Don't buy insurance from Manulife.


captain morgan
#2
Do they offer policies that cover condoms?
 
55Mercury
+1
#3
how to get to the meat of the issue Cap'm!
 
L Gilbert
#4
That's sad. I wish people would actually read their policies, though. I guess some people just don't realize that if there's any way possible to squeeze money out of people, ins. companies will do it and they do NOT care about people.
Personally we have read ours, have been with the same ins. company for quite a while, and wouldn't get Manulife anyway. Not only that they have annoying ads on tv so that makes us even less likely to patronize the company.
 
55Mercury
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Do they offer policies that cover condoms?

It depends on what you'll say 'yes' to.

:?P
 
eh1eh
#6
When you go to 'Merica the mighty republic you will get what you get. Guess they should have had a team of lawyers proof their 'online' form.
 
B00Mer
#7
My Manulife dental through my employer in the USA worked great..

BlueCross Medical & Manulife Dental.. $160/mo for a single person still came out of my check. Ouch!!

Employer pays 50% of Medical, 100% of dental.

Sorry but if some Canadian in BC didn't read the fine print... it's called personal responsibility.
 
JLM
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

My Manulife dental through my employer in the USA worked great..

BlueCross Medical & Manulife Dental.. $160/mo for a single person still came out of my check. Ouch!!

Sorry but if some Canadian in BC didn't read the fine print... it's called personal responsibility.

These are elderly people the story is about and a lot of elders can only see large print!
 
taxslave
+3
#9  Top Rated Post
AS an insurance adjuster once told me: "Insurance companies are not in the business of paying out to clients. They are in the business of making money for their shareholders."
Bastards make bankers look like mother Teresa.
 
B00Mer
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

These are elderly people the story is about and a lot of elders can only see large print!

...and then seek consultation. Sorry, but if YOU can't read something, are YOU going to sign it?? YES or NO ??!!

It's to bad they are elderly..

O.K, another thing.. They owed $346,000 US in medical bills after their claim was denied. Well let's see, there is an International border between Canada & the USA.

They live in Canada, if they have no assets in the USA??

They can try and collect, but.. best of luck to the hospital. They have no right to sue in Canada, services were provided in the USA.
 
JLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

AS an insurance adjuster once told me: "Insurance companies are not in the business of paying out to clients. They are in the business of making money for their shareholders."
Bastards make bankers look like mother Teresa.

I don't think any brokers should tell that to too many clients.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

...and then seek consultation. Sorry, but if YOU can't read something, are YOU going to sign it?? YES or NO ??!!

It's to bad they are elderly..

O.K, another thing.. They owed $346,000 US in medical bills after their claim was denied. Well let's see, there is an International border between Canada & the USA.

They live in Canada, if they have no assets in the USA??

They can try and collect, but.. best of luck to the hospital. They have no right to sue in Canada, services were provided in the USA.

I think the best bet would be to buy ALL insurance through BCAA (CAA). They seem pretty good at pointing out little "hangups".
 
B00Mer
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think the best bet would be to buy ALL insurance through BCAA (CAA). They seem pretty good at pointing out little "hangups".

I suppose so.. but as far as their debt to a USA hospital.. gotta love that International border.
 
PoliticalNick
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

I suppose so.. but as far as their debt to a USA hospital.. gotta love that International border.

I have to agree to a point. If you have a reasonable knowledge of civil law and are willing to put in some time doing reasearch you could certainly make it so it was not worth the $350k to chase you in Canada. That would probably also preclude you from travelling to the states anymore but who cares about that...don't want to go there anyway.
 
B00Mer
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

I have to agree to a point. If you have a reasonable knowledge of civil law and are willing to put in some time doing reasearch you could certainly make it so it was not worth the $350k to chase you in Canada. That would probably also preclude you from travelling to the states anymore but who cares about that...don't want to go there anyway.

Look, I'm going to bash the USA.. but I have lived on both sides of the fence.

There are plenty of nicer places to visit and you don't even have to land in the USA. Belize, direct flights from Toronto.

...and not to toot my own horn.. if you are looking to buy or sell something while you're down their.. Belize Classifieds | Buy Sell Autos, Real Estate, Jobs, Items for Sale (external - login to view)







 
Goober
+3
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

My Manulife dental through my employer in the USA worked great..

BlueCross Medical & Manulife Dental.. $160/mo for a single person still came out of my check. Ouch!!

Employer pays 50% of Medical, 100% of dental.

Sorry but if some Canadian in BC didn't read the fine print... it's called personal responsibility.


