RCAF eyes Resolute Bay for new Arctic base


DurkaDurka
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Well, satellites are pretty old tech too. If India can launch rockets, why can't we? Think of all the good engineering jobs that would be made in Canada, for Canadians. Our military right now has to ask other countries to send up satellites. It's a joke.

Satellites are not "old tech". Satellites can have serve many different purposes, some quite advanced. Most countries pay the private sector to launch their satellites as it's cost prohibitive unless you're doing it on a constant basis.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Satellites are not "old tech". Satellites can have serve many different purposes, some quite advanced. Most countries pay the private sector to launch their satellites as it's cost prohibitive unless you're doing it on a constant basis.

Satellites and rockets have been around since Sputnik. They are advancing all the time as NASA's new one on Mars. Geopolitics is not always profitable but to show you want land, you have to do things to show you own it. Other countries like China are pushing us to to do something in this vast region and we try to get away with as little as possible.

Canadian politics are entering a crossroads, always trying to accomodate everyone and achieve a happy concensus doesn't seem to be working like it used to. Other countries just aren't playing ball like they're supposed to. But then China still have several hundred million peasants just getting by.
 
Kakato
#33
The reason Satellite coverage is scetchy in the north is because your right below them,so at the north pole your probably behind any satellite.Think of them like a megaphone and your right at the small area of the cone.Funny but I had more luck keeping a sat signal for internet then I did for my sat phone in the Arctic. We were also through Rodgers so even though I was thousands of miles from Vancouver it was like a local call to phone there.
 
petros
#34
It's not hard to get a cell connection but try moving data. The bandwidth sucks.
 
Machjo
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Denmark wishes to see China join the Arctic Council as an observer. Greenland sees potential with China. And an admiral from China has made a territorial claim to the Arctic. The world sees opportunity here, and we don't have a base there yet.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2011-11/05/c_131230851.htm (external - login to view)

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Arrival+China+Arctic+puts+Canada+alert/5625461/story.html (external - login to view)

China (external - login to view)

Somewhat misleading. The first link is about economic cooperation, nothing military or political involved. The second link involves Chinese intervention via an Arctic country with its consent.

The third link is more political and military in nature, but even it tries to argue its case on teh basis of a flawed interpretation of international law, which could easily be overcome.

Should greenland want closer ties with China, it's well within its right to do so.

At the end of the day though, Canada's territorial integrity won't be protected by simply having a larger military, but rather by establishing our claims in international law.
 
Kakato
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It's not hard to get a cell connection but try moving data. The bandwidth sucks.

They only got cell phones in Rankin inlet 2 years ago.Farther north unless your in an area with a tower there is no cell service.
Cell phones dont work off satellites though and I know our sat phones and internet would work most of the time but as your so far north there is a couple hours a day where you get no sat service.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Somewhat misleading. The first link is about economic cooperation, nothing military or political involved. The second link involves Chinese intervention via an Arctic country with its consent.

The third link is more political and military in nature, but even it tries to argue its case on teh basis of a flawed interpretation of international law, which could easily be overcome.

Should greenland want closer ties with China, it's well within its right to do so.

At the end of the day though, Canada's territorial integrity won't be protected by simply having a larger military, but rather by establishing our claims in international law.

China has an odd enterpretation of international law, look at all the cloned Apple stores and patent law. The Chinese employees in the Apples stores in China are totally sure Apple is a Chinese company. That is because, "Like, we're in China, China makes the product, we sell it in China, so it's Chinese. What's the problem?"

China is trying to make international law, it will likely fail, but at present, they are not listening to facts. This would not be news if Egypt had this attutude, but a dynamic country with over a billion people and very focussed tendencies has it. So we must bear with it. China has made claims in the South China Sea that shocke Vietnam, and the Philippines.

Greenland is looking for investment, nothing wrong with that.
 
no new posts