Should Britain and the United States merge?

damngrumpy
+1
Oh for heaven sake there is far to much water between them to patch up the
revolutionary thread. The Tea Party wouldn't like this one bit.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

They don't even have it and they still have to give it a different name.

We need to call it ice hockey to distinguish it from the much more popular sport of hockey which is played on grass or artificial turf, the game which was invented by the British in the 18th Century. The Canadians then thought it would be a good idea to play it on ice for some reason.

We do have an ice hockey league of ten teams, the Elite Ice Hockey League, which was founded in 2003, but which is not as big as other European ice hockey leagues..

The teams are Belfast Giants, Braehead Clan, Cardiff Devils, Coventry Blaze, Dundee Stars, Edinburgh Capitals, Fife Flyers, Hull Stingrays, Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers. The Steelers are, apparently, the champions.

Last edited by Blackleaf; Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:36 AM..

The Old Medic
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Canada will be part of it. Not a political union, but an economic one and easy movement to live and work in the Anglosphere. The same language means a great deal. Europe and the euro won't work imposing rules on countries and voters who resent such top down bueaucracy. This is a natural route to go as so many links exist already. The UK might get a decent hockey team in the deal. And we might get a decent soccer team.

Should Britain and the United States merge? – Telegraph Blogs (external - login to view)

Should Britain and the United States merge?

By Daniel Hannan (external - login to view) Politics (external - login to view) Last updated: December 29th, 2011
595 Comments (external - login to view) Comment on this article (external - login to view)

(external - login to view) Time to repatriate the revolution

In George Bernard Shaw's 1928 play, The Apple Cart, the American ambassador blurts out some momentous news to Britain's King:

The prodigal, sir, has returned to his father's house. Not poor, not hungry, not ragged, as of old. Oh no. This time he returns bringing with him the riches of the earth to the ancestral home. The Declaration of Independence is cancelled. The treaties which endorsed it are torn up. We have decided to rejoin the British Empire!
David Aaronovitch plays with the same idea in The Times today. I think he's trying to be funny, though I'm not completely certain. He uses the word 'ironically' in his column but, like many journalists, uses it to mean something along the lines of 'oddly enough'.
'We British pro-Europeans are beginning to sound more and more like Betamax enthusiasts arguing the superior merits of their systems against the unstoppable VHS tide', Aaronovitch writes. 'The people of Britain donít get Europe, donít like Europe and donít want Europe'. Indeed.

And, since Britain is apparently too small to succeed on its own (pace Singapore, Switzerland, Qatar, Monaco, Norway, UAE etc), he suggests that we join the US. While, as I say, the proposal seems to be intended lightheartedly, the analysis that underpins it Ė the recognition that our two countries have a shared political culture and that Britain could benefit in many ways from repatriating the American Revolution Ė is moderate and reasonable (external - login to view).

The flaw in the Shavian fantasy of full amalgamation is, of course, that Americans are as jealous of their sovereignty as any people on Earth. Look at their (justified (external - login to view)) suspicion of the United Nations. Look at their reticence vis-ŗ-vis NAFTA. Do you really imagine that they'd accept a political union with 60 million Britons?

Just for the record, what we Atlanticists want is not a merger, but a free trade area. We'd like an organic, not a governmental union; ties between citizens, businesses and civic associations, not a combination of state structures. And we aim for it to embrace, not just Britain and the US, but the community of free English-speaking democracies Ė the Anglosphere (external - login to view). In fact, by coincidence, Iain Murray and James C Bennet explain how it would work in today's Wall Street Journal (external - login to view).

Unless Greap Britain is ready to break up into individual States; dump the Monarchy and it's Parliament, this will never happen.

Of course, since Hawaii and Alaska were made States (and Hawaii was a Soverign Country before the American Missionaries overthrew the Monarchy there), there is some precedent for States thousands of miles from the mainland.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Unless Greap Britain is ready to break up into individual States; dump the Monarchy and it's Parliament, this will never happen.

Of course, since Hawaii and Alaska were made States (and Hawaii was a Soverign Country before the American Missionaries overthrew the Monarchy there), there is some precedent for States thousands of miles from the mainland.

It's not designed to be a political union, so however Scotland votes in the future doesn't really matter. The idea of the Anglosphere goes beyond the USA or the UK. We've still got political colonialism to shed from England in the monarchy, we don't want more from anywhere else. Political union between independent countries is tough to pull off, look at the EU now.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Are we moving in a direction of inclusion or exclusion?

