I hate that Band!

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Has anyone ever absolutely despised a popular song or band that the rest of the world just seemed to love?

For example, with me, I absolutely got goose bumps, and ground my teeth in anger at the band Def Leppard, around the years of 1985-86. Everyone else loved them, especially that damned song "Pour some sugar on me". I still want to smash the radio when that song gets played.

So does anyone else have anything similar? You know, like you think the rest of the world has lost their minds because "x" song sucks so bad, but they all love it?

I only ask because I heard that Def Leppard crap on my way home from work, and wondered if I were the only one who thought Def Leppard was the most god awful band ever(Pyromania was ok). It doesn't have to be them, but they seem to draw most of my ire. Oh, the Scorpions(and Rush) go down as worst band(s) ever in my book.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Oh yah. Ace of Bass "I saw the sign", even as a kid the watered down crap that pop music churned out was enough to make me hurl.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Alanis Morissette. She went from bubble gum rap to angry grunge girl to artsy song writer. She's fake.
Avril Lavigne. Found in a mall and becomes a punk chick with stupid songs like "Sk8ter boy". Crap!
All boy bands.
Anyone who doesn't write there own songs.
All Rap. Rap is to music what etch a sketch is to art.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Bob Dylon makes me scream in pain, he can't sing sure he can write great songs but he can't sing.

I also hate Rap and Gangsta Rap sorry but it's chanting not music, it drives me batty. If forced to listen to that crap I'd confess to just about any crime to make it stop. It's awful.:pukeright: :pukeright:

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
the beatles.
music for children

green day---come on that is sucky pop

Nickel back --crap

Rush--an enigma--4 fantastic musicians that somehow together create pretentious garbage---except for about 2 mins total of instrumental interludes per album--which are pretty cool--what is it with this band?

paul macartney---just a silly little love song---
That song alone has made me hate the human race more than anything that anyone has ever done anywhere anytime.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Oh yeah, all Canadian and American idol winners, and loosers.
All divas, like Christina Aguilera and mariah carey. Who cares how maney notes you can hit, the song still sucks!
These new teen punk bands that complaine about why a girl doesn't like them. Perhaps because your a whiney whimp.
That song with the lines "I love you, I hate you, I cant live without you". What a crappy line! Which is it? Do you love her or hate her? Whoever wrote that song sucks.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
when im driving--seeing as the tape deck doesnt work in my car----i prefer to have the dial on the white noise between channels than to listen to the stations---university stations excluded.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Whoever does that Vonage commercial should be skinned and barbequed.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Led Zepplin. Never in all my years did I understand why they were so popular, and StairFreakinWay to Heaven drives me up the wall. A stupid song, poorly written, badly sung.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Led Zepplin. Never in all my years did I understand why they were so popular, and StairFreakinWay to Heaven drives me up the wall. A stupid song, poorly written, badly sung.

You are INSANE!

Zeppelin remains one of the greatest rock bands ever. Although stairway to heaven is in parts--is pretentious----the roughly 1 minute electric guitar solo is in fact the greatest guitar solo ever written for ELECTRIC guitar . This guitar solo of jimmy pages is enigmatic, iconic and perfectly composed and structured. The intro to the solo--basically a dmajor chord with embelishments including dsus seventh--- briliantly modulates into the key of Aminor---but we dont know it untill page hits the end of the first guitar phrase on an f natural rather than an f sharp--at ths point--especially if you are stoned--- the whole song--------shifts---it plunges DOWN into a minor key while the tempo picks UP . The backing track for the solo is simply a variation of AM-G-F chord progression---very common rock progression---found in transposed form in for example---all along the watch tower and suffragette city amoung many others. The psychelic feel to the solo is in part due to the fact that its not really an F major chord being played---as SOME of the many backing multilayed rhythum guitar parts that are janglling on in the background are playing an F major seventh-. Now major seventh chords you have to be carefull with ---they can sound anywhere from "nice" to "sucky" ---or if done well---weird and trippy. Pages solo --without his even realizing it uses several well known compositionl techniques to give it an internal coherence that makes it a timeless moment in music history. His articulation is a little weird too---many subltle string bends and almost bluesy pulls and hammer ons that seem exotic in the pshycedellic context---but that is what zeppelin was---not rock but psychellelic blues. The solos was performed on a 59 fender stratocaster---itself a little unusual for page who prefered gibsons for most of his zeppelin career.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Kreskin wrote: Whoever does that Vonage commercial should be skinned and barbequed

Agreed, I'll be the lookout whilst you grab him okay? Can we zoom by that kid who does the commercial for what ever auto maker who says Zoom Zoom. I want a piece of him, BAD.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I agree Zeppelin is iconic. Near the top of the all time great bands. And rap- rap is crap. And its listeners and supporters crappy as well. You can't denounce a band or form of music without equally pointing a finger at their fans. And since rap/hip hop is the dominant musical genre at the moment, we have a lot of people to say incredibly nasty things about. What a bunch of useless dicks. Hey, this is fun!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Rap is crap, I agree. And though some lyrics might be good, the majority that I hear is geared towards idiots. Counting money, pimping, and material possessions are what makes up a rap song. Nothing insightful, or creative. And there's no music. Just a techno beat, a simple melody that doesn't change from beginning to end played on a keyboard, some guy rapping about how much money he has and all the girls he gets, and then some chick sings a chorus.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Rap indeed is for idiots but why are there so many of them? The kids today are technically savvy but their choice in music leaves one helluva lot to be desired. Beyond the comfort with new technology is there really anything in their heads?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
One more thing. Def leper,"let's get rocked". Come on now,is that not the most insipid,moronic song ever written. Sit a FEW monkeys in front of typewriters and they could come up with that in a day or two.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Found another one..

Panic!At the Disco, not sure the name of the current popular song but it makes my teeth hurt when I hear it.

The EMO/Goth/ihatemyparentsandmylife genre is destroying civilization one lyric at a time. Soon we will all be wearing all black and cutting ourselves.