THE UNITED NATIONS- Are they any use?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This outfit strikes me as being a world leader when it comes to parasites. Is it time to "deep six" them? Any ideas? What would it take to get rid of them?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The UN, like the League of Nations before them, is a largely toothless organization when it comes to enforcing anything but at the same time, I think it does provide a valuable platform as a place for the nations of the world to at least table/discuss disputes. It ultimately failed to stop something like the US invasion of Iraq but it provided a place for both countries to make a case for the international community/press, and to be honest the failure as much in the intractibility of its members as the organization itself, although some members do go pretty far in wanting to influence the sovereignty of others.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The UN was set up following World War II to ensure that no other Hitler ever comes to power in any country again. Therefore the UN should have SUPPORTED the War in Iraq, in which Saddam was ousted and hanged, rather than have been against it. An equivalent stance in 1939, if it had been around then, would have seen it not supporting Britain and France's declaration of war against Nazi Germany.

A BBC poll in 2004 showed that a majority of Britons thought that there should be times when Britain should go to war, if it was for a good reason, even if the UN was against it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The UN was set up following World War II to ensure that no other Hitler ever comes to power in any country again. Therefore the UN should have SUPPORTED the War in Iraq, in which Saddam was ousted and hanged, rather than have been against it. An equivalent stance in 1939, if it had been around then, would have seen it not supporting Britain and France's declaration of war against Nazi Germany.

A BBC poll in 2004 showed that a majority of Britons thought that there should be times when Britain should go to war, if it was for a good reason, even if the UN was against it.

My sentiments exactly, good to see someone with good sense when it comes to Iraq and Saddam.

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009

Saddam was gassing his people for decades, the Americans supported Saddam through this. It was only when he invaded Kuwait and interfered with the oil is when the Americans had a problem. Not when he was destroying his own people.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JLM

Love love love the topic and your assessment with which I am in full agreement.

I loathe the moneygrabbers who have lost their primary purpose and have become
a mockery of all the good nations who support them and their "work".

Alternatively I believe the concept of a smaller representation of all the nations in
the world could still be a factor in searching for peace, inter-relationships, cooperation, uplifting of nations and all the other "good" things the U.N. have
neglected for years, but I would be adamant that their meetings were televised or
put up on the internet with reliable translation for the world to read and digest.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
TA BBC poll in 2004 showed that a majority of Britons thought that there should be times when Britain should go to war, if it was for a good reason, even if the UN was against it.

Sounds like a musty remnant of the old empire oblige.

However, the majority of the British public was against the Iraq War! Did you forget the marches?

O yes, during the Suez fiasco when Britain and France were prepared for war, Canada's Pearson through the UN...

Honestly, you should be reporting history honesty!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Saddam was gassing his people for decades, the Americans supported Saddam through this. It was only when he invaded Kuwait and interfered with the oil is when the Americans had a problem. Not when he was destroying his own people.

Ever hear of "the straw that broke the camel's back"?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I always feel compelled to mention that without the UN, humans would not have successfully wiped out a disease.

It's very easy to sit here, in our affluent nations, away from civil wars, corrupt governments, and ponder on the worth of such an organization that feeds, hydrates, gives access to sanitation and medicine, amongst many other projects.

Everyday people who live in countries whose resources (natural, capital, human) have been wiped out by unfortunate circumstances, are given access to the basics that we take for granted. Some also seem to take for granted that there is such a thing as good government and bad. Mugabe anyone?

The Security Council for instance, is a joke. I think that needs to go. It can't be reformed. If we get rid of the UN, what parts are worth saving? How do you keep them functioning? How do you reform those that need it?

Reactions: Niflmir

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think there are aspects of the UN that are useful. If it were me, however, I would be a lot more choosy about which countries were members.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I think there are aspects of the UN that are useful. If it were me, however, I would be a lot more choosy about which countries were members.

The fact that it is a meating place for nations to discuus issues you comment makes no sense.

All or none.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The fact that it is a meating place for nations to discuus issues you comment makes no sense.

All or none.
Only to you, I think. Why would I, as the UN, want to consider the words of countries that do nothing but abuse their populations? Why would I not kick them out of the room and exclude them from further discussion amongst reasonable countries?
All or none. Either or. You sound like Bush: " if'n yew isnt wiff us, yew is aginst us."

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Th UN still has a large roll to play in world affairs. It is the release valve where countries can
use the diplomatic efforts of each other in order to prevent more serious situations in the world.
As for NWO yes it is a Conservative dream not only that it was one of Hitlers great slogans
that and Turn Back the Clock.
As for the WTO that too will eventually fade with time and world affairs.

This world is in a mess economically and the trade issues will come to the fore. We are going
to see the world slowly drift into political and economic uncertainty that will divide the world on
the same old ground. Trade.