How will Stephen Harper Spank Danny Williams over that "ABC" thing???

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Source: Don't cut payments, Wall says

<H2>Don't cut payments, Wall says

James Wood, Saskatchewan News Network; Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Premier Brad Wall will be offering support but also a warning to Stephen Harper at the Nov. 10 First Ministers conference called by the prime minister on Tuesday.

Wall said the provinces are behind federal efforts to strengthen Canada's financial system and economy in light of the economic turmoil currently facing the world.

But as the Conservative government contemplates budget cuts or a potential deficit, the premier said it must avoid chopping transfer payments to the provinces.

"I think we've seen the folly of federal budgets being balanced on the backs of provincial transfer payments in the past when it happened in the 1990s, because eventually those things, there had to be redress, the federal government had to fix those imbalances," Wall told reporters at the provincial legislature.

Wall said there are areas of federal-provincial duplication of services where the federal government could cut instead, such as "environmental processes." He said there could still be "very onerous" environmental regulations with less bureaucracy.

This will be the first formal First Ministers conference held by Harper, who won another minority government in the Oct. 15 federal election.

Wall is seen as having a particularly close relationship to Harper, while other premiers, such as Newfoundland and Labrador's Danny Williams have relationships with the PM that could only be charitably called frosty.

Wall warns against any federal policies that favour one region over another in response to the economic crisis but said provinces are stressing unity.

Wall said this meeting is not the appropriate venue to raise the province's concerns with the Conservative call to ban the export of raw bitumen to countries that have worse greenhouse gas emission standards than Canada.

</H2>

I wonder how Steven Harper will spank Danny Williams over this next term without punishing
the people of Newfoundland for this "ABC" thing...Everyone has to know it's coming, but how it
will reveal itself is the interesting question. Any guesses???

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Not sure if Harper is small minded enough to punish NFLD because of what Danny did but we shall see.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Probably use his lapdog in Halifax...

What will he do? Not really sure. Maybe redirect Federal Fisheries dollars elsewhere? Rural Newfoundland is still very hard hit by the collapse of the cod fishery. Their hope is in Aquaculture, which DFO plays a large role in.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The news sparked this question for me. The contrast between the Premieres of Newfoundland
and Saskatchewan in how they dealt with the Equalization thing (both got scr*wed over but one
cried and one went to work) is interesting. This was from the promises make by the Conservatives
not in the Federal Election a couple of weeks ago, but in the one before that. Danny Williams has
to know that some kind of hammer is now aimed at his head, but what form will it take???

How will Harper punish Williams without punishing the people of Newfoundland?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He can't punish Williams without punishing the people of Newfoundland. He can make things uncomfortable for the people, and then maybe they'll turf Williams. But it's more likely to cut support for Federal Tories even more in that province.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I couldn't think of a way Harper could spank Williams without punishing the people of Newfoundland either.
That's why I put the question out there. The Maritimes and Ontario are going to be the targets for Harper in
the next Federal Election for more seats....somehow I think my question of, "How can Williams be spanked
without dissolving even more of the Conservatives base in the East even more" is one Harper is asking himself.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
He can't punish Williams without punishing the people of Newfoundland. He can make things uncomfortable for the people, and then maybe they'll turf Williams. But it's more likely to cut support for Federal Tories even more in that province.
Maybe Newfoundland will still get fed at the trough, but due to Danny Williams, it'll be consistently
the last in line? Newfoundland eventually will get what it needs (now necessarily what it wants) but
knowing clearly that the wait is due directly to Mr. Williams himself? Something along those lines?
Somehow, I can't see Harper not letting Danny Williams know that there are consequences for his
actions...but am just curious as to what form it would take to not outright alienate Newfoundland.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Harper doesn't have to do anything. Williams ensured that there is no MP from NL, so he's screwed from the beginning. I think it's funny as heck.

The mayor of St.John's wants someone from NL appointed to cabinet? Ha. Should have thought of that before the election, maybe.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Harper doesn't have to do anything. Williams ensured that there is no MP from NL, so he's screwed from the beginning. I think it's funny as heck.

