Sea Shepherd's Paul Watson arrested in Germany

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The Canadian founder of an environmental activist group known for its confrontations with whalers and fishermen has been arrested in Germany for extradition to Costa Rica, where he is wanted for allegedly endangering a fishing boat in 2002, German prosecutors said Monday.

Paul Watson of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society was arrested Sunday at Frankfurt Airport on an international arrest warrant issued by Costa Rica, a spokesman for the local prosecutors' office said.

"He is alleged to have used a ship to intimidate another vessel and put its crew at risk in 2002," said the spokesman, Guenter Wittig.

Watson is currently in temporary custody and a judge will decide later whether to formally place him in detention pending extradition, Wittig said.

Sea Shepherd said Watson was filming a documentary at the time of the alleged incident.

It took place in Guatemalan waters, when the U.S.-based group said it encountered an illegal shark finning operation run by a Costa Rican ship, the Varadero.

Sea Shepherd said in a statement Sunday that it told the Varadero's crew to stop and head to port to be prosecuted. The crew accused Sea Shepherd of trying to kill them.

Watson tweeted late Sunday: "I am currently being held in Frankfurt on charges from Costa Rica. Court appearance in the morning." But there was no indication when that would take place.

The group was formed in 1977 and has had a controversial history.

It sends vessels to confront the Japanese fleet each year, trying to block them from firing harpoons at whales.

Its tactics have drawn praise from supporters and vehement attacks from critics.

According to Sea Shepherd, Watson is being assisted in jail by European Parliament vice-president Daniel Cohn Bendit and European deputy Jose Bove.

"Our hope is that these two honourable gentlemen can set Captain Watson free before this nonsense goes any further," Sea Shepherd said.

Source: Sea Shepherd's Paul Watson arrested in Germany - British Columbia - CBC News

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Trumped up charges by a corrupt and complicit Costa Rican gov't.

A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade said Ottawa "stands ready to provide consular services to a Canadian citizen who has been detained in Frankfurt, Germany."
WoooT!!!???

The Conservatives DFA is aiding an environmental activist!?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think most self respectable countries wouldn't even have an extradition treaty
with Costa Rica. We have a whole host of international criminals on the loose
some are even preachers who have done a hell of a lot worse than a protester.
Oh I know, he threatened the safety of another vessel and so on, these are the
types of charges that put nations credibility at risk and the judge will likely not
send him there. If he does it will be a long process.
I am not a big fan of Paul Watson, but this is really silly. I also think people like
him should be aware when they travel to other countries there is always the risk.
Think about it, we have a former president of the USA who was a drug addict
and we let him into the country. We even have a former Canadian Conrad Black
who would sell out his country to be a British Lord and he also ripped off people
to the point where he did prison time, we let him into the country. So Paul
Watson, the protester is a guy who leaves Canada and becomes the subject of
a manhunt because he was a protester.
Paul Watson does not deserve to be listed on an international warrant There
are other far more evil criminals out there they should be looking for.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was surprised to know he was a Canadian.. 8O

[youtube]CJCXxkxUVb8[/youtube]

Where in hell have you been? Sea Shepherd has been protesting the killing of whales for decades. Watson has been fairly successful
though his ships have been sunk and his people killed by hostile governments. If you don't know who Paul Watson is, why are you replying to this topic?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The Canadian founder of an environmental activist group known for its confrontations with whalers and fishermen has been arrested in Germany for extradition to Costa Rica, where he is wanted for allegedly endangering a fishing boat in 2002, German prosecutors said Monday.

Paul Watson of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society was arrested Sunday at Frankfurt Airport on an international arrest warrant issued by Costa Rica, a spokesman for the local prosecutors' office said.

Another thug using the environment as a shroud! (And a fat one at that)

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

I saw it there many times in Robbers passage as we used that route to get to our fishing grounds. If you ever boated through there you would wonder How the hell they got it in. Very narrow passage with several reefs and even tricky with a 24 ft boat.
Watson is a total hypocrite and attention*****.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Good, send him off, make an example out of him.

They love taking the law into their own hands, yet cry foul when the real law catches up to them.

If he did nothing wrong, than face the courts & prove your innocence.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Where in hell have you been? Sea Shepherd has been protesting the killing of whales for decades. Watson has been fairly successful
though his ships have been sunk and his people killed by hostile governments. If you don't know who Paul Watson is, why are you replying to this topic?

Let's see... maybe because I'm the OP.

Also busy with s RL job... no time to follow Canadian news from the USA