sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Lee Carter
BBC News, Toronto

Little Mosque on the Prairie has a colourful cast of characters

I'm with a group of surprised camels, a 300lb chicken shwarma and a bemused comedy writer in a wintry, wet Toronto square.
We're here for the launch of CBC's new sitcom Little Mosque on the Prairie, which depicts a Muslim community trying to assimilate in a small prairie town.
It has little in common with the sugary, 1970s American pioneer family drama Little House On The Prairie, jokingly appropriated in the show's title. By contrast, Little Mosque addresses head-on post- 9/11 fears and prejudices.

It's generating lots of publicity in Canada, with or without the camels, largely for breaking new ground as the first Muslim comedy to air on mainstream North American television.
Big city imam

Braving Toronto's cold and drizzle, the show's writer and creator Zarqa Nawaz explains that the inspiration for the show came from her own experiences as a Muslim woman who made a life-changing move to the provincial prairie city of Regina to work in a mosque.
Writer Zarqa Nawaz says she aims her humour equally at all groups

"People of different Islamic ideologies had to live together and deal with one another," she says.
"I thought it would be interesting to do a series about what life is like in a mosque in a small community."
The plot follows a Canadian-born imam as he makes a similar move from a big city to the Saskatchewan town of Mercy (pop. 10,000), where he encounters a colourful array of characters, both in the town's Muslim and non-Muslim communities.
"It's very unusual, because usually the Imam is imported from overseas and there's often a cultural disconnect," says Ms Nawaz.
"I thought it would be interesting to have an imam with Canadian cultural sensibilities having to deal with the immigrant men for a change."
I think it's important to go after everyone in comedy so that no-one is happy - except the viewers

Zarqa Nawaz

The new modern-thinking Imam comes up against more conservative individuals in his community, including his predecessor, whose sermons had been largely preoccupied with corroding western influences such as TV shows like Desperate Housewives.
In the first episode, other stock characters are introduced, such as a local right-wing radio shock jock (whose first question to the imam is "Are you a terrorist?"), a local priest who rents the parish hall for the new mosque, and a rural bumpkin who is absolutely convinced of a terrorist plot on every corner.
Post-9/11 humour
Ms Nawaz says she's an equal opportunities satirist.
"One can't say I'm picking on one group and not the other. I think it's a warts-and-all look at the whole community. I pick on right-wing and left-wing Muslims, I pick on the secular...I think it's important to go after everyone in comedy, so that no-one is happy - except the viewers of course," she laughs.
The first episode has several examples of post-9/11 humour, including a scene where airport police whisk away the new imam for questioning after his mobile phone call is misinterpreted.
The jokes about racial profiling and terrorism, are defended by the Director of Network Programming for the CBC, Kirstine Layfield.
"It is daring in the sense that it's bringing it out again and discussing it in kind of an honest but funny way," she says.
"But humour comes from truth and this is exactly what certain groups of people are experiencing right now."
US interest
Critics have cautiously welcomed the new show, including John Doyle, a leading Canadian TV writer for The Globe and Mail newspaper. He says that despite some of the controversial subject matter it covers, Little Mosque is actually quite a gentle, rustic comedy.
"If anything it's a bit hokey." he says "I think it has a lot in common with shows like Ballykissangel, Hamish Macbeth or Doc Martin, those British TV comedies that are set in a rural community and celebrates its eccentricities while usually featuring an outsider who's a fish out of water."
It remains to be seen whether Canadians will embrace the show, or even find it funny. But there's been no shortage of attention for the show, including plenty from south of the border. US TV news organisations have been intrigued enough by the show's subject matter to send crews up to a neighbouring country they largely ignore.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
By Lee Carter
BBC News, Toronto

Little Mosque on the Prairie has a colourful cast of characters

I'm with a group of surprised camels, a 300lb chicken shwarma and a bemused comedy writer in a wintry, wet Toronto square.
We're here for the launch of CBC's new sitcom Little Mosque on the Prairie, which depicts a Muslim community trying to assimilate in a small prairie town.
It has little in common with the sugary, 1970s American pioneer family drama Little House On The Prairie, jokingly appropriated in the show's title. By contrast, Little Mosque addresses head-on post- 9/11 fears and prejudices.

