Nanny State gone Mad!!! Gun drawing causes arrest....


Locutus
+1
#31
This smarmy, weak little pink-tied prick (see video of our man in the link below) is trying to have you believe that they 'co-parent' ( that's right), our children.


Brian Lilley « Lilley (external - login to view)



Somewhat similar to another famous 'educator'.



Uncle Buck 810 Movie CLIP - Moley Russels Wart 1989 HD - YouTube

Last edited by Locutus; Feb 28th, 2012 at 03:43 AM..
 
petros
#32
Buck Melanoma. LOL
 
Serryah
+3
#33
I saw this but in article form last night. I still don't get it. It's like common sense has said "Screw you all!" and has fled humanity.

I can understand the cops wanting to be careful and I can sort of understand a concern that the child might be hurt, but instead of arresting the dad AT THE SCHOOL (which probably traumatized the kids causing more damage to the girl's psyche than some drawing of a gun) and strip searching him later, why didn't the cops that were at the school just ask, "Do you have a gun in the home?" and go from there?

I mean, the teacher should have gotten a clue when the girl said "My daddy fights monsters" that it wasn't real, but then I remember common sense, no one has any anymore.

If I were the parent, I'd look at talking to a lawyer.
 
pgs
+1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

I saw this but in article form last night. I still don't get it. It's like common sense has said "Screw you all!" and has fled humanity.

I can understand the cops wanting to be careful and I can sort of understand a concern that the child might be hurt, but instead of arresting the dad AT THE SCHOOL (which probably traumatized the kids causing more damage to the girl's psyche than some drawing of a gun) and strip searching him later, why didn't the cops that were at the school just ask, "Do you have a gun in the home?" and go from there?

I mean, the teacher should have gotten a clue when the girl said "My daddy fights monsters" that it wasn't real, but then I remember common sense, no one has any anymore.

If I were the parent, I'd look at talking to a lawyer.

He has got a good one.
So lets see that means that the school teacher, her principle, the social services people and the police officers will all need their own lawyers,compliments of the tax payer.
Any compensation or damages awarded will be paid by the taxpayer.
And best of all there will be no job action against any envolved.
Canada eh Pity.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

It was a DRAWING.

There was NO evidence of criminal activity.

There are a million legally owned restricted weapons in Canada. What exactly gives the police the right to assume that a picture representing a gun represents an illegal gun????????

If my kid draws a picture of a car, does that mean the police have the right to arrest me, handcuff me, strip search me, remove my family from the house, and search for an illegal vehicle????

One is as ludicrous as the other.

The victim here should be consulting a lawyer, and demanding satisfaction.

As far as anyone knows, he doesn't even OWN a gun.

Imagine now, if this had been my house, and the police search turned up my collection........all legally held, but dammit, can you imagine?

I'd have been there a week, refusing to answer their questions.

There is simply no excuse for this.

NONE.



The state does not.

Since the children were at school and the father was there too, presumably to pick them up..there was no eminent danger...so the proper procedure for the police if they could provide reasonable cause for a search was to get a warrant from a judge or a justice of the peace.
Had the father been an ethnic minority or if the child had drawn a marijuana plant....the usual suspects in this forum would be up in arm....but a toy gun....OMG
 
mentalfloss
#36
Ezra and Lilley in one thread.

Now I know the thread is for realz.
 
earth_as_one
+1
#37
My point about the complaint being about a black man in the Jane and Finch area is that who and where the person lives makes no difference. The police must react the same way. They can't make assumptions based on race and neighborhood.

Let's suppose you are the police officer and you got a complaint from the staff at an elementary schools that based on a drawing and statements made by a four year old girl, they suspect her father had a loaded gun which was accessible to a 4 year old.

