Don't buy insurance from Manulife.

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

These are elderly people the story is about and a lot of elders can only see large print!

What? No kids, other relatives, friends, etc. to read for them?

I think the best bet would be to buy ALL insurance through BCAA (CAA). They seem pretty good at pointing out little "hangups".

Been getting travel insurance from them for years. They have good policies.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

I expect some people do read their insurance polices and still get screwed. The problem is that insurance companies make the application forms deliberately complicated, hoping for an error that will let them off the hook. If I were the couple in question I would do what they have done, go to the media. But I would also go farther than that. I expect that if this was challenged in court they would probably win.

If I didn't understand an insurance policy I would either start looking elsewhere or I`d spend the $75 my lawyer wants to explain it to me. Even 10 times $75 would be cheaper than risking my ins. company saying "Sorry, you're not covered, suck it up, buttercup and pay the bill".

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

If I didn't understand an insurance policy I would either start looking elsewhere or I`d spend the $75 my lawyer wants to explain it to me. Even 10 times $75 would be cheaper than risking my ins. company saying "Sorry, you're not covered, suck it up, buttercup and pay the bill".

Can you trust lawyers 100%? You might save $75 by reading the fine print and then typing it up as you understand it and take that into your insurance agent to sign. Then you should have him by the balls!

You might also show it to your doctor to ensure he is going to corroborate the info you've provided. (if he'll do it without billing you )

L Gilbert

Can you trust lawyers 100%?

On some things. It's worth his while to be honest with me.
Quote:

You might save $75 by reading the fine print and then typing it up as you understand it and take that into your insurance agent to sign. Then you should have him by the balls!

Whatever works for you.

Quote:

You might also show it to your doctor to ensure he is going to corroborate the info you've provided. (if he'll do it without billing you )

Whatever works.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I purchase thru the travel agency - Not these others - Pay a tad more but coverage is better.

So you think...

Anyway your naïveté is touching.

Tonington
It's really consumer protection that is the problem here. Long sentences with multiple conditions lumped in together is poor form. Make the questionaires easy, one answer for one subject in the question. Unambiguous yes or no answers. That's what it could take to do business here in Canada. The older generation is a big voting bloc, I'm sure someone could make a proposal that the government would like. And right now, I'm sure they would love the distraction.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

It wasn't a broker. It was an adjuster. They are the ones hired by insurance companies to screw you out of your money after you file a claim. Not the ones that sell you false coverage in the first place.

Wrong.

If an adjuster screws up, you can at least claim for damages, whereas a broker will claim that you signed and agreed to the policy they sold you so it's not their fault. It should go without saying that adjusters will try to get the best deal for the insurance company, but they have to abide by some strict insurance standards or they'll be acting in bad faith.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

So you think...

Anyway your naïveté is touching.

Well then enlighten me on what I am doing wrong. More than willing to listen. Marlin falls under Air Transat i believe