Should Britain and the United States merge?


dumpthemonarchy
#1
Canada will be part of it. Not a political union, but an economic one and easy movement to live and work in the Anglosphere. The same language means a great deal. Europe and the euro won't work imposing rules on countries and voters who resent such top down bueaucracy. This is a natural route to go as so many links exist already. The UK might get a decent hockey team in the deal. And we might get a decent soccer team.



Should Britain and the United States merge? – Telegraph Blogs




Should Britain and the United States merge?


By Daniel Hannan Politics Last updated: December 29th, 2011
595 Comments Comment on this article

Time to repatriate the revolution

In George Bernard Shaw's 1928 play, The Apple Cart, the American ambassador blurts out some momentous news to Britain's King:
The prodigal, sir, has returned to his father's house. Not poor, not hungry, not ragged, as of old. Oh no. This time he returns bringing with him the riches of the earth to the ancestral home. The Declaration of Independence is cancelled. The treaties which endorsed it are torn up. We have decided to rejoin the British Empire!
David Aaronovitch plays with the same idea in The Times today. I think he's trying to be funny, though I'm not completely certain. He uses the word 'ironically' in his column but, like many journalists, uses it to mean something along the lines of 'oddly enough'.
'We British pro-Europeans are beginning to sound more and more like Betamax enthusiasts arguing the superior merits of their systems against the unstoppable VHS tide', Aaronovitch writes. 'The people of Britain donít get Europe, donít like Europe and donít want Europe'. Indeed.

And, since Britain is apparently too small to succeed on its own (pace Singapore, Switzerland, Qatar, Monaco, Norway, UAE etc), he suggests that we join the US. While, as I say, the proposal seems to be intended lightheartedly, the analysis that underpins it Ė the recognition that our two countries have a shared political culture and that Britain could benefit in many ways from repatriating the American Revolution Ė is moderate and reasonable.

The flaw in the Shavian fantasy of full amalgamation is, of course, that Americans are as jealous of their sovereignty as any people on Earth. Look at their (justified) suspicion of the United Nations. Look at their reticence vis-ŗ-vis NAFTA. Do you really imagine that they'd accept a political union with 60 million Britons?

Just for the record, what we Atlanticists want is not a merger, but a free trade area. We'd like an organic, not a governmental union; ties between citizens, businesses and civic associations, not a combination of state structures. And we aim for it to embrace, not just Britain and the US, but the community of free English-speaking democracies Ė the Anglosphere. In fact, by coincidence, Iain Murray and James C Bennet explain how it would work in today's Wall Street Journal.
 
Ariadne
#2
Canada should remain aligned with Britain, but Britain belongs with the EU, not North America ... not sure what the US has to do with anything.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#3
God save the Anglosphere, it rules the waves.
 
Vancouverite
#4
I would say yes and include Australia and New Zealand, not to mention the Pacific Islands that have some sort of free trade agreement with Australia.

But I wouldn't limit it to countries that speak English, because this could arouse the Quebec nationalists - I wouldn't mind including Haiti, a French-speaking country, and, yes, that would cause problems, but that would also silence the separatists forever.
 
WLDB
+1
#5
Soon we'd have to add China if its an english speaking zone. Their population is learning english pretty quickly.
 
Ron in Regina
+1
#6
"Should Britain and the United States merge?"

I'm thinking Britain might be somewhat gunshy of economic unions
at this point in time, due to the whole Ero experiment that isn't
working out quite like it was envisioned by many of the signatories.
 
ironsides
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Soon we'd have to add China if its an english speaking zone. Their population is learning english pretty quickly.

Hong Kong the forgotten step child, they were once British then dumped.
 
Liberalman
#8
In the beginning the Brits and the Yanks were together but it didn't work out so why would this time be different?
 
ironsides
+1
#9
No Queen or King for one. Other than that, we are all joined very closely including Australia and New Zealand, I do not think one would notice a difference. Plus were the only ones who can stand each other.
Last edited by ironsides; Jan 1st, 2012 at 02:54 AM..
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#10
Next you'll be suggesting crazy things like Interracial Marriage and Homosexual Unions and that we Dump the Monarchy.

Egads! Knock it off Man!
 
ironsides
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Next you'll be suggesting crazy things like Interracial Marriage and Homosexual Unions and that we Dump the Monarchy.

Egads! Knock it off Man!