To further answer your question, we in Canada are already on the route of exclusion of all the countries south of the USA. Castro was never considered by anyone to be a North American. Castro like all Cubans, and all Haitians, Nicaraguans, Salvadorans are Latin Americans. We are the North Americans along with the white, English speaking people of the USA, we know who is in and who is out. It appears we're fully committed to our North American Anglosphere. Our international inclusive credentials are looking a little shabby here.

There's little to apologise for here, we simply haven't had much to do with nations or lands south of the USA, which are far away and we know little about them. Although there's plenty of British colonial guilt to hang on to.

JLM

To further answer your question, we in Canada are already on the route of exclusion of all the countries south of the USA. Castro was never considered by anyone to be a North American. Castro like all Cubans, and all Haitians, Nicaraguans, Salvadorans are Latin Americans. We are the North Americans along with the white, English speaking people of the USA, we know who is in and who is out. It appears we're fully committed to our North American Anglosphere. Our international inclusive credentials are looking a little shabby here.

There's little to apologise for here, we simply haven't had much to do with nations or lands south of the USA, which are far away and we know little about them. Although there's plenty of British colonial guilt to hang on to.

Reports out of Mexico lately have been a little shaky. Maybe people figure that is already too far south!

gerryh

We are the North Americans along with the white, English speaking people of the USA, we know who is in and who is out. It appears we're fully committed to our North American Anglosphere.

Does anyone else find this highly racist, or at least VERY bigoted, or is it just me?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Does anyone else find this highly racist, or at least VERY bigoted, or is it just me?

There's racial tones there, Gerry. I can only speak for myself, but I think many times perceived discrimation against race or colour is actually discrimination against behaviour.

dumpthemonarchy

Catching your breath after chasing a fire engine? Do you know where you live?

gerryh
+1

Catching your breath after chasing a fire engine? Do you know where you live?

Ya, I live in a multi cultural society that is made up of far more than JUST english speaking "whites".

dumpthemonarchy

Ya, I live in a multi cultural society that is made up of far more than JUST english speaking "whites".

Nonetheless, a smug member of the Northern America Anglosphere. Good job!

gerryh
+1

Nonetheless, a smug member of the Northern America Anglosphere. Good job!

As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to people like you, North America would have been far better off in the long run if my Native ancestors had sunk every ship that landed on these shores immediately.

dumpthemonarchy

As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to people like you, North America would have been far better off in the long run if my Native ancestors had sunk every ship that landed on these shores immediately.

Now that's a more reasonable answer.

That would have been smart, but being pre-modern people, they didn't have have the means in terms of technology or knowledge to do so. They were isolated and had no idea of the bigger world of Asia, Africa and Europe, so when strange white skinned people came, they were totally surprised. Ignorance is not bliss.

Every time aboriginals say, "We want to preserve our culture." They whack another nail in their coffin.

gerryh

Now that's a more reasonable answer.

That would have been smart, but being pre-modern people, they didn't have have the means in terms of technology or knowledge to do so. They were isolated and had no idea of the bigger world of Asia, Africa and Europe, so when strange white skinned people came, they were totally surprised. Ignorance is not bliss.

Every time aboriginals say, "We want to preserve our culture." They whack another nail in their coffin.

and every time you post anything you prove once again how much of a fu cking brainless moron you are with no idea of what you are talking about.

dumpthemonarchy
No no, you don't understand at all. But then, you sound like someone who never learns anything. Time for the mods to do some work.

gerryh

No no, you don't understand at all. But then, you sound like someone who never learns anything. Time for the mods to do some work.

I understand perfectly bigot.

dumpthemonarchy

I understand perfectly bigot.

Start another thread for your type, this thread has been hijacked.

gerryh

It was hijacked the minute you posted your racist bullshyte.

Cliffy

I think you post these bigoted threads to get people's goat and then get upset when you get called on it. If you are going to troll, sometimes you are going to catch sharks. Don't whine if you lose some parts in the fight.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I think you post these bigoted threads to get people's goat and then get upset when you get called on it. If you are going to troll, sometimes you are going to catch sharks. Don't whine if you lose some parts in the fight.

Seriously, you people have a problem.

gerryh

Ya, we have to put up with people like you.

dumpthemonarchy
Says here a new NAFTA, the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement is getting some interest in UK. Also it states academics in Iceland have proposed adopting the Canuck buck-no joke. It was also mentioned in Macleans mag.

Countries are looking for alternatives and we can offer something. A new European club is waycool.

NAFTA: North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement? (external - login to view)

JLM

Is everyone wrong except YOU?

dumpthemonarchy
I find it quite comic that some Indians consider themselves "North Americans" and refrain from calling themselves Canadians. Could be the joke is on them because they must use English words to define themselves. Plus, it is the same kind of North Americans used by Don Cherry and many others to describe hockey players in the NHL who are not from Europe. Many many likes.

