Meals using Sausages

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am always amazed when restaurants obviously don't know how to cook sausages. Often the sausages are browned on two sides and raw in the middle. I have a sister who has burned every sausage she ever cooked. Sausages are a great companion for scrambled eggs, or any kind of eggs. The following is one way I've found to cook sausage that ensures that they are well cooked and browned just the way I like them:
For breakfast I usually cook three sausages per person. I have a large stainless steel frying pan with a glass lid that will handle a dozen sausages easily. Put the sausage in the frying pan and put in enough water to half cover the sausages. Bring the water to a boil and turn heat down and simmer covered for fifteen minutes. One option is to pierce each sausage a few times with a fork to let some of the fat out.while sausage is cooking.. Pour off the water and add maybe a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Stir sausage around to coat all the sausages with the oil. . Turn the heat back up and lightly brown the sausage on all sides, turning with a fork.............This won't take long........Maybe five minutes, and you can transfer the sausages to a warm plate and start your eggs...

There are many different kinds of sausages, from the tasty breakfast sausage to British banger sausage to hot Italian sausage, and many others.

Does anyone have a favourite sausage dish?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd have to say one of my fave sausage dishes is lasagna. Instead of ground beef (which i what we grew up eating in lasagna), take Italian sausage and crumble it into your fave recipe. Perfection.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I haven't tried that yet, but I will.

I make spaghetti and meat balls fairly often and sometimes I will replace the meatballs with mild Italian sausage cooked as above, and cut into one inch pieces.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I make spaghetti and meat balls fairly often and sometimes I will replace the meatballs with mild Italian sausage cooked as above, and cut into one inch pieces.

See, I go even further when doing spaghetti and meat balls. I take the meat out of the casing and make little meat balls. Fry them up in the pot I'll be making the sauce in until nicely browned, then deglaze with a touch of red wine. Add your sauce and simmer, and you have on heck of a spaghetti and meat ball meal with very little effort.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I love almost any kind of sausage. My wife cannot stand the smell of sausages. Ergo, I don't eat sausages alot :(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
See, I go even further when doing spaghetti and meat balls. I take the meat out of the casing and make little meat balls. Fry them up in the pot I'll be making the sauce in until nicely browned, then deglaze with a touch of red wine. Add your sauce and simmer, and you have on heck of a spaghetti and meat ball meal with very little effort.

Somewhere on these boards I posted a recipe for Spaghetti and meatballs using three hot Italian sausages along with a pound of ground round to make the meatballs. The ground beef tempers the hot sausage a bit. The meatballs are still spicy enough for most people.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Somewhere on these boards I posted a recipe for Spaghetti and meatballs using three hot Italian sausages along with a pound of ground round to make the meatballs. The ground beef tempers the hot sausage a bit. The meatballs are still spicy enough for most people.

I wonder how it would be with 'veggie ground round'. Hubby can handle a bit of red meat, but, anywhere I can substitute is a bonus. Friday's lasagna for example ended up being made with crumbled chicken meat balls instead of Italian sausage the way I like.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
One of the easiest best tasting soups I ever make is called Mexically Chowder...has corn, sausages, canned tomatoes, onions, celery, chili powder etc...put it all in a slow cooker (after youv'e browned off the sausages) and when you come home from skiing/work or whatever you've got a great tasting soup ready 4 ya!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of the easiest best tasting soups I ever make is called Mexically Chowder...has corn, sausages, canned tomatoes, onions, celery, chili powder etc...put it all in a slow cooker (after youv'e browned off the sausages) and when you come home from skiing/work or whatever you've got a great tasting soup ready 4 ya!

Sounds good. Can you give us a recipe?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

I think spaghetti is better with Italian sausage instead of meatballs.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think spaghetti is better with Italian sausage instead of meatballs.

Risus

I think it depends on what you put in the meatballs. Some people make meatballs with just ground beef and they tend to be a bit dry.

I have posted a recipe for spaghetti and meatballs somewhere on this forum. I'll see if I can dig it up.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I love almost any kind of sausage. My wife cannot stand the smell of sausages. Ergo, I don't eat sausages alot :(

Nothing gets me out of bed quicker in the morning
than the smell of cooking sausages. I'm lucky I guess because both my wife and I love sausages. You have my sympathy....;-):lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Marriage counciling or hypnosis Zzarchov, my former wife no longer enjoys my company for just such an insurmountable problem, for me it was stew. I could not convince her to not rinse the stew under the tap and not add fresh water just before she served it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Marriage counciling or hypnosis Zzarchov, my former wife no longer enjoys my company for just such an insurmountable problem, for me it was stew. I could not convince her to not rinse the stew under the tap and not add fresh water just before she served it.

Insurmountable problem?...............That was grounds for justifiable homicide.....:roll:;-)

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'd have to say one of my fave sausage dishes is lasagna. Instead of ground beef (which i what we grew up eating in lasagna), take Italian sausage and crumble it into your fave recipe. Perfection.

I've done that before and I have to agree, it turns bland lasagna into a spicy treat. you can experiment as well with different types of sausage.....yum.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You guys are making me hungry, and I love all kinds of sausages, in fact, there's not much I
don't like.
I have started watching 'Lidia's Italy', and 'One Plate at a Time in Mexico', and they both cook wonderful dishes. Lidia made a dinner the other day, that contained potatoes and
big fat sausages, I'm going to try it soon. They are both very good to watch, lidia is truely
italian, and all the shows come from Italy, and the fellow who does the mexican dishes is
delightful, so energetic, and knowledgeable, makes cooking a real treat. PBS, I have
express vu, and it is on late in the evening, and i'm sure in the daytime as well.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Sounds good. My only comment would be that the Italian sausage I use gives off an awful lot of fat in cooking. (almost a half a cup from a pound of sausage). I always bake the sausage(350 degrees for twenty minutes) and pour off the fat before I add the sausage to the sauce.

What the hell, nobody lives forever.....................;-):smile:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Today's breakfast. I put some smoked sausage and chopped onion in olive oil on the wood stove and let it slow cook for an hour. Then I tossed in some leftover spaghetti noodles (plain), parmesan and ground pepper. Yum.

Ah, the beauty of living alone. Eat what you want, when you want. :smile: