Fido's "No Contract" Trick

cis

Mar 14, 2008
Two weeks ago I received a call from Fido, asking me how satisfied I was with my services. He then proceed to offer me a $5 discount on my regular plan and a free new phone. I specifically and explicitly told him that I don't want to be bind into any contract, since I may be moving out of province/country within 6-8 months. His reply to me was: "It's not a contract. I just need your word to agree that you will stick with Fido in the next 24 months."

I repeatedly asked him to make sure that I won't be bind to any contract, and he gave the same line. I finally agreed, and my new phone was delivered to me the next week. Yesterday, I just received a letter from Fido, saying that my new "agreement" has started from March 2, 2008 and will end on March 2, 2010. And there will be up to $400 cancellation fee (plus applicable taxes) if I cancel my "agreement" before March 2010.

Today, I called a Fido rep. He explained to me that what they're doing/offering is not a contract, since I didn't have to sign it. They call it an AGREEMENT. I explained him my case, and all he said that I can do is to return the new phone before March 18 (15-day period) to have everything reversed back.

I feel it's such a dirty trick . I clearly told him that I didn't want to be in a contract. But of course, to Fido, a binding 2-year agreement is NOT considered a contract.

If you receive an offer from Fido, be aware that if you "agree" on anything, it can count as a Fido Agreement, which binds you into a contract that you don't have to sign.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
CSR's are known for BS like that. Call back and demand to speak to a supervisor, they can resolve your issue.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What part of this didn't set alarm bells ringing?
"It's not a contract. I just need your word to agree that you will stick with Fido in the next 24 months."
If you ask them (callers like that) for their permission to record the conversation some will hang-up. If you pretend to be speaking to somebody else at your place and say something like, "Hey Charlie, we've got another one on the line!", they will all hang-up.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
yes I am after dealing with various BS from them for the past 6 years, gerry, you pathetic excuse for a man.

By the way gerry, Abortions tickle.

Gee...I guess fido lied to my wife when they told her that they bought themselves back from Rogers......... seems strange that our bills are from Fido again and not from Rogers....

and of course, you do realize that Fido was not originally bought by Rogers.....right bubba?

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
yes I am after dealing with various BS from them for the past 6 years, gerry, you pathetic excuse for a man.

By the way gerry, Abortions tickle.

wtf does you last comment have to do with FIDO??? you have a grievance with him... do it else where.. this is clearly off topic and I don't wish to read your worthless **** of an opinion on that....

I too have been dealing with Fido who was bought out by Sprint who was then bought out by Rogers and Fido was taken back by Fido...

Poquas

Feb 28, 2008
Fido (Microcell) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rogers Wireless. It was purchased by Rogers in 2004 for 1.4 Billion.

In case there's any doubt, this is off their own website.

Originally launched by Microcell Solutions Inc. in 1996, Fido offers Personal Communications Services (PCS) and wireless data services in major centres across Canada. Fido has been a subsidiary of Rogers Wireless Inc. since November 2004.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
well then I do stand corrected.... I had fido for cell and sprint for home service... when they merged with Rogers (whom I hated for cell with their billing from previous experience) then I got a letter about last Spring saying they had gone back to Fido when Rogers merged Fido & Sprint...they started screwing around with my home service billing so I cancelled and told what to do with their service.... I still have my cell phone. my offer was 10 a month off and I too stated I would not sign another contract.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

wtf does you last comment have to do with FIDO??? you have a grievance with him... do it else where.. this is clearly off topic and I don't wish to read your worthless **** of an opinion on that....

I too have been dealing with Fido who was bought out by Sprint who was then bought out by Rogers and Fido was taken back by Fido...

Piss off Jenn. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

read this, directly from Rogers Web site http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/medias/about.shtml

"Originally launched by Microcell Solutions Inc. in 1996, Fido offers Personal Communications Services (PCS) and wireless data services in major centres across Canada. Fido has been a subsidiary of Rogers Wireless Inc. since November 2004."

So, why don't you do a little research, ok?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
gerry, obviously your wife is brilliant, but apparently she is naive enough to listen to what a CSR tells her and she does not have the slightest clue as to the corporate structure of the company.

Last edited:

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
Piss off Jenn. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

read this, directly from Rogers Web site http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/medias/about.shtml

"Originally launched by Microcell Solutions Inc. in 1996, Fido offers Personal Communications Services (PCS) and wireless data services in major centres across Canada. Fido has been a subsidiary of Rogers Wireless Inc. since November 2004."

So, why don't you do a little research, ok?

ya well I already stood corrected asshole ... so you piss off.. on other subjects maybe YOU should do some research or shut your mouth..

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I used to work as a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman a long time ago and that job sucked.
I know most of the tricks of the trade.

I used to like going to the sales building when the exhibition came to town.

My favorite was the $4,000.00 book set Britannica encyclopedia booth because those guys used the highest sales pressure tactics.

These guys had a ten-minute sales presentation so I always sat in to see what methods they were using and at the end I told them that I well think about it and left at the displeasure of the salesman.

People that phone you up and try to sell you a product or a service are usually commissioned sales rep, which means that they get paid only if they sell.

So they are highly motivated to sell using any method they can to close the deal and sometimes they lie.

When someone contacts you on the phone listen to their sales presentation if you want to.
If they ask questions tell them you will answer those at the end of the sales presentation (this is a psychological answer).

It tells them that you deal with sales people on a regular bases.

If they ask for your name don’t give it to them they should have your name in front of them on the list they are using.

If they ask for your last name do not tell them just say if you decide to go with their product of service you will give it at that time.

Usually at this point they thank you and hang up.

If they continue the presentation, listen but don’t answer any question until the end.

At the end when they ask you for the information just tell them you need their name and company name, address and contact number. At this point they will either give it or hang up.

If they give you the information then tell them that when their company checks out then you will call them back. This gives you a cooling off period so you can decide if you want it.

This method gives you control of the presentation.

Now this is very important do not buy from the people that call you because they make their money two ways the first way is the sales of the product or service and the second way is they will put you name in lists and rent out to third party mailer even if they have a privacy policy it is hard to prove.

Some companies will pay hundreds of dollars per thousand names that bought a product or service in the past 48 hours.

When you research the product or services on the Internet you will find in most cases you can get it cheaper.

And anytime a cell phone company offers you a phone for less than what it’s worth there is always a two to three year binding contract.