Apparently everyone here would ignore the complaint. So after recording the call and dismissing the complaint as a little girl's imagination, the next call you get regarding this family is something along this lines:

February 27, 2012
A homeowner wasn’t home when two of his neighbor’s children apparently found a shotgun in his bathroom and accidentally fired it, killing one of them. It was unclear whether anyone would face charges after the 5-year-old girl’s death
Man wasn’t home when neighbor kids found gun | mercedes, neighbor, death - Death probe - Brownsville Herald (external - login to view)

As the police officer who did nothing regarding the first report, Where is your ass now? I bet Joe Public would complain about your lack common sense, only this time, common sense in hindsight, indicates that you should have investigated the little girls complaint.

Police have no way of knowing what is or isn't real based on a 4 year old's statement. But such statements must be followed up. In this case, the report was a false alarm about a toy gun. I would agree that the police reaction did far more harm than good. But the same complaint under different circumstances with the same police response could have saved lives.

BTW, I'm not saying that the police reacted properly. I'm only saying they had to react. I disagree with those of you who believe that the police should routinely ignore statements by 4 year olds. I'm saying they had to react, taking into account the statement was by a 4 year old and that they could have reacted better.

Since gun accidents kill about 500 children a year, the police doing nothing in response to this report from school staff would have been criminally negligent.

Gun Accidents Kill 500 Kids a Year
August 1, 2008
This week, a toddler fatally shot himself after finding a gun in his parent's car. According to Jackson, Miss., authorities, the 3-year-old was sitting in the car at a gas station when he found the gun in the front seat and shot himself in the face. Police questioned the boy's parents, but no charges have been filed. But these aren't freak accidents. More than 500 children die annually from accidental gunshots. Some shoot themselves, while others kill friends or siblings after discovering a gun.
Gun Accidents Kill 500 Kids a Year | momlogic.com (external - login to view)

A police officer gets a report of a 4 year old child playing with a hand gun by the neighbor's 4 year old kid.

Should they:

a) enter the house without a search warrant

b) take a number at the court house and after a few hours, they get their warrant to search the house

c) do nothing, reports of 4 year olds playing with handguns by other children shouldn't be taken seriously
 
taxslave
+1
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

My point about the complaint being about a black man in the Jane and Finch area is that who and where the person lives makes no difference. The police must react the same way. They can't make assumptions based on race and neighborhood.

Let's suppose you are the police officer and you got a complaint from the staff at an elementary schools that based on a drawing and statements made by a four year old girl, they suspect her father had a loaded gun which was accessible to a 4 year old.

Apparently everyone here would ignore the complaint. So after recording the call and dismissing the complaint as a little girl's imagination, the next call you get regarding this family is something along this lines:

February 27, 2012
A homeowner wasn’t home when two of his neighbor’s children apparently found a shotgun in his bathroom and accidentally fired it, killing one of them. It was unclear whether anyone would face charges after the 5-year-old girl’s death
Man wasn’t home when neighbor kids found gun | mercedes, neighbor, death - Death probe - Brownsville Herald (external - login to view)

As the police officer who did nothing regarding the first report, Where is your ass now? I bet Joe Public would complain about your lack common sense, only this time, common sense in hindsight, indicates that you should have investigated the little girls complaint.

Police have no way of knowing what is or isn't real based on a 4 year old's statement. But such statements must be followed up. In this case, the report was a false alarm about a toy gun. I would agree that the police reaction did far more harm than good. But the same complaint under different circumstances with the same police response could have saved lives.

BTW, I'm not saying that the police reacted properly. I'm only saying they had to react. I disagree with those of you who believe that the police should routinely ignore statements by 4 year olds. I'm saying they had to react, taking into account the statement was by a 4 year old and that they could have reacted better.

Since gun accidents kill about 500 children a year, the police doing nothing in response to this report from school staff would have been criminally negligent.

Gun Accidents Kill 500 Kids a Year
August 1, 2008
This week, a toddler fatally shot himself after finding a gun in his parent's car. According to Jackson, Miss., authorities, the 3-year-old was sitting in the car at a gas station when he found the gun in the front seat and shot himself in the face. Police questioned the boy's parents, but no charges have been filed. But these aren't freak accidents. More than 500 children die annually from accidental gunshots. Some shoot themselves, while others kill friends or siblings after discovering a gun.
Gun Accidents Kill 500 Kids a Year | momlogic.com (external - login to view)

A police officer gets a report of a 4 year old child playing with a hand gun by the neighbor's 4 year old kid.

Should they:

a) enter the house without a search warrant

b) take a number at the court house and after a few hours, they get their warrant to search the house

c) do nothing, reports of 4 year olds playing with handguns by other children shouldn't be taken seriously

Better take your meds again. I couldn't come up something that bizzare with drugs.
 
DaSleeper
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Better take your meds again. I couldn't come up something that bizzare with drugs.

Yup ......and his last paragraph... a hypothetical to justify a police state...
"Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it"
 
earth_as_one
+2
#40
So if I understand the source of your ridicule, if a little girl told you that she plays with her Daddy's gun, you would do nothing because 4 year olds claims about playing with handguns shouldn't be taken seriously.

Would anyone else react differently? How would you expect the police to react?
 
DaSleeper
+1
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

So if I understand the source of your ridicule, if a little girl told you that she plays with her Daddy's gun, you would do nothing because 4 year olds claims about playing with handguns shouldn't be taken seriously.

Would anyone else react differently? How would you expect the police to react?

From a girl drawing a picture to one who says she plays with daddy's guns.....

That's an Olympic style long jump...or......goal post move

If she had drawn a dynamite stick...you would suggest a swat team?????
 
Colpy
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post


Gun Accidents Kill 500 Kids a Year
August 1, 2008
This week, a toddler fatally shot himself after finding a gun in his parent's car. According to Jackson, Miss., authorities, the 3-year-old was sitting in the car at a gas station when he found the gun in the front seat and shot himself in the face. Police questioned the boy's parents, but no charges have been filed. But these aren't freak accidents. More than 500 children die annually from accidental gunshots. Some shoot themselves, while others kill friends or siblings after discovering a gun.
Gun Accidents Kill 500 Kids a Year | momlogic.com (external - login to view)

A police officer gets a report of a 4 year old child playing with a hand gun by the neighbor's 4 year old kid.

Should they:

a) enter the house without a search warrant

b) take a number at the court house and after a few hours, they get their warrant to search the house

c) do nothing, reports of 4 year olds playing with handguns by other children shouldn't be taken seriously


Okay, let's put this in perspective.

In the USA, a child is 48 times more apt to be killed in a vehicle than in a firearms accident.
Does this mean that a child's drawing of a car in kindergarten justifies arrest, raid, and search???

In the USA, a child is 9 times more apt to be choked or strangled accidentally than to be killed in a gun accident.
Does this mean that a child's drawing of a scarf in kindergarten justifies arrest, raid, and search???

In the USA, a child is 7 times more apt to be drowned than to be killed in a firearms accident.
Does this mean that a child's drawing of a swimming pool in kindergarten justifies arrest, raid, and search???

In the USA, a child is 7 times more apt to be poisoned than accidentally killed with a firearm.
Does this mean that a child's drawing mommy using laundry bleach in kindergarten justifies arrest, raid, and search???

In the USA, a child is 3 times more apt to be burned to death than accidentally killed with a firearm.
Does this mean that a child's drawing of a campfire in kindergarten justifies arrest, raid, and search???

Beginning to see how ludicrous your stance is???

BTW, in 2007, 138 "children" 0-19 yrs were killed in gun accidents in the USA. That is a lot less than 500.

National Child Mortality Data (external - login to view)
 
earth_as_one
+1
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

From a girl drawing a picture to one who says she plays with daddy's guns.....

That's an Olympic style long jump...or......goal post move

If she had drawn a dynamite stick...you would suggest a swat team?????

The drawing of the gun by itself didn't create a false perception:

The junior kindergarten teacher saw it (the drawing of a handgun), questioned Neveah about it, and feared there was a gun in the girl's home that the children were playing with. The school called social services, who in turn called the cops.
After going through the home, executing a warrant, police found a see-through plastic toy that fires plastic darts.
"We have seen these weapons, we have seen these 'items' out in our community, they have been altered and would appear to an adult to be a real firearm, and in these cases they were used to commit robberies, and in this case I am not surprised that a child had the belief that it was real," Thaler said.

She didn't just draw the gun. The drawing of a hand gun initiated a discussion where she said indicated she believed it was a real gun. I don't have a transcript of the questions the girl was asked and her answers, but I'd be willing to bet that they school staff also asked these questions:

Does Daddy let you hold the gun?

Does Daddy let you play with the gun?

Have you ever fired the gun?

Considering it was a dart gun, Daddy probably did let her fire the "gun" and let her play with it when he wasn't around.

Likely her answers along with the drawing itself created an impression (false as it turns out) that the girl had access to a real gun. I doubt that the school staff and police would have acted this way based on a drawing alone. That you would have this impression speaks volumes about your ability to think critically. News reports can be as inaccurate and misleading as a 4 year old's testimony. Most likely the girl's answers triggered the school staff and police reaction far more than the drawing which initiated the discussion.

I'm pretty sure that standard procedure for police when they believe there is a chance someone has a concealed weapon is to handcuff and search them. However a conversation with the father first, might have defused the situation.

Do you have a hand gun? No
Your daughter claims you have a hand gun and lets her play with it? Dumbfounded look on father's face, followed by "What?"

It wouldn't take too much detective work to get to the truth. A few more questions and a trip to the house with the father and daughter and ask the girl "Is this the gun that Daddy uses to shoot monsters and bad people".... case closed.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Okay, let's put this in perspective.
....

National Child Mortality Data (external - login to view)

I bet the numbers are far lower in Canada than in the US. I don't have comparable numbers, but I found this:
www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/r..._4/p6.html#a64 (external - login to view)

Relax Colpy, I have no intention in interfering with law abiding citizens like yourself acquiring hand guns. In fact, I encourage anyone with an interest in firearms to join a gun club and take lessons from a qualified person. Colpy sounds like a qualified person.

I am only against people who acquire firearms illegally and/or store them improperly. In these cases, I support the police using judgement and common sense to enforce the law.
Last edited by earth_as_one; Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:56 AM..
 
Colpy
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

The drawing of the gun by itself didn't create a false perception:

The junior kindergarten teacher saw it (the drawing of a handgun), questioned Neveah about it, and feared there was a gun in the girl's home that the children were playing with. The school called social services, who in turn called the cops.
After going through the home, executing a warrant, police found a see-through plastic toy that fires plastic darts.
"We have seen these weapons, we have seen these 'items' out in our community, they have been altered and would appear to an adult to be a real firearm, and in these cases they were used to commit robberies, and in this case I am not surprised that a child had the belief that it was real," Thaler said.

She didn't just draw the gun. The drawing of a hand gun initiated a discussion where she said indicated she believed it was a real gun. I don't have a transcript of the questions the girl was asked and her answers, but I'd be willing to bet that they school staff also asked these questions:

Does Daddy let you hold the gun?

Does Daddy let you play with the gun?

Have you ever fired the gun?

Considering it was a dart gun, Daddy probably did let her fire the "gun" and let her play with it when he wasn't around.

Likely her answers along with the drawing itself created an impression (false as it turns out) that the girl had access to a real gun. I doubt that the school staff and police would have acted this way based on a drawing alone. That you would have this impression speaks volumes about your ability to think critically. News reports can be as inaccurate and misleading as a 4 year old's testimony. Most likely the girl's answers triggered the school staff and police reaction far more than the drawing which initiated the discussion.

I'm pretty sure that standard procedure for police when they believe there is a chance someone has a concealed weapon is to handcuff and search them. However a conversation with the father first, might have defused the situation.

Do you have a hand gun? No
Your daughter claims you have a hand gun and lets her play with it? Dumbfounded look on father's face, followed by "What?"

It wouldn't take too much detective work to get to the truth. A few more questions and a trip to the house with the father and daughter and ask the girl "Is this the gun that Daddy uses to shoot monsters and bad people".... case closed.