Read the article - Lots of times a Dr will place a notation on your file, and you are not aware of it. Happens all the time.
He answered to the best of his knowledge. These polices are set up to screw you. And tons of exclusions - Even gettin a vacination for Hep A/B in the 3 months prior can be used to exclude a claim.

So before you slam the couple check out the massive problems with these companies and how they write their policies.

In the last two (2) years, have you been prescribed or received treatment for and/or been hospitalized (as an in-patient or seen in the emergency department) and/or been prescribed or taken medication for any of the following conditions: diverticular disorder or gastrointestinal bleeding?"

Bill insists that he didn’t know what was spelled out in his medical file or that he’d been diagnosed with those two conditions. He thought all his symptoms were related to the colon cancer he’d had surgery for 19 months earlier.

"Most importantly to me would be the question, 'What does anything, what does anything related to this have to do with Bill’s heart?'" Tracy said. "Absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing."
 
bill barilko
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

They live in Canada, if they have no assets in the USA?? They can try and collect, but.. best of luck to the hospital. They have no right to sue in Canada, services were provided in the USA.

The hospital uses a collection agency-who probably don't have a leg to stand on in Canada but that won't stop them from harassing people.

The thing to do would be to Get Tough with the collection agency-threaten them with legal action if they phone one more time that sort of thing-curse them hard every time they call/hang up or just leave the phone hanging for hours.

It's for sure no one will make house calls to try and collect in Gold River.


Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Guess they should have had a team of lawyers proof their 'online' form.

He certainly should have been better informed.


Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Read the article - Lots of times a Dr will place a notation on your file, and you are not aware of it. Happens all the time. He answered to the best of his knowledge.

Yes and No-he could have phoned his DR's office and asked what was in his file.

Would most people do that?

No.
 
damngrumpy
#17
And many want to privatize the system here. That would be a bad idea. I would not buy
anything from a company like this. Private insurance companies are worse than lawyers
for not telling the truth or pulling stunts. You have to read the policy and take your time
with each and every line of the policy. When I am being sold something that could have
big ticket results I always take the view they are not honest therefore I am very careful
about who I do business with. I feel for these people but they trusted the wrong people
 
B00Mer
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

And many want to privatize the system here. That would be a bad idea. I would not buy
anything from a company like this.

As I have posted, I have had the Private Insurance in the USA and in Canada (Alberta & BC) government health insurance.

Now which one do I prefer?? Canada's Health system. I just wish they would adopt 1 US feature, a co-payment.

Charge a $25 co-payment per visit to the doctors office and $50 co-payment to the Hospital.

1 it would slow down the abuse of people misusing the system. Going to emergency for a soar throat, rather than making an appointment with the doctor.

2. It would compensate the doctor, and the hospitals..

3. I think it would solve some financial shortfalls in our medical system.

Because of the US Health system I almost died of Cancer. 4 US Hospitals/Doctors misdiagnosed and sent me home. When I return to Canada to my doctor here and ENT at St. Joseph's Hospital, they had me under the knife within a month.

Lost 50% of my feeling in my face.. Thanks to The Canadian Health System I'm alive

The US system is the best system money can buy.
 
damngrumpy
#19
I am not crazy about that either and for a self serving reason. My wife has a couple of
conditions and during normal times we could go for a year maybe a year and a half
without a problem. Her breathing condition starts up and within an hour we could be in
emergency or even ICU. Sometimes it is a smaller problem but advice from medical
staff is don't take a chance her Doctor will see her even over other patients if her condition
begins signs of trouble. The two times we didn't make repeated trips to the Doctor or the
emergency ward, she ended up in an ambulance and a longer period in hospital.
There are others out there with similar situations and people will hold off until the problem
is much worse and more severe.
I suppose we could exempt certain conditions from co pay depending on the situation but
over all as a blanket policy I can not agree.
 
B00Mer
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I suppose we could exempt certain conditions from co pay depending on the situation but
over all as a blanket policy I can not agree.

My co-pay under private Insurance for a visit to emergency was $100

Office Visit $25
Emergency Room $100
Urgent Care $50
RX copay $20/35/50

Now with all those copay's I have a $3000 deductible in a certain period for certain operations .. and it goes on with BS.

Just be thankful you're a Canadian.. it really is the best country in the World.

Even with the Right Honourable Telemarketer of Canada, Steven Harper at the Helm. LOL
 
Kreskin
+1
#21
I would never buy travel health if it didn't come with first payer coverage, ie the insurance company arranges and pays for medical. Paying first then trying to collect is crazy. Unfortunately people will spend $10,000 on a trip but cut corners to save $20 bucks on the cheapest health insurance they can find.
Last edited by Kreskin; Mar 10th, 2012 at 09:53 PM..
 