It's generating lots of publicity in Canada, with or without the camels, largely for breaking new ground as the first Muslim comedy to air on mainstream North American television.
Big city imam

Braving Toronto's cold and drizzle, the show's writer and creator Zarqa Nawaz explains that the inspiration for the show came from her own experiences as a Muslim woman who made a life-changing move to the provincial prairie city of Regina to work in a mosque.
Writer Zarqa Nawaz says she aims her humour equally at all groups

"People of different Islamic ideologies had to live together and deal with one another," she says.
"I thought it would be interesting to do a series about what life is like in a mosque in a small community."
The plot follows a Canadian-born imam as he makes a similar move from a big city to the Saskatchewan town of Mercy (pop. 10,000), where he encounters a colourful array of characters, both in the town's Muslim and non-Muslim communities.
"It's very unusual, because usually the Imam is imported from overseas and there's often a cultural disconnect," says Ms Nawaz.
"I thought it would be interesting to have an imam with Canadian cultural sensibilities having to deal with the immigrant men for a change."
I think it's important to go after everyone in comedy so that no-one is happy - except the viewers

Zarqa Nawaz

The new modern-thinking Imam comes up against more conservative individuals in his community, including his predecessor, whose sermons had been largely preoccupied with corroding western influences such as TV shows like Desperate Housewives.
In the first episode, other stock characters are introduced, such as a local right-wing radio shock jock (whose first question to the imam is "Are you a terrorist?"), a local priest who rents the parish hall for the new mosque, and a rural bumpkin who is absolutely convinced of a terrorist plot on every corner.
Post-9/11 humour
Ms Nawaz says she's an equal opportunities satirist.
"One can't say I'm picking on one group and not the other. I think it's a warts-and-all look at the whole community. I pick on right-wing and left-wing Muslims, I pick on the secular...I think it's important to go after everyone in comedy, so that no-one is happy - except the viewers of course," she laughs.
The first episode has several examples of post-9/11 humour, including a scene where airport police whisk away the new imam for questioning after his mobile phone call is misinterpreted.
The jokes about racial profiling and terrorism, are defended by the Director of Network Programming for the CBC, Kirstine Layfield.
"It is daring in the sense that it's bringing it out again and discussing it in kind of an honest but funny way," she says.
"But humour comes from truth and this is exactly what certain groups of people are experiencing right now."
US interest
Critics have cautiously welcomed the new show, including John Doyle, a leading Canadian TV writer for The Globe and Mail newspaper. He says that despite some of the controversial subject matter it covers, Little Mosque is actually quite a gentle, rustic comedy.
"If anything it's a bit hokey." he says "I think it has a lot in common with shows like Ballykissangel, Hamish Macbeth or Doc Martin, those British TV comedies that are set in a rural community and celebrates its eccentricities while usually featuring an outsider who's a fish out of water."
It remains to be seen whether Canadians will embrace the show, or even find it funny. But there's been no shortage of attention for the show, including plenty from south of the border. US TV news organisations have been intrigued enough by the show's subject matter to send crews up to a neighbouring country they largely ignore.

hey i wacthed this show last night. it was so funny i cant believe its canadian cos usually our sitcoms suck.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If the show will soften the image of Muslims It can't hurt. I haven't seen it but it has been featured on CNN lately. I just hope it isn't another end run around Canadians by the multicult industry.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
If the show will soften the image of Muslims It can't hurt. I haven't seen it but it has been featured on CNN lately. I just hope it isn't another end run around Canadians by the multicult industry.

god, i never watch cnn. i hate american news programmes. they are wacked. the bbc is better and the cbc too. american news is so full of propaganda about themselves.

what do you mean the multicult industry?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
MGG

CNN has only publicized the new CBC production. It will probably air in Canada only for some strange
"protection of rights" rules...just another anti-western vehicle predenting to be a cosy little story of
immigration to the evil world of infidels.

It is not an American "show"..... CNN does not have much in the way of entertainment shows - they laughingly call themselves a News Channel.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
MGG

CNN has only publicized the new CBC production. It will probably air in Canada only for some strange
"protection of rights" rules...just another anti-western vehicle predenting to be a cosy little story of
immigration to the evil world of infidels.

It is not an American "show"..... CNN does not have much in the way of entertainment shows - they laughingly call themselves a News Channel.

It was a good programme. I hope it lives up to the quality of its first offering. I most enjoyed it!

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, we liked it well enough, good to see Carlo Rota back in action (tho his food show was still pretty hard to beat- BEAUTIFUL!!!)

It'll last one season at least- it's enough like Corner Gas without that unfunny Brent Butt that some folks might watch it more for the "style" and only subliminally digest the content...

Not too bad, I was expecting something a bit more shabby (a buddy of mine works at CBC and said some disheartening things about it last week)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I missed it. Thought I would have caught an earlier ferry, but I was 5 minutes late for it.

Um, any mainstream news stinks like BS, IMO. They are told not to air stuff their owners don't like, they editorialize any political news, they skip a lot of newsworthy stuff in favor of the sensational stuff, etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum. I don't put much stock in mainstream news' info and prefer to read indie news. Reuters is not bad. My usual list:

http://www.straightgoods.ca/index.cfm

http://www.freepress.org/index2.php

http://news.independent.co.uk/

http://www.inews.net.au/

http://www.asiapac.org.fj/cafepacific/resources/david_aspac.html

http://www.iol.co.za/

http://news.independent.co.uk/

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It was watchable, but I thought it tried a little too hard. That radio station red neck appeared to be brought in directly from Butte Montana along with that paranoid policeman. I'll watch a few more episodes and see if it settles down.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, #juan, it WAS trying a tad too hard, but I think now that all the "major issues" (especially the airport business, I'm pretty sure that will be confined to the pilot ep) have been dealt with, it SHOULD get down to being a character-based program- tho the characters will have to become a bit more subtle, as you pointed out, if every episode is that redneck fellow ratting out the Muslims to the feds, the show has NO legs