I bet the numbers are far lower in Canada than in the US. I don't have comparable numbers, but I found this:
6. Accidents - Firearms, Accidental Deaths, Suicides and Violent Crime: An Updated Review of the Literature with Special Reference to the Canadian Situation (external - login to view)

Relax Colpy, I have no intention in interfering with law abiding citizens like yourself acquiring hand guns. In fact, I encourage anyone with an interest in firearms to join a gun club and take lessons from a qualified person. Colpy sounds like a qualified person.

I am only against people who acquire firearms illegally and/or store them improperly. In these cases, I support the police using judgement and common sense to enforce the law.

The most detailed piece I have yet found on the situation:

TheRecord - Police chief wants review of arrest sparked by gun... (external - login to view)

There was no warrant, although it appears the citizen gave the police permission to search.

Silly bugger.

Which still leaves the question of his arrest, and that of his family. As well as the pressure exerted on him to allow what was an unreasonable search.

We'll see.
 
lone wolf
+2
#45
Good thing the kid wasn't 11....

Now, if this was in Palestine, would there be some switching of shoes?
 
earth_as_one
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

The most detailed piece I have yet found on the situation:

TheRecord - Police chief wants review of arrest sparked by gun... (external - login to view)

There was no warrant, although it appears the citizen gave the police permission to search.

Silly bugger.

Which still leaves the question of his arrest, and that of his family. As well as the pressure exerted on him to allow what was an unreasonable search.

We'll see.

Actually, as I understand the game police play with uncooperative people, his choice was either give the police permission to search his house now, or wait in a prison cell for the police to get a judge to sign a warrant to search his home. In other words, do you want out of prison now or later... with later meaning hours to days..

I think the police over reacted, but I do think they had no choice to act and follow this up. Doing nothing after a little girl testifies to having access to a hand gun would be irresponsible.
 
MHz
+1
#47
Teach them to draw it with the 'safety on' and finger off the trigger.

It then become an education tool. if the kid can describe how to clean a semi-auto with a blindfold on, you might want to 'interview the parents' make them do a gun safety presentation to the students and other parents.


PS keeping a part out that makes the gun as useful as any other hammer might be a way to beat a gun charge yet 'have access to a working weapon' in a few minutes. Take the bolt out of a long-gun and put it in your pocket means you can carry it in your vehicle as it is in a non-working condition. No I haven't tried it, lol
Last edited by MHz; Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:59 PM..
 
earth_as_one
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Good thing the kid wasn't 11....

Now, if this was in Palestine, would there be some switching of shoes?

One person's testimony is evidence and may or may not be considered convincing or definitive proof depending on the details and supporting evidence.

Girl: My Daddy has a colt 45 handgun. Its heavy and black. When I pull back the hammer, it makes a click. When I pull the trigger, it makes a loud bang, which scared me at first. But now I use it to shoot at tin cans on the fence in the back yard when Daddy's not home. I even take it with me to school sometimes to scare people I don't like.

Many people independently saying the same thing with supporting evidence, makes the story more convincing.

Neighbor1: Yes we heard someone shooting a firearm next door. I looked over the fence and saw a little girl with a hand gun.
Neighbor2: We heard someone shooting too, but we were too scared to look. But a bullet came through the window here and hit the refrigerator here. There's the bullet.

At some point the evidence becomes too much to deny, unless you are LoneWolf, who seems to have an amazing ability to deny overwhelming evidence in order to maintain their beliefs, when it comes to certain topics.
 
Colpy
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Actually, as I understand the game police play with uncooperative people, his choice was either give the police permission to search his house now, or wait in a prison cell for the police to get a judge to sign a warrant to search his home. In other words, do you want out of prison now or later... with later meaning hours to days..

I think the police over reacted, but I do think they had no choice to act and follow this up. Doing nothing after a little girl testifies to having access to a hand gun would be irresponsible.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

My kids always had access to handguns.

One of the big problems is a kid's fascination with weapons as forbidden items, which leads them to seek them out and play with them secretively. . My theory was to innoculate my kids against any such action by making the guns simply like any other item....in other words, if the wanted to look at guns, I would open up my gun locker, and let them safely see and examine firearms under my watchful eye. I always pounded it into them....ONLY with me, and the four safety rules........