Bar Sinister
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

That's sad. I wish people would actually read their policies, though. I guess some people just don't realize that if there's any way possible to squeeze money out of people, ins. companies will do it and they do NOT care about people.
Personally we have read ours, have been with the same ins. company for quite a while, and wouldn't get Manulife anyway. Not only that they have annoying ads on tv so that makes us even less likely to patronize the company.

I expect some people do read their insurance polices and still get screwed. The problem is that insurance companies make the application forms deliberately complicated, hoping for an error that will let them off the hook. If I were the couple in question I would do what they have done, go to the media. But I would also go farther than that. I expect that if this was challenged in court they would probably win.
 
JLM
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

I expect some people do read their insurance polices and still get screwed. The problem is that insurance companies make the application forms deliberately complicated, hoping for an error that will let them off the hook. If I were the couple in question I would do what they have done, go to the media. But I would also go farther than that. I expect that if this was challenged in court they would probably win.

Yep- perhaps the words "in good faith" need to take precedence over "fine print".
 
bill barilko
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I would never buy travel health if it didn't come with first payer coverage, ie the insurance company arranges and pays for medical. Paying first then trying to collect is crazy.

Point taken.
 
bobnoorduyn
#25
They had a good report on this on Marketplace, (yes, I watch CBC at times). The lawyer they interviewed used to work for an insurance company and said the forms are terribly misleading. The travel agents are terribly uninformed, and they are the ones who sell the policies, even reps from the insurance companies, when called upon for clarification, don't seem to have a clue. The questionaires are drawn up by legal teams, so even getting your doctor's help to fill them out is like getting your plumber to fix your wiring. I get an annual ECG which is mandatory for anyone in my profession over age 40 for license renewal. This would be deemed "treatment" even though I'me not being treated for anything, its a trap. Our group plan covers out of country expenses, the travel insurance industry targets those over 60 who are most likely to be no longer covered by employer plans.
 
Niflmir
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

...and then seek consultation. Sorry, but if YOU can't read something, are YOU going to sign it?? YES or NO ??!!

It's to bad they are elderly..

O.K, another thing.. They owed $346,000 US in medical bills after their claim was denied. Well let's see, there is an International border between Canada & the USA.

They live in Canada, if they have no assets in the USA??

They can try and collect, but.. best of luck to the hospital. They have no right to sue in Canada, services were provided in the USA.

Actually, the problem here is that they did not know what was in their medical records. In fact, very few people do. In this day and age, there is no reason why a person should even have to fill out such a questionnaire. Given that manulife was able to acquire the medical record to determine that their answers were inconsistent with the medical record, what business did they have asking the questions in the first place?

Insurance policies are always a bad idea, on a balance of probabilities. If an insurance company can make money, then it means that you are not getting your money's worth of health care. This is the whole idea behind socialized medicine.
 
Tonington
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Charge a $25 co-payment per visit to the doctors office and $50 co-payment to the Hospital.

1 it would slow down the abuse of people misusing the system. Going to emergency for a soar throat, rather than making an appointment with the doctor.

2. It would compensate the doctor, and the hospitals..

3. I think it would solve some financial shortfalls in our medical system.

It might slow down frivolous visits, but it would also have the effect of dissuading people to go to the doctor or hospital. Especially the poorest, who would then end up going only for an emergency, which is far more costly than preventative medicine.
 
JamesBondo
+1
#28
Insurance is about the many paying for the needs of the few.

Screwing the few out of their claim is unethical and intolerable.

An insurance company is only as good as the trust that they are able to build. If this company can't be trusted, I suggest that everyone think twice before doing business with them.
 
taxslave
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I don't think any brokers should tell that to too many clients.



I think the best bet would be to buy ALL insurance through BCAA (CAA). They seem pretty good at pointing out little "hangups".

It wasn't a broker. It was an adjuster. They are the ones hired by insurance companies to screw you out of your money after you file a claim. Not the ones that sell you false coverage in the first place.
In my case I had a machine burn up and the insurance company would only pay out on what they claimed was the auction value of the machine, about half the value they were charging me premiums on.
 
Goober
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I would never buy travel health if it didn't come with first payer coverage, ie the insurance company arranges and pays for medical. Paying first then trying to collect is crazy. Unfortunately people will spend $10,000 on a trip but cut corners to save $20 bucks on the cheapest health insurance they can find.

I purchase thru the travel agency - Not these others - Pay a tad more but coverage is better.
 

Similar Threads

11
Car Insurance
by selfactivated | Mar 23rd, 2007
no new posts