Haiti,lets discuss it civilly

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
These disasters bring out the best and the worst of people but I like to focus on the good and the positives.
Watching the coverage on TV today was heartwrenching and it looks like lots are doing what they can to help.
I truly share their pain and wish I could do more.
This global outpouring of relief shows that this world still has people that have faith in this big ball and us peeps that inhabitate it.

I just wanted to start a thread that deals with this tragedy alone and not partisan politics so we can all keep up to date on whats going on there.

Numbers to reach loved ones can be posted here or other pertinent info and if a mod can make this a sticky so it doesnt get buried that would be good to.

Thoughts?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Done. It is currently Sticky.

This will not keep this Thread at the top of the front page though, but it will
keep it at the top of the sub-forum (Hot Topics) that is was posted in.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
World vision

Earthquake in Haiti

World Vision is on the ground right now in the Haitian city of Port-Au-Prince, helping families and children devastated by the 7.0-magnitude earthquake Tuesday afternoon. Your donations are vital to the relief efforts and are needed today.

Every dollar makes a difference and now if you give a donation to the Haiti Earthquake victims through World Vision, by February 12th, it will double in impact due to a generous contribution from the Canadian Government.

With an international response team flying in from around the globe to assist, our relief efforts are underway. World Vision Haiti is now distributing emergency supplies to families and children struggling to deal with this catastrophic disaster.

World Vision has been working in Haiti for over 30 years, helping an estimate 300,000 Haitians each year to overcome poverty through providing access to education, improved access to food and clean water and improved nutrition as well as helping families with improved medical care. Now, more than ever, your help is needed to help families in Haiti and let them know they are not alone in this emergency.

Earthquake in Haiti

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've been thinking the past couple of days that if every citizen in Canada who feels they are better off than the average would just send $20 to REd Cross that would amount to over $300 million. So folks if you have enough to eat, a warm dry bed and clothes on your back (and a change in the drawer) send $20. It takes 5 minutes to do on line.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Transfer some troops from Afghanistan to Haiti. Not today but once all the criterias and needs are sorted out.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I've been thinking the past couple of days that if every citizen in Canada who feels they are better off than the average would just send $20 to REd Cross that would amount to over $300 million. So folks if you have enough to eat, a warm dry bed and clothes on your back (and a change in the drawer) send $20. It takes 5 minutes to do on line.

I agree. But beware... disasters bring out the best and worst in people. Make sure you donate to reputable organizations. Some bogus charities will attempt to take advantage, which doesn't help Haitians.

With a disaster on this scale, economies of scale are more efficient than smaller organizations. The biggest are:
Canadian Red Cross, Doctors without borders and World Vision,...

CBC:
Haitian contacts, relief efforts
CBC News - Canada - Haitian contacts, relief efforts

Don't forget to get a receipt and claim on your donation on your income tax.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
These disasters bring out the best and the worst of people but I like to focus on the good and the positives.
Watching the coverage on TV today was heartwrenching and it looks like lots are doing what they can to help.
I truly share their pain and wish I could do more.
This global outpouring of relief shows that this world still has people that have faith in this big ball and us peeps that inhabitate it.

I just wanted to start a thread that deals with this tragedy alone and not partisan politics so we can all keep up to date on whats going on there.

Numbers to reach loved ones can be posted here or other pertinent info and if a mod can make this a sticky so it doesnt get buried that would be good to.

Thoughts?

well said, our family is pooling together a donation, it
will go through world vision.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Tremendous effort around the world and right here at home to get aid to the Haitian people. The pictures coming out of Port-au-Prince are heartbreaking. Hang in there, we're coming to help.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Tremendous effort around the world and right here at home to get aid to the Haitian people. The pictures coming out of Port-au-Prince are heartbreaking. Hang in there, we're coming to help.

yes we are, I watched anderson cooper for a little while
today, but couldn't endure it, too sad, and we can't possibly comprehend what those poor people are going through.