When my daughter was four, she could tell you how to field strip my Browning 9mm.

Actually, I may have done too good a job at demystifying firearms....neither of my kids show any real interest in the shooting sports. (sigh)

You need a REASON to search a man's castle.....some evidence of a CRIME being committed.

THERE WAS NONE.
 
lone wolf
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

One person's testimony is evidence and may or may not be considered convincing or definitive proof depending on the details and supporting evidence.

Girl: My Daddy has a colt 45 handgun. Its heavy and black. When I pull back the hammer, it makes a click. When I pull the trigger, it makes a loud bang, which scared me at first. But now I use it to shoot at tin cans on the fence in the back yard when Daddy's not home. I even take it with me to school sometimes to scare people I don't like.

Many people independently saying the same thing with supporting evidence, makes the story more convincing.

Neighbor1: Yes we heard someone shooting a firearm next door. I looked over the fence and saw a little girl with a hand gun.
Neighbor2: We heard someone shooting too, but we were too scared to look. But a bullet came through the window here and hit the refrigerator here. There's the bullet.

At some point the evidence becomes too much to deny, unless you are LoneWolf, who seems to have an amazing ability to deny overwhelming evidence in order to maintain their beliefs, when it comes to certain topics.

Was there a shot fired or are you resorting to the old I-like-it-so-it's-okay thing again? You'd have pages of aghast cut 'n' paste if the cops were Israeli
 
earth_as_one
+2
#51
Colpy, I think you misunderstand my post.

I am not saying I agree with games police play. I'm saying what you can expect if the police want to search your house.

I am not saying the police had grounds to arrest the father, but they did have to following up a report that a 4 year old girl was playing with a hand gun.

I support parents teaching their children skills, including how to handle firearms. If you have firearms in the house, you better show them what they are, what they do, how to hold them, the purpose of the safety, muzzle control, checking to see if loaded. When they are a little older, and able to physically carry them properly, they should learn how to load and fire. They should not be curious about the unknown and passing on a skill like this can be a bonding activity.

When i was a kid, the firearms in the house were always stored unloaded (but accessible) and the ammo was in a locked box. Now storing firearms like that would be illegal I think. I learned how to handle and shoot firearms at 12. I got my first .22 at 14. When I was 16 I got to use the 12 ga. shotgun. I can't remember the first time I went hunting with my Dad. I was probably a toddler. The armed person(s) always walks in front. I sold all my firearms 20 years ago and took up wildlife photography

I am against leaving a loaded handgun on the coffee table, pounding back a 40 of vodka, while your 4 year old plays nearby. In other words, I'm against, dangerous irresponsible behavior. Not responsible parenting.
 
lone wolf
#52
Where is anything said about loaded guns, alcohol or any sort of behaviour anything worse than a drawing of a gun?

Methinks your imaginatory muscle could use some relaxant
 
DaSleeper
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

The drawing of the gun by itself didn't create a false perception:

The junior kindergarten teacher saw it (the drawing of a handgun), questioned Neveah about it, and feared there was a gun in the girl's home that the children were playing with. The school called social services, who in turn called the cops.
After going through the home, executing a warrant, police found a see-through plastic toy that fires plastic darts.

Do you have a link for that or did you just add the part in red???????

Edited to add: As per your usual M.O.
 
earth_as_one
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Was there a shot fired or are you resorting to the old I-like-it-so-it's-okay thing again? You'd have pages of aghast cut 'n' paste if the cops were Israeli

I was trying to point out the difference between testimony, conclusive testimony and supporting evidence. Some people like yourself seem to have a problem with the concept.

I would not be on the side of the police if they forced a 11 year old girl at gunpoint to walk ahead of them and open doors as they went from crack house to crack house searching for armed gang bangers. Now if an 11 year old claimed that the police did this, I'd be skeptical. But if our court system banned the practice after the police did this to someone else and that person was shot by a gang banger, and then the police organizations appealed the court ban, plus I saw a video of Canadian police doing this and it made the BBC and was reported by dozens of human rights groups, I'd tend to believe that the police had resorted to using children as human shields. Let's just say that my skepticism would decrease in proportion to the the amount of supporting evidence.

