New Music

TheJokkette

Mar 2, 2010
Calgary
Some artists on my itunes are, Armor for Sleep, Emery, Coheed and Cambria, Phoenix, Band of Horses, Brand New, Bon Iver, City and Colour, The Pixies, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Silversun Pickups, Patrick Watson, Mute Math, Devendra Banhart, Envy on the Coast (look up Lucy Gray), and the Fleet Foxes.

ljstormwatcher

Mar 8, 2010
Like A Storm -- Vancouver show!

Hi Shannon/slynette050,

thanks for being the first to post about Like A Storm on here ^_^ They will be playing their first Vancouver show of 2010 at The Shark Club on March 26th :canada:... Anyone interested, should come by the venue for a listen.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Who needs "New Music" when there is Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Puccini, Liszt, Lehar, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bizet and Glinka?

Or - just to prove that I am not an incorrigible old geek - Elvis Presley, Pat Boone, Patsy Cline, Guy Lombardo, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Doris Day, The Four Lads, The Kingston Trio, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Nat "King" Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Natalie Cole etc. etc.

If you don't know whom or what I am talking about, get a proper Grade 1 education.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Who needs "New Music" when there is Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Puccini, Liszt, Lehar, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bizet and Glinka?

Or - just to prove that I am not an incorrigible old geek - Elvis Presley, Pat Boone, Patsy Cline, Guy Lombardo, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Doris Day, The Four Lads, The Kingston Trio, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Nat "King" Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Natalie Cole etc. etc.

If you don't know whom or what I am talking about, get a proper Grade 1 education.
Sorry Jack, but that list proves you are an incorrigible old geek. I remember them well. My dad force fed me on that stuff. To me it is like broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Yuck!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sorry Jack, but that list proves you are an incorrigible old geek. I remember them well. My dad force fed me on that stuff. To me it is like broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Yuck!
I think there are only one or two on that list that are still alive!! Their music has been dead much longer.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
my daughter and her husband were transferred to toronto many
years ago, and she had many memorable camping trips to
algonquin park, canoeing, hiking etc., and we also went
there with them on one visit , so I bought her
and dvd from tourism ontario called 'algonquin autumn',
a portrait of colour, and beautiful scenes of the park.
and featuring beautiful music by david andrews, guitar.
it's very enjoyable.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Sorry Jack, but that list proves you are an incorrigible old geek. I remember them well. My dad force fed me on that stuff. To me it is like broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Yuck!"

Obviously you have no idea what the word "CLASSICAL" means. And you have good company with VanIsle.

BTW, go ask #juan about some excellent recipes for broccoli and Brussel sprouts. And for a change, open your mind (?).

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

While all the artists you listed are quite accomplished, most are also dead. You would have been quite the hipster back in the 40's-50's, Yukon. :cool:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"While all the artists you listed are quite accomplished, most are also dead. You would have been quite the hipster back in the 40's-50's, Yukon."

And the present day "artists" are not and never will be accomplished. Can you honestly say that 40-50 years from now anybody will remember Brittney Spears? Or Justin Timberlake? or any of the grammatically challenged rap and hip-hop "artists?

I was born in 1939. Not much chance that I was a "hipster" in the 40's. Or even the 50's, at least the early ones.

But good MUSIC is immortal; even in our hopeless current generation more and more young people discover quiet quality and abandon noisy quantity.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
And the present day "artists" are not and never will be accomplished. Can you honestly say that 40-50 years from now anybody will remember Brittney Spears? Or Justin Timberlake? or any of the grammatically challenged rap and hip-hop "artists?

I was born in 1939. Not much chance that I was a "hipster" in the 40's. Or even the 50's, at least the early ones.

But good MUSIC is immortal; even in our hopeless current generation more and more young people discover quiet quality and abandon noisy quantity.

Brittney Spears & Justin Timberlake are pop-artists and will be remembered more for their idiotic stunts then their music. If you want to talk about actual musicians though, you could look at modernish artists like U2, Radiohead, Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc, like their style of music or not they are accomplished at what they do.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Time after time I made strong, conscientious efforts to listen to modern rock bands. All I ever heard was NOISE.

If they had any musical talent, they would not need amplification to a degree that shatters ear-drums. If they had any talent singing, they wold not have to shout, scream and smash their guitars. Or paint their faces.

They all sound alike. And it is not very pleasant.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Time after time I made strong, conscientious efforts to listen to modern rock bands. All I ever heard was NOISE.

If they had any musical talent, they would not need amplification to a degree that shatters ear-drums. If they had any talent singing, they wold not have to shout, scream and smash their guitars. Or paint their faces.

They all sound alike. And it is not very pleasant.

yup -

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey

you should have talked about what kind of music you want to listen to, anyway i have just explored a band may be you know but i want mention,
Mundi Domini ,a member of which is just here... Le Petit Train Posé is my favourite one ,Celtic Spirit ,Secret Garden there are also some Turk bands such as Manga(bir kadın çizeceksin), Şebnem Ferah(günaydın sevgilim), Barış Manço( fairground)

i hope you like .