Thoughts? Baby raised without 'gender'

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Why can't the parents just let the kids be kids? When they get older they can decide for themselves what they wish to wear. I predict some hard times for this child, and none of it will be the fault of the child.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have no particular comment on this story because they have not given a reason for withholding
the gender of the child.

The only thing I can add is what I learned from a documentary just 2 weeks ago about a child born
a few years ago, who 'after' many years had gone by, found out after a medical exploratory test,
that 'she' had the organs of 'both' sexes.

There was a penis, so the parents of course started raising the child as a boy, but the child
at a very young age, insisted she was a girl, and would not wear boys clothing or play as little
boys play, and it was the child 'innocently' living with the natural feelings of a girl, until
sometime later the parents allowed the child to be the girl she really was, but of course the
obvious signs were right there making her appear to be a boy.

Long story short, she had ovaries and a womb as well as a penis.

This is not a gay or lesbian story but a mixed sex story, which had to be corrected medically
at a later date, very excruciating for everyone, because of the treatment by 'others' toward
her and the family.

This is not a one of a kind story, there are others, just a mix up in the womb when the baby
is being formed, and along the way the child has to become what he/she really is, according to
what her/his brain is telling him/her.

I wonder if this family has the same problem.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I really couldn't care less. Don't even know why I am posting in this thread. Probably cause Shadowshiver is cool beans and I feel like a suck up today. But not because I give a rats patoot about some hipster dorks screwing with their kids who won't remember this crap anyway.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This was such a stupid distraction of a story. I can't believe how much coverage it got this week.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What I find odd is that people are taking such offense to parents NOT doing anything. Presumably thy're letting the child dress as they wish, play as they wish, talk as they wish, walk as they wish.... that's the whole point of the thing, isn't it?

They're not taking a boy and trying to make him a girl.

They're not taking a girl and trying to make her a boy.

So why the outrage?

Presumably, the day will come when the kid wants their hair cut short and wants nothing more than to sit and play with trucks, that those around will know 'ah, it's a boy.' Or vice versa. So why freak out about it?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think we can figure out the 'why' of this decision:
Older brother Jazz, 6, was singled out by adults and other children fairly relentlessly for his predilection for things identified as girly – pink poofy dresses, hair in braids, and nail polish. Ironically, he is exhibiting the kind of stereotypical behaviours his parents wish to avoid – only for the opposite sex.
The public reaction to Jazz’s wardrobe choices got to the point where his mother admitted that when she was pregnant with her third child, “it was really this intense time around Jazz having experiences with gender.”

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think we can figure out the 'why' of this decision:

And I can't say I blame them for wanting to make a point.

To pick at a child for making innocent decisions at such a young age, is ridiculous, and I swear it helps create problems where none may have existed.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
well, it is kind of wierd not to mention the gender of the child, as a newborn, unless there is
some irregularity in the physical look of the child, sexually.

the child cannot show any symptoms on her/his own concerning its gender, at that age, so haven't a clue.

of course it is the public who will make this a world wide story, just as we have found it,
otherwise we wouldn't know anything about it.

people cannot accept anything that they don't see as normal everyday behavior, and will stick
their critical noses into the situation, and create world war 3 out of it.

I'm not going to give it another thought.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Based on the mother's comments, I would think that pink or blue would be non-starters. Poor kid. Wouldn't want to buy the kid a doll or a truck, either - it might be misinterpreted.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Thoughts?

It's child abuse. Self identity is crucial throughout your entire life and they're not doing the kid any favors.

No, child abuse would be cutting off part of the kids genitalia, and sprinkling the kid with water, and indoctrinating the kid with some religious beliefs.

This is more of a fashion choice at 4 months of age.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
No, child abuse would be cutting off part of the kids genitalia, and sprinkling the kid with water, and indoctrinating the kid with some religious beliefs.

Well that depends on which religion or philosophy they're being indoctrinated with. Anything short of the truth would be child abuse.

This is more of a fashion choice at 4 months of age.

And if the parents still have this open ended philosophy when the kid is a teen? Still cool?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well that depends on which religion or philosophy they're being indoctrinated with. Anything short of the truth would be child abuse.

And if the parents still have this open ended philosophy when the kid is a teen? Still cool?

The point is that the kid will tell you what they are. I doubt the kid would still be keeping it on the down low as a teen.