Fact is, if you don't prove I'm wrong, then I'm right. Please cite an example so I can read an answer more than one sentence long.

JLM

Fact is, if you don't prove I'm wrong, then I'm right. Please cite an example so I can read an answer more than one sentence long.

Given that logic, if a defendent can't be proved guilty that means he is definitely innocent! (O.J. would like that)

I find it quite comic that some Indians consider themselves "North Americans" and refrain from calling themselves Canadians. Could be the joke is on them because they must use English words to define themselves. Plus, it is the same kind of North Americans used by Don Cherry and many others to describe hockey players in the NHL who are not from Europe. Many many likes.

Are you trying to make a point based solely on semantics?

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

UK is looking for something new as the EU looks shaky. They can still trade with the EU like Norway or Switzerland does without few issues. Both countries have their own currency still.

Britain wishes to shed Northern Ireland, but would rather keep Scotland, and the latter likes British money.

There's much more to the Anglosphere than monarchial ties. I'm not quite sure why the UK has to rid itself of its Parliament for the Anglosphere.

ironsides

There is no need to give them anything, declare them sovereign nations within Canada. By doing that you also five them to all mineral, oil rights as well as anything else found on their lands. If necessary charge them some form of tax for keeping Canada's military umbrella over them. Show them how to run a country and turn them loose.

What is wrong with Indians considering them "North Americans" first, what language they use is only a language of convince today. Look at the rest of the Canadians how many when asked where you are from say for example: I'm from Alberta, Manitoba or Nova Scotia and not say just Canada. I know some of you think of yourselves as Canadians first, but far to many still think of themselves as provincials first. The First people consider themselves from what ever tribe and nation they originated from, then Canadians.

SLM

Par for the course, the highlight of all his posts.

Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

And yet he just keeps trolling along.

Yep. Thread after thread after thread of anti-immigrant, anti-aboriginal postings laced with bigoted, racist rhetoric. But we have a problem.

Quote:

Fact is, if you don't prove I'm wrong, then I'm right.

Wow, there's that impeccable logic we've all come to know and love. Ranks right up there with "na na na-na nah".

Quote:

Please cite an example so I can read an answer more than one sentence long.

Been there, done that. You ignore it. Single sentences are all you deserve.

Says here a new NAFTA, the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement is getting some interest in UK. Also it states academics in Iceland have proposed adopting the Canuck buck-no joke. It was also mentioned in Macleans mag.

Countries are looking for alternatives and we can offer something. A new European club is way cool.

Plus no injuns!

Given that logic, if a defendent can't be proved guilty that means he is definitely innocent! (O.J. would like that)

Are you trying to make a point based solely on semantics?

You think he has a point to make?

JLM
+1

Par for the course, the highlight of all his posts.

And yet he just keeps trolling along.

Yep. Thread after thread after thread of anti-immigrant, anti-aboriginal postings laced with bigoted, racist rhetoric. But we have a problem.

Wow, there's that impeccable logic we've all come to know and love. Ranks right up there with "na na na-na nah".

Been there, done that. You ignore it. Single sentences are all you deserve.

Plus no injuns!

You think he has a point to make?

The man is obviously very sick, definitely not a happy person to have obsessed with such negative thoughts about his fellow man. I'm wondering if it is to the point of depriving him of any happiness in life or if it IS HIS HAPPINESS IN LIFE.

SLM
+1

The man is obviously very sick, definitely not a happy person to have obsessed with such negative thoughts about his fellow man. I'm wondering if it is to the point of depriving him of any happiness in life or if it IS HIS HAPPINESS IN LIFE.

I don't even give a damn anymore. Six threads on the live forum feed this morning that contain essentially the same negative rhetoric. Over and over and over again, ignoring the responses that he doesn't like, then having the audacity to demand proof that his "argument" is wrong.

Bitterness, anger, resentment. I have no patience for it.

dumpthemonarchy

I'm not anti-immigrant, I'm for smarter immigrants. About 65% of 250,000 immigrants that enter Canada yearly are family class, they are having a tough time assimilating and finding employment. So all the 250,000 each year, cost $6000 to support. I think that is a poor way to spend my tax dollars. My father came from Europe in the 1950s and got $0 from the govt to become a Canadian. He thought that was an awesome deal.

Doesn't Attawaspiskat seem like the old treaty system is broken? People suffer and nothing will change. Some people are heartless. Yes, call me a bigot for putting stories here that are from the mainstream media. You are the bigot, bully, and blind supporter of the politically correct because you just don't want to hear about it. The smug are irritating. But funny. But dull.

no new posts