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, #juan, it WAS trying a tad too hard, but I think now that all the "major issues" (especially the airport business, I'm pretty sure that will be confined to the pilot ep) have been dealt with, it SHOULD get down to being a character-based program- tho the characters will have to become a bit more subtle, as you pointed out, if every episode is that redneck fellow ratting out the Muslims to the feds, the show has NO legs

Yeah, subtle is what it needs. A lot of the comic happenings were sort of "pie in the face" level that got a bit tiring. They could learn from shows like "All in the Family". A bit more subtle, and a lot more irreverent. IMHO

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I usually dislike sitcoms as there isn't usually much comedy in them, but "All in the family" was good. "Fawlty Towers" is probably the best I've seen. I like "Corner Gas" sometimes. "Keeping up appearances" is a hoot, as is "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister". American sitcoms aren't comical as a rule, "Becker" was ok, though. Don't see much from anywhere else on the planet.
What's that? 7 sitcoms out of how many? Dismal percentage.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I usually dislike sitcoms as there isn't usually much comedy in them, but "All in the family" was good. "Fawlty Towers" is probably the best I've seen. I like "Corner Gas" sometimes. "Keeping up appearances" is a hoot, as is "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister". American sitcoms aren't comical as a rule, "Becker" was ok, though. Don't see much from anywhere else on the planet.

I love all but the very worst. I have a low threshold of humour. I will happily laugh at a pie-in-the-face, although i do like a comedy to have it's dark side, some depressive moments.

Maybe you should try "green wing". it's british, of course, set in a hospital, full of surreal humour, odd relationships between the staff, with both an ongoing plot and one-off jokes all the way. very funny. third series starting this year :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

There are a few more: Cheers was a great sit-com, Fraser was a spin-off of Cheers. Both had long runs. Murphy Brown, and Lou Grant were successful shows, as was the Mary Tyler Moore show.

British comedies do tend to be superior though. All in the Family was taken from a British comedy. "Three's company" was a British comedy that was brought over with most of the original dialogue for John Ritter and ther gang

I've read that they are going to take another run at "Faulty Towers". Seems risky because Faulty Towers was just about perfect.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
There are a few more: Cheers was a great sit-com, Fraser was a spin-off of Cheers. Both had long runs. Murphy Brown, and Lou Grant were successful shows, as was the Mary Tyler Moore show.

British comedies do tend to be superior though. All in the Family was taken from a British comedy. "Three's company" was a British comedy that was brought over with most of the original dialogue for John Ritter and ther gang

I've read that they are going to take another run at "Faulty Towers". Seems risky because Faulty Towers was just about perfect.

I prefer British sitcoms as well. Your list though was pretty good, though I'd have added "I Love Lucy", "Bewitched" and "Beverly Hillbillies", along with "Everybody Loves Raymond". I'd not have included Murphy Brown though, never did like that programme.

Also, one thing the American television programmers USED to be good at were variety shows, in particular such great shows as "Sonny and Cher", "Carol Burnett", "Flip Wilson" and "Laugh-in"

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

I also want to add that Canadian television excels at both news shows(Fifth Estate, Nature of Things) and sarcasm (Kids in the Hall; Rick Mercer Report, Air Farce, etc.)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

John Cleese "Fawlty Towers" didn't make things funny by accident. I saw an interview with him where he said he pretty much addressed comedy like a science. For example, he said it is always funnier to watch someone watch someone else make an ass out of themselves rather than simply watching the ass. It's true. When you look at his shows he often had third party observers in the scenes..the Psychiatrist, the Inspectors etc. He also said he wanted three distinct storylines to come together into one at the end. Again, when you watch Fawlty Towers you can see it. Comedy writers could learn a lot by watching those shows. I'm sure they do/have.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I prefer British sitcoms as well. Your list though was pretty good, though I'd have added "I Love Lucy", "Bewitched" and "Beverly Hillbillies", along with "Everybody Loves Raymond". I'd not have included Murphy Brown though, never did like that programme.

Also, one thing the American television programmers USED to be good at were variety shows, in particular such great shows as "Sonny and Cher", "Carol Burnett", "Flip Wilson" and "Laugh-in"

I would have added, "I Love Lucy", "Bewitched" and "Beverly Hillbillies" but I thought one had to be old like me to remember those shows. "Everybody Loves Raymond", but me. couldn't stand it. It's likely a flaw in my personality.....:-D

I also want to add that Canadian television excels at both news shows(Fifth Estate, Nature of Things) and sarcasm (Kids in the Hall; Rick Mercer Report, Air Farce, etc.)
Agree one hundred percent..