 
Spade
+2
#12  Top Rated Post
The American Declaration of Independence was illegal. For instance, today Palestine wsould not be recognized by the US if Palestinians declared independence unilateraly. The US is still a British colony; they should abandon all hope to live free.
 
ironsides
#13
Big difference here is that we won. Bloodied George's nose good and caused him to take his toys and go away. The Arabs haven't been able to win the peace in hundreds of years.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The American Declaration of Independence was illegal. For instance, today Palestine wsould not be recognized by the US if Palestinians declared independence unilateraly. The US is still a British colony; they should abandon all hope to live free.

I am going to call a Spade a spade here.

What a crock.
 
ironsides
+1
#15
"abandon all hope to live free" That is what 2012 will be about, Doom, Doom we will be forced to drive on the wrong side of the road and speak that funny sounding English. We are lost. Have a Happy anf Healthy New Year Spade.
 
petros
#16
A lot of "treaties" were signed in the 1790's.....
 
Spade
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

"abandon all hope to live free" That is what 2012 will be about, Doom, Doom we will be forced to drive on the wrong side of the road and speak that funny sounding English. We are lost. Have a Happy anf Healthy New Year Spade.

And you, brother Ironsides!
 
MHz
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Canada will be part of it. Not a political union, but an economic one and easy movement to live and work in the Anglosphere. The same language means a great deal. Europe and the euro won't work imposing rules on countries and voters who resent such top down bueaucracy. This is a natural route to go as so many links exist already. The UK might get a decent hockey team in the deal. And we might get a decent soccer team.

We already have the same Lawyers, Accountants, Religious Gurus, Insurance Agents, Merchants, and Military so what parts are left out?

Reason for the post, who gets the soccer fans attitude?

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

A lot of "treaties" were signed in the 1790's.....

To keep the list short, .... name the ones that 'we' kept.
 
L Gilbert
+2
#19
"Should Britain and the United States merge?"
hhmm I'd be all for merging the entire planet; get rid of the concept of countries altogether.
 
Blackleaf
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Should Britain and the United States merge?

No. Britain should be an independent nation.

Quote:


The UK might get a decent hockey team in the deal.

The British aren't interest in ice hockey.

Quote:

And we might get a decent soccer team

Britain doesn't have a soccer team, apart from one which is competing in this year's London Olympics due to Britain being the host nation but which hasn't been able to play in any other Olympics since 1972 due to qualification rules.
 
talloola
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

No. Britain should be an independent nation.



The British aren't interest in ice hockey.



Britain doesn't have a soccer team, apart from one which is competing in this year's London Olympics due to Britain being the host nation but which hasn't been able to play in any other Olympics since 1972 due to qualification rules.

i'll go for it as long as we send the maple leafs over there, then the british will really learn what
arrogance is, and it wouldn't be long before the maple leafs will declare themselves the centre of
the british empire, then we can move the phoenix coyotes to toronto, oh my god, i'm lovin this, i'm
tickly all over. lol
 
Ron in Regina
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

"abandon all hope to live free" That is what 2012 will be about, Doom, Doom we will be forced to drive on the wrong side of the road and speak that funny sounding English..

Boomhauer39s sibling rivalry - YouTube



The best of Farmer Fran - YouTube

 
Spade
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I am going to call a Spade a spade here.

What a crock.

I find the most obvious analogies are often the least accepted.

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

i'll go for it as long as we send the maple leafs over there, then the british will really learn what
arrogance is, and it wouldn't be long before the maple leafs will declare themselves the centre of
the british empire, then we can move the phoenix coyotes to toronto, oh my god, i'm lovin this, i'm
tickly all over. lol

Then, we'll call them the Kaiyoots as they ought to be called! Kaiyotties indeed!
 
petros
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

To keep the list short, .... name the ones that 'we' kept.

Who is "we"?

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The British aren't interest in ice hockey.

Ice hockey? What the hell is ice hockey?
 
SLM
+2
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post


Ice hockey? What the hell is ice hockey?

They don't even have it and they still have to give it a different name.
 
petros
#26
I didn't even know they were advanced enough to have ice.
 
MHz
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Who is "we"?

Ice hockey? What the hell is ice hockey?

The 'white eyes' or the ones who wrote the words in the treaties, if there are any differences.
 
JLM
+1
#28
Nope

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post



Then, we'll call them the Kaiyoots as they ought to be called! Kaiyotties indeed!

Right on Spade! People who say Kaiyoties probably say things like fillum (what them dinosaur cameras used to use)
 
mentalfloss
+1
#29
The term 'merge' is kind of deceptive to describe an interdependent economic treaty between two sovereign states.
 
petros
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

The 'white eyes' or the ones who wrote the words in the treaties, if there are any differences.

You aren't too aware of all the back and bum stabbing that went on in Europe for the past 500 years because of the riches of the Americas?
 
no new posts