The mayor of St.John's wants someone from NL appointed to cabinet? Ha. Should have thought of that before the election, maybe.

Harper is still going to want to pick up Seats in Newfoundland among other places, so I can
see some kind of balancing act, but not the form that it will take.

The folks in Quebec might be questioning their position with respect to the BQ for similar
reasons knowing that, for all intents and purposes, due to the current Seat numbers, they
really don't have a voice in Ottawa for this term. With the Lib's on the sidelines, combined
the BQ & NDP & the few independents have less seats than the Con's...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can't see Harper going out of his way to do anything for NL. He could appoint an MP from NS or Alberta to represent NL, though. That would be funny.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Why not appoint someone from Alberta to represent Newfoundland, since a good portion of the NL population is out here anyway. Sad commentary on the state of this country if you ask me.

Let's hope Harper does the right thing and governs the country as a man in his position should, with strong leadership and fair deals for all provinces. But I don't see that happening because our politicians are nothing more than power hungry fools who spend more time humiliating one another than getting down to actual work. By the way, this situation could have happened whether Williams campaigned as he did or not. Why isn't there a plan in place for situations like this? Didn't someone have the foresight to see this coming? What if next election PEI decides to vote all PC and a Liberal government takes office?

Harper can go ahead and push the province to the backburner. Not that it would affect anyone back home. They've lived with that scenario for years. SNAFU.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Why not appoint someone from Alberta to represent Newfoundland, since a good portion of the NL population is out here anyway. Sad commentary on the state of this country if you ask me.

Let's hope Harper does the right thing and governs the country as a man in his position should, with strong leadership and fair deals for all provinces. But I don't see that happening because our politicians are nothing more than power hungry fools who spend more time humiliating one another than getting down to actual work. By the way, this situation could have happened whether Williams campaigned as he did or not. Why isn't there a plan in place for situations like this? Didn't someone have the foresight to see this coming? What if next election PEI decides to vote all PC and a Liberal government takes office?

Harper can go ahead and push the province to the backburner. Not that it would affect anyone back home. They've lived with that scenario for years. SNAFU.

I am sure Harper will govern Canada as he should.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
You mean by running a deficit, breaking laws (ie, set election dates), breaking promises (ie, Atlantic Accord and more listed here)? Yeah, it should be business as usual.

I am sure Harper wished that his time as PM was at a diferent economic time....
Harper doesn’t have the power to spank Danny Williams; he may isolate Danny Williams in an attempt to get even, but that will back fire on Harper come election time…..

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I am sure Harper wished that his time as PM was at a diferent economic time....
Harper doesn’t have the power to spank Danny Williams; he may isolate Danny Williams in an attempt to get even, but that will back fire on Harper come election time…..

How? Most Canadians have very short memories or vote out of habit. By the time the next election rolls around, Danny Williams will be that guy from Hawaii Five-O again.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My perspective is that Stephan is a Federal Conservative, and Danny is a Provincial Conservative who
started the Anything But Conservative campaign. If Mr. Williams was in any other political party, this
would be an non-issue....but he's not in any other party. I assume that something has to happen.

If in the next election PEI decides to vote all PC and a Liberal government takes office? So what? That
isn't what I'm getting at. To be the same scenario, the Premier of PEI would have to be a Liberal herself
(or himself) and start a campaign during a Federal election of Anything But Liberal, and then a Federal
Liberal Party still gets elected in....for this to be a comparable situation.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I see your point Ron. And like a good PC supporter, you want to see revenge enacted against NL for their part in not electing a majority government at this time. Hey, lets send in the troops! Go figure, a politician like Danny Williams shows some intestinal fortitude, sticks to his principles and beliefs, and gets a boot to the nuts for standing up for his province. He didn't toe the party line, so what?

The question still stands: What do we do when a province like NL has no representative in parliment?

