Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
An Edmonton high school teacher says he has been suspended for giving students zeros on uncompleted assignments or exams.
Lynden Dorval, a physics teacher at Ross Sheppard High School, has been giving the mark for work that wasn't handed in or tests not taken even though it goes against the school's "no-zero" policy.
The thinking behind the policy is that failing to complete assignments is a behavioural issue and marks should reflect ability, not behaviour.
Dorval said he couldn't in good conscience comply with the rule.
"I just didn't have a choice," he said. "I just couldn't not do it. I tried to talk myself out of it many times, but it was just something so important to me, I just had to go through with it."
The policy was adopted by the school 1½ years ago, Dorval said.
Teachers were told to no longer give zeros. Instead an uncompleted test or assignment would be marked with a comment.
The student's mark would then be based on whatever work is done.
"It's what they call social promotion," Dorval said "It's a way of pushing kids through even though they're not actually doing the work. It's a way of getting them through, getting their credits and of course making the staff look very good."
Teachers were instructed to use their "informed professional judgement" at the end of the year when handing out marks, he said.
"Some would, in fact, lower the mark on what wasn't done," Dorval said. "Other teachers would just let the mark go, so there was a real inconsistency on how (the policy) was being applied."
Dorval believes the policy leaves students with the impression they don't need to be accountable for their actions, he said.

Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s - Yahoo! News Canada

This is definitely in the WTF category. Most of you know what I think of todays teachers, and here we have a teacher that is willing to teach and be honest about a students marks and he get's suspended.

Yes, I read what the school board is saying, I call bullshyte on that.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Explains a lot that is wrong with society. It is no longer PC to suffer consequences of your actions. Can't fail the little darlins just because they don't do the work. Then when they "graduate" they are unleashed on an unsuspecting business world that expects employees to show up on time, dressed for work and able to follow simple instructions. Then they wonder why no one wants to pay them more than minimum wage.
I wish there were more teachers like that one. Bet he has lots of problems with his union leaders.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But it makes it so easy for everybody to meet the standards when there are none.

A 'no zero policy'? The school board should be ashamed!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't disagree with the need to give 0 when the work's not done, but I can see his problem was in not following the school rules. Luckily, he's at the stage where he can do that and not care about the consequences.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
He could have given a mark of 1

A mark of 1 for an incomplete or missed assignment? What would happen in the real world....when they have to work for a living? You get a pass for not completing assignments? You get a pat on the back for trying?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I can see a lot of red-faced school board trustees, trying to sell their BS excuse over his suspension and this policy. Edmonton may be the most "Liberal" place in Alberta, but that doesn't mean this kind of crap (the "no zero" policy) would go over well...

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The issue is non compliance. Would your workplace accept an employee differing markedly (no pun) from company policy? The policy is not the issue; respect for workplace rules is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The issue is non compliance. Would your workplace accept an employee differing markedly (no pun) from company policy? The policy is not the issue; respect for workplace rules is.

of course it is. Cause we can't have the little darlings feelings hurt by giving them the marks they earned.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A mark of 1 for an incomplete or missed assignment? What would happen in the real world....when they have to work for a living? You get a pass for not completing assignments? You get a pat on the back for trying?

He would have met an absurd policy - 1 is not 0 -

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I disagree. The issue is ethics and standards, the school board has none.

No wonder kids have such a difficult time when they finally hit adulthood. It's the first time many of them hit reality.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
In Edmonton, individual schools set grading policy within Board parameters. The time for debate was prior to the school year. Within a school, teachers must be consistent or all hell breaks loose among teachers, between the administraion and teachers, and with parents who rightly argue discriminatory practice.
I understand why a teacher might wish to assign zeros; it may even make sense for a school to adopt that measure; but, if the school decides otherwise, all must comply.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In Edmonton, individual schools set grading policy within Board parameters. The time for debate was prior to the school year. Within a school, teachers must be consistent or all hell breaks loose among teachers, between the administraion and teachers, and with parents who rightly argue discriminatory practice.
I understand why a teacher might wish to assign zeros; it may even make sense for a school to adopt that measure; but, if the school decides otherwise, all must comply.

and even if we take him out of the equation, it is stated in the article that the teachers were NOT consistent from one to the other. They all came up with grades differently.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The admistration has a duty to insist teachers are consistent. Otherwise, scholarships, university entrance, prospective employment are placed at risk and student morale is undermined.