We must get it through our heads that we could be in the
same position some day, yes it could be a reality.
Gather together your earthquake kits now, store them
in a good place, along with water, change it now and then,
for fresh water, and hope you will never need it.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if voodoo is a real phenomenom, i hope the haitian voodoo knowledge was lost in the earthquake.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
For Disaster like if zero chance (STORMS , TSUNAMI , EARTHQUAKES on 7 + Scale) to survive or very less then you should have free communication channel connections and links to VSAT - TWO WAY and offcourse control of same should be in other side of earth plate HF Radio is also good sometimes

As Latency is very less around 600 - 900 MS

Generators , Fuel and Food or a safe place like shown something in 2012 movie

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
On CBC Edmonton this morning a man from this area was talking about being on a United Nations emergency preparedness team. He has a number of sniffer dogs that are called upon to help with rescue operations in disaster areas around the world. Within 1/2 hour of the quake in Haiti he was contacted and asked to be ready to mobilize at a moments notice.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I noticed in our local paper that a local oil company has a full page ad with contact info for the Red Cross and others for people to donate to, and they are matching employee contributions dollar for dollar, as well as an additional $50,000.

Some people spend their energy whining and complaining, others just step up to the plate and do something useful. We need more of the latter, and less of the fewer.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I noticed in our local paper that a local oil company has a full page ad with contact info for the Red Cross and others for people to donate to, and they are matching employee contributions dollar for dollar, as well as an additional $50,000.

Some people spend their energy whining and complaining, others just step up to the plate and do something useful. We need more of the latter, and less of the fewer.

I see First air's 2 hercs on the airstrip there this morning so thats good news.
Those are what most of Nunavut uses to resupply the territory in winter so thats quite a sacrifice pulling them out and sending them there.
First Air planes join Haiti relief

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
There is no need to complain about anything yet, people are doing the best they can. Best thing you do is donate money, whatever you can afford to Haiti, it will take them years to recover. Keep in mind that in 6-7 more months they will be in hurricane season again.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Canadian safe after texting from Haitian rubble

Reuters US Online Report Internet News | 2010-01-13 22:15:47
OTTAWA (Reuters) - A Canadian woman who was trapped under rubble in quake-stricken Haiti appeared to have been rescued on Wednesday after she texted Ottawa for help.
The woman managed to use her cellphone or hand-held device to send the text message, which was received by the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa, nearly 3,000 km (1,900 miles) away. It was relayed to Canadian diplomats back in Haiti, who rushed to provide assistance.
Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon's office later said it understood she was "safe" but declined to provide details.
Officials were still searching for two of the 82 Canadian police officers who are part of a U.N. force in the impoverished country, including the acting police commissioner for the force, Supt. Doug Coates. His office was in the U.N. building that collapsed.
Canada's Haitian-born governor general, Michaelle Jean, broke down in tears as she reflected on the devastation to her native country.
Jean is the representative of Queen Elizabeth, Canada's head of state, and said the situation in Haiti had monopolized her attention since the earthquake struck on Tuesday.
"The images and news reports are unbearable to watch -- so much distress, suffering and loss," she told reporters after attending a briefing session with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Harper and Jean were told the Canadian Forces were in the process of arranging for ships, helicopters and relief equipment to be sent to Haiti.
A 20-strong military reconnaissance team was already flying in on Wednesday and the military's Disaster Assistance Response Team was being readied to be sent as soon as the advance group says exactly what is needed.
Transport aircraft will fly in three rescue helicopters on Thursday. The destroyer HMCS Athabaskan and the frigate HMCS Halifax and 500 service personnel will also depart Nova Scotia on Thursday with another helicopter, with the emphasis on providing light engineering and medical help.
Canada has a large Haitian population, and Haiti is the largest recipient in the Americas of Canadian aid. Ottawa has allocated an initial C$5 million ($4.9 million) for emergency relief.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Reports of looting and robberies are coming in. A UN warehouse has been ransacked. Meanwhile watch out for internet scams. Reports of internet scams and emails appearing like legitimate charities have become rampant.

If you choose to donate, please go to the charities website or call them by their 1-800 number.