Privatizing Aboriginal Reserves

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I did just that and nothing you have said provides evidence to the contrary.

Um, yeah. I know you did. So? My statement pertains to why I disagree with that.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Um, yeah. I know you did. So? My statement pertains to why I disagree with that.

Um, yeah. I know. Your statement has no basis in reality.

L Gilbert
+1

No. The legal system does not concern itself with whether abortion is moral or immoral, whether Robert Latimer was moral or immoral. Certainly laws codify the principles but law making is the job of the politician

Sort of right. The legal system applies itself to the laws written by politicians on the basis of morality. So it is an indirect relationship. A direct relationship would be that involved in civil law.

It can't be compartmentalized that way. Challenges within the court system decide on the merit of the laws and the laws themselves are a direct reflection of societies values and principles, so in deciding on the merit of the law the system does concern itself with the values those laws were written to uphold.

Politics plays a role, precedents play a role, the courts play a role, the judiciary plays a role, the laws as written play a role. Big picture, it's all interwoven. It still all reflects societies values.

Yup.

Um, yeah. I know. Your statement has no basis in reality.

Sure it does.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

The legal system applies itself to the laws written by politicians on the basis of morality.

And further, existing legislation also serves as a guideline for the drafting of future legislation. The most important ones of course being the charter and constitution. That would be the reason that some laws do not hold up to the ultimate scrutiny in a court of law. In the end, if they run contrary to the established principals, values and morals of society as established in the basic framework, then they are history. And that's a good thing because relying on politicians to set the moral pace of the nation is a frightening prospect.

Cannuck

Sort of right. The legal system applies itself to the laws written by politicians on the basis of morality.

Try and argue morality and the legal system without bringing "politician" and "lawmakers" into it. Betcha ya can't.

SLM
+1

Try and argue morality and the legal system without bringing "politician" and "lawmakers" into it. Betcha ya can't.

That's what I said here:

It can't be compartmentalized that way. Challenges within the court system decide on the merit of the laws and the laws themselves are a direct reflection of societies values and principles, so in deciding on the merit of the law the system does concern itself with the values those laws were written to uphold.

Politics plays a role, precedents play a role, the courts play a role, the judiciary plays a role, the laws as written play a role. Big picture, it's all interwoven. It still all reflects societies values.

You said the statement had no basis in reality.

L Gilbert

And further, existing legislation also serves as a guideline for the drafting of future legislation. The most important ones of course being the charter and constitution. That would be the reason that some laws do not hold up to the ultimate scrutiny in a court of law. In the end, if they run contrary to the established principals, values and morals of society as established in the basic framework, then they are history. And that's a good thing because relying on politicians to set the moral pace of the nation is a frightening prospect.

That's for sure.

Morality is relative. Everyone has their own version, but what counts is the morality in the entire population. And that is generally applied by lawmakers, law enforcers, and politicians. It's all connected.
Who gives a crap about your betting? I don't.

Cannuck

Who gives a crap about your betting? I don't.

Oops, looks like the discussion just got lowered to junior high school level. What's next, I know you are but what am I?

gerryh
+3

I know you are but what am I?

There ya have it folks...... cannuck at his finest.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

There ya have it folks...... cannuck at his finest.

I just knew once the discussion was brought down to the junior high level, Gerry would join in. Welcome aboard.

L Gilbert
+3

Oops, looks like the discussion just got lowered to junior high school level. What's next, I know you are but what am I?

Projecting your frame of "mind" onto me? tsk tsk

CDNBear
+2

Translation...

"I cannuck got served, yet again, so I will now claim that the lack of civility has prevent a reasoned discussion."

Ya, ya, I know, high school level, here comes CB. What's next cannuck, you going to repeat everything I say?

I like it when you do that. I call my teenage sons in, and they laugh at you, the supposed adult, doing something they haven't done, since they were five.

I hate to say it, but I told you.

Cannuck

I don't have to project anything on to you. I'll let your posts speak for themselves.

CDNBear
+2

I don't have to project anything on to you. I'll let your posts speak for themselves.

And I'll bet absolutely no one, sees them in the same light as you. But instead, will actually agree with LG's assertion.

SLM
+1

Lol. Love how "mind" is in quotes.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

And I'll bet absolutely no one, sees them in the same light as you. But instead, will actually agree with LG's assertion.

Yep.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

That's a bet I would take in a heart beat if I had any faith you would pay up.

CDNBear
+2

That's a bet I would take in a heart beat if I had any faith you would pay up.

That would fall under the usual cannuck hot air and rhetoric.

Why don't you just get back to discussing morals and the law with SLM. She was civil, even when she PWND you.

That's what I said here:... You said the statement had no basis in reality.