So far, I've never heard a single report of Canadian police officers using children as human shields, unlike other organizations that our current government unshakably supports.

BTW, I also believe that the police overreacted in this case, but I do believe they had to react, based on what they were told. They could have been more reasonable and exercised better judgement.
 
lone wolf
+1
#55
You did a great job of demonstrating exaggeration - as happens when bluffing or fibbing to get out of a situation. Odd how you can't see a difference....
 
DaSleeper
+1
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

You did a great job of demonstrating exaggeration - as happens when bluffing or fibbing to get out of a situation. Odd how you can't see a difference....

You forgot .Outright Bullshyte on your list......but I forgive you
 
Colpy
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Colpy, I think you misunderstand my post.
I am not saying I agree with games police play. I'm saying what you can expect if the police want to search your house.
I am not saying the police had grounds to arrest the father, but they did have to following up a report that a 4 year old girl was playing with a hand gun.
I support parents teaching their children skills, including how to handle firearms. If you have firearms in the house, you better show them what they are, what they do, how to hold them, the purpose of the safety, muzzle control, checking to see if loaded. When they are a little older, and able to physically carry them properly, they should learn how to load and fire. They should not be curious about the unknown and passing on a skill like this can be a bonding activity.
When i was a kid, the firearms in the house were always stored unloaded (but accessible) and the ammo was in a locked box. Now storing firearms like that would be illegal I think. I learned how to handle and shoot firearms at 12. I got my first .22 at 14. When I was 16 I got to use the 12 ga. shotgun. I can't remember the first time I went hunting with my Dad. I was probably a toddler. The armed person(s) always walks in front. I sold all my firearms 20 years ago and took up wildlife photography

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Okay.

Yeah, the way guns were stored in your house, although quite safe, would now be illegal. Long guns must be either disassembled or trigger locked or in a locked container, with the ammunition stored separately.

There are only two places a loaded handgun should ever be..........in your holster on your hip, or in your hand.
 
DaSleeper
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

My kids always had access to handguns.

One of the big problems is a kid's fascination with weapons as forbidden items, which leads them to seek them out and play with them secretively. . My theory was to innoculate my kids against any such action by making the guns simply like any other item....in other words, if the wanted to look at guns, I would open up my gun locker, and let them safely see and examine firearms under my watchful eye. I always pounded it into them....ONLY with me, and the four safety rules........

When my daughter was four, she could tell you how to field strip my Browning 9mm.

Actually, I may have done too good a job at demystifying firearms....neither of my kids show any real interest in the shooting sports. (sigh)

You need a REASON to search a man's castle.....some evidence of a CRIME being committed.

THERE WAS NONE.

Same with me neither of my kids have any interests in firearms.....yet my daughter, the first time she fired my .357 around 16 yrs old, put all ten within the outer circle on a standard 20 yd. target at the club, which newbies never do.
She's a natural....but no interest at all...
 
petros
#59
 
CDNBear
#60
[QUOTE=L Gilbert;1553404]"Ifs"? [/quote[Yes 'ifs', because we used our judgment based on 'ifs', daily.

Quote:

If everyone reacted this way every time a kid drew a gun, a tank, a flying saucer, a tiger, a battleship, a jet fighter, a sword, a poppy plant it's all justification for raiding her home without warrant, right?

Wrong.

Quote:

Me, too, and I'd still be ridiculing people for reacting on such flimsy evidence.

My point was, that is anything did happen, people would be looking for peoples heads.

Quote:

Yeah, idiocy does tend to generate them.

So do I. But judging from the Gliberals' over-reaction to a few firearms incidents, I think the whole damned issue about guns has been blown way out of proportion. Like I said, priorities are drastically askew these days.

I agree with both thoughs thoughts, completely.
 

Similar Threads

25
Nanny state gone mad........
by Colpy | Dec 7th, 2011
0
drawing heaven
by spaminator | Mar 2nd, 2010
no new posts