Harper might want to keep it cool against Newfoundland. He might need that one or two seats next election.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I see your point Ron. And like a good PC supporter, you want to see revenge enacted against NL for their part in not electing a majority government at this time. Hey, lets send in the troops! Go figure, a politician like Danny Williams shows some intestinal fortitude, sticks to his principles and beliefs, and gets a boot to the nuts for standing up for his province. He didn't toe the party line, so what?

The question still stands: What do we do when a province like NL has no representative in parliment?

Harper might want to keep it cool against Newfoundland. He might need that one or two seats next election.

Now that's Funny! You're wrong, but it's still funny and I got a good laugh out'a it. Thank You!
I did vote Conservative this time, and depending on what happens and where things go over the
next four years, I might vote Conservative next time, or I might not...

I don't want to see revenge enacted against Newfoundland (or anywhere else), and I see NL as
being very similar to Saskatchewan. Small populations, relatively new to significant oil revenues,
both either just into "have" status or potentially not far from it, the butt of many jokes by those that
have never been to either place...and so on and so forth. Both provinces got the shaft on promises
from the Conservatives (=Steven Harper) a couple of years back on Equalization in that it was
claimed that Nonrenewable Natural Resources (like Quebec's hydro) would be except from the
formula and then after the election a cap (not part of the promise) is imposed.

The Premier of Saskatchewan took one plan of action, and the Premier of Newfoundland took another.
In the end I don't know who took the right path. Maybe neither...maybe both...only time will tell.

Most people (I'm assuming here and please correct me if you think I'm wrong) don't make it to the top
of a political party (Provincially or Federally) if they are not coldly calculating political backstabbers with
ferial tendencies with respect to loyalty and revenge, when it suits their cause. I assume somehow that
Harper is going to stab back at Williams for a perceived injustice (right or wrong) and wondered if some
bright person could picture a way that it might happen so that the people in NL don't pay while Harper
does whatever he's going to do, as I couldn't figure it out myself.

You're right, Mr. Williams didn't toe the party line...and this is Canada where everything seems to happen
along party lines (independent thought isn't encouraged in Canadian politics it seems) as opposed to the
U.S. system where it seems the politicians are able to express their own opinions. Am I wrong so far?

I'm assuming something is going to come down the pipe aimed at Danny Williams, regardless of what I
want or don't want....unless the way to enact "revenge" is to do nothing to show the population that
Mr. Williams is irrelevant and that Mr. Harper is the bigger man, or whatever...I don't know. The answer
to my question might tie into your question of what will happen for NL in parliament with no representation.

As far as the "not getting a majority" in a five party system, 144 seats and the Liberals with very empty
pockets = a majority for all intents and purposes. That "not getting a majority," meaning 155+ seats doesn't
matter this time around. The Conservatives won. If you don't think so, count how many times the Liberals
will join the other parties in voting down the Conservatives on a confidence vote between now and 2012.
I wasn't looking for a fight, or to rub anyone's nose in anything (this time, I guess). I was looking for an answer.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hi Ron. Glad I put a smile on your face. Spreading goodwill and cheer among the populace is a privilege and an honor.

Now what is it I'm wrong about? Revenge? Danny's principles? You being a good PC supporter? I could be wrong on the last one.

I agree, if Harper wants to get even with Williams his best approach is to undermine the man, not the province. Let the mudslinging begin. Personally, I think Williams will bury Harper if that happens.

As for the U.S. system, their leaders are merely puppets made to dance by the puppet masters. Our leaders are little better than tyrants with hidden agendas and personal vendettas.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Where were you wrong? About me, myself, WANTING to see revenge enacted against NL. That's it.
You're right on the money about everything else. My curiosity is peaked about Newfoundland in that
it is so similar to Saskatchewan for the reasons I've already have pointed out. There are many more
similarities between the two provinces by far than there are differences.

I assumed (and I know the ass/u/me thing) that Harper, being a politician, would take a stab back
at Williams for the reasons I already have pointed out.

In the last two elections, I did vote Conservative...so at this point I'm a "PC" supporter, but I'm
not a blind supporter of anyone or I wouldn't be the one to have started this thread. I really did
appreciate the laugh too. Again, thank you.