIS BOSSES!!! He is their advocate and tries to address issues the owners see as important, in a manner that satisfies them.

Too true.............Betts is but a pawn of the owners which means we can simply add some owners to the a%&hole list.

Continuing to subsidize teams that have trouble filling their rinks game after game at the expense of the entire league is wrong in so many ways. And that is why I demonize Betts and certain league owners. Those teams belong back in Canada where at the very least they will be profitable. IMHO!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Too true.............Betts is but a pawn of the owners which means we can simply add some owners to the a%&hole list.

Continuing to subsidize teams that have trouble filling their rinks game after game at the expense of the entire league is wrong in so many ways. And that is why I demonize Betts and certain league owners. Those teams belong back in Canada where at the very least they will be profitable. IMHO!
Don't like your font, reminds me too much of my former place of employment.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think the NHL is too big.. by a third.. it can support itself in perhaps 24 markets in North America. The season is too long by third, it should be 54 rather than 84, games which would improve the product on the ice immeasurably.

The playoffs should look at the MLB and NFL model.. limit them to the top 8 teams (or so).. and wrap things up in 4 to 5 weeks.. before exhaustion and summer temperatures set in. Bring in the European Ice Surface in all arenas to open up the game and put a premium on skills. It's just too cramped.. and too violent.. in the North American Standard. Finally dump the overtimes in the regular season.. but give 3 points for a win, a 1 each for a tie.

Split the proceeds 50% of direct revenues (ticket and broadcast revenues) for player's salaries... the rest, including sponsorship for admin and profit.

There that's my RX for hockey. None of which makes any short term economic sense.. so Hockey will continue on as the struggling black sheep of major North American sporting franchises.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
i'm very impressed with the players assoc proposal they put forth yesterday, it is not a counter proposal
to the NHL's, but a completely different approach, and one that even bettman had to agree had been
thought out over time, and 'they' will take a couple of days to completely read it through before
replying.

for the first time in 'my' history of hearing all of the politics in these types of situations, the players
assoc put forward a very intelligent, thoughtful proposal and it will be very interesting to see just
how those NHL guys, including all of the owners react.

i'm holding my breath because maybe just maybe hockey will - um 'no' I just can't say it, i'll believe it
when I see it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Everyone is greedy here, its about transferring wealth from wealthy Canadian franchises to poorer American ones who shouldn't have a franchise in the first place. Most of the revenue growth has been from Canadian teams and the Rangers, not Nashville or TB. These smaller markets should die.

Bettman only needs 8 owners to go along with his schemes, its not majority rule here. It's a little weird, but he's no figurehead.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
And how much is the little knob paid ? I think sombody making 8 mill {as I heard on some radio show}shouldn't be asking the people that fans pay to see ,to take a pay cut.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I'd like it if networks would instead of airing games with these million dollars babies,would go to small arenas and air amateurs games,what in french we call "Ligues de garages" Garage leagues.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'd like it if networks would instead of airing games with these million dollars babies,would go to small arenas and air amateurs games,what in french we call "Ligues de garages" Garage leagues.

the whole thing is a business, about making money, they aren't going to do that, there is no profits in
that for them, this is the owners and NHL wanting these huge profits, and whatever those profits are,
they have to share with the players association in a fair way.

many years ago, when the players had 'no' association, they were ripped off for many years by
very greedy owners, who bullied them and payed them as little as possible, and put 'all' the profits
in their own pockets, and shared nothing.

amateurs, juniors are a different animal than professional sports, can't mix the two.
the players don't control the level of pay they receive, the owners and general managers do, as each
season they compete with each other over players, and have contradicted their own suggestions and
rules in the past by offering outragious contracts to players so that another team won't get that
player, and on it goes, and of course contracts following those new outragious ones will follow as
that has set a precedent, and players equal to those who were offered the huge dollars, will also
receive huge dollars.

A player isn't going to refuse those offeres, I know I wouldn't, but the players don't have the power
to set the amounts, but as soon as a gm or two makes those huge offers, it starts the ball rolling for
contracts to rise significantly for a while, 'till' next season, when the gen mgrs. start all of that
over again.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sad to know that now its the fans who get ripped off,pay a sh*tloads of money for bad seat,expensive beer and food,and walk on a sticky concrete floor.

and all of those inconveniences are about making more profits. I find the beer drinking at hockey games very
very irritating, people get it spilled on them, dumped on them, and the drinkers get louder and dumber
as the game goes on, 'BUT' more money comes in, and that is the bottom line.
and the price of beer and all of the food is crazy, when we go to a game we eat
before ever going thru the door to the game, and never even go to that area.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I think the NHL is too big.. by a third.. it can support itself in perhaps 24 markets in North America. The season is too long by third, it should be 54 rather than 84, games which would improve the product on the ice immeasurably.

The playoffs should look at the MLB and NFL model.. limit them to the top 8 teams (or so).. and wrap things up in 4 to 5 weeks.. before exhaustion and summer temperatures set in. Bring in the European Ice Surface in all arenas to open up the game and put a premium on skills. It's just too cramped.. and too violent.. in the North American Standard. Finally dump the overtimes in the regular season.. but give 3 points for a win, a 1 each for a tie.

Split the proceeds 50% of direct revenues (ticket and broadcast revenues) for player's salaries... the rest, including sponsorship for admin and profit.

There that's my RX for hockey. None of which makes any short term economic sense.. so Hockey will continue on as the struggling black sheep of major North American sporting franchises.

I agree with your general thrust, the season is way too long. Even owners won't mind missing the first two months of the season to avoid baseball World Series conflicts. Hockey in June is dumb. Bigger rinks would be so much better. And three points for a win.

But the NFL playoffs last almost three months.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
looks like there is definitely going to be a lock out for awhile, as the NHL has turned away from the
players assoc. offer, 'which was very sensible and fair', and many things leading up to the season
have been cancelled, so the writing is on the wall, guess it didn't matter what the players assoc.
came back with, (unless of course they accepted, in total, nhl first offer, which was insulting), so
bettman obviously had lock out settled in his brain, and on he goes toward that outcome.

the only thing in the players assoc ideas, that was possibly an argueing point, was returning to the same revenue sharing that they have now,
after 3 years, but bettman could have addressed that detail, and they could have negotiated on that,
made slight changes in those numbers, then come to an agreement.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I agree with your general thrust, the season is way too long. Even owners won't mind missing the first two months of the season to avoid baseball World Series conflicts. Hockey in June is dumb. Bigger rinks would be so much better. And three points for a win.

But the NFL playoffs last almost three months.

NFL Playoffs start beginning of January and end with Superbowl usually 1st week of Feb. 4 weeks of action (Wildcard, devision, conference and SuperBowl) + 1 week off before SuperBowl (ProBowl).