Baked Beans

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A lot of people don't like canned baked beans but home baked beans baked from scratch in your own oven are hard to beat. Here is a recipe I use with a barbeque several times a year.

2 large smoked pork shanks(one pound each)
2 cups dry navy beans
1/2 cup molasses
8 cups water
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 bay leaves

Throw everything into a large pot with a lid and simmer for seven to eight hours stirring occasionally. If it goes dry add water and stir.
Remove shanks, take off skin, remove meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Add meat back into beans.

Goes great with barbequed beef, pork or chicken.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
A lot of people don't like canned baked beans but home baked beans baked from scratch in your own oven are hard to beat. Here is a recipe I use with a barbeque several times a year.

2 large smoked pork shanks(one pound each)
2 cups dry navy beans
1/2 cup molasses
8 cups water
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 bay leaves

Throw everything into a large pot with a lid and simmer for seven to eight hours stirring occasionally. If it goes dry add water and stir.
Remove shanks, take off skin, remove meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Add meat back into beans.

Goes great with barbequed beef, pork or chicken.

That looks easy and sounds tasty.
I think I'll have to give it a try!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'll have to try your recipe Juan. I've never had a lot of success with mine. My Mother-in-law made the best baked beans I've ever tasted. I asked for the recipe but she just gave me one of those "just do this" types of things and I never could quite get it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
this is essentially the same as my great grandmother's recipe, but, hers uses a bit more sugar, and no bay leaf. Perhaps I'll give the bay leaf a try next time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
this is essentially the same as my great grandmother's recipe, but, hers uses a bit more sugar, and no bay leaf. Perhaps I'll give the bay leaf a try next time.

Good morning Karrie- I gather your "cramped" hand is recovered. :lol::lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The thing I like about this recipe is that it is simple. About half the recipes out there will call for you to soak the beans in water overnight or cook the meat beforehand in the water to make a broth. The recipe has been in our family for close to a hundred years. One of the reasons it has survived is that it is simple.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
now that just sounded dirty. lol.

I know I'm finished.

The thing I like about this recipe is that it is simple. About half the recipes out there will call for you to soak the beans in water overnight or cook the meat beforehand in the water to make a broth. The recipe has been in our family for close to a hundred years. One of the reasons it has survived is that it is simple.

Just like Memere. That's Grandma in Quebecois. She never had a recipe but that is what she did. I'm gonna try it.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
My sister,once a few years ago made a batch of beans in a roast pan with a pheasant stuffed in the middle,uuummm uuummm good,I've also had beans with porcupine,pigeon,moose,deer and less" exotic" meats.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A couple of questions about this recipe- 8 hours simmering? Aren't they supposed to go in the oven? Couldn't get pork shanks, what happens if you use spare ribs instead?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
A couple of questions about this recipe- 8 hours simmering? Aren't they supposed to go in the oven? Couldn't get pork shanks, what happens if you use spare ribs instead?
I'm wondering if you could use ham?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In the oven is great. If I couldn't get pork shanks I would use a slab or two of unsliced bacon. I would always try a smoked pork cut of some kind I always find it is easier to maintain a low simmer in a low oven (225degrees)than on top of the stove. Beans tend to dry out the meat.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In the oven is great. If I couldn't get pork shanks I would use a slab or two of unsliced bacon. I would always try a smoked pork cut of some kind I always find it is easier to maintain a low simmer in a low oven (225degrees)than on top of the stove. Beans tend to dry out the meat.

Thanks #Juan- Would an electric crock pot work, set on low?

I'm wondering if you could use ham?

Not wishing to steal #Juan's "thunder" I think a ham bone would work fine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
JLM, Karrie
Any salt-cured, bit of smoked pork.......Like a ham bone.....or a ham shank. I wouldn't use uncured pork like ribs.

Slow cooker works fine.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, Karrie
Any salt-cured, bit of smoked pork.......Like a ham bone.....or a ham shank. I wouldn't use uncured pork like ribs.

Slow cooker works fine.

Thanks again. As soon as I get that one final ingredient first thing in the morning in the pot it goes.