17-year-old girl stoned to death for loving boy of wrong religion

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
17-year-old girl stoned to death for loving boy of wrong religion

2nd May 2007
Daily Mail

A 17-year-old girl has been stoned to death in Iraq because she loved a teenage boy of the wrong religion.

As a horrifying video of the stoning went out on the Internet, the British arm of Amnesty International condemned the death of Du’a Khalil Aswad as "an abhorrent murder" and demanded that her killers be brought to justice.

Reports from Iraq said a local security force witnessed the incident, but did nothing to try to stop it. Now her boyfriend is in hiding in fear for his life.

Miss Aswad, a member of a minority Kurdish religious group called Yezidi, was condemned to death as an "honour killing" by other men in her family and hardline religious leaders because of her relationship with the Sunni Muslim boy.

The teenager was dragged outside by 8 or 9 men and stoned for half an hour until she died. Her boyfriend is now in hiding in fear for his life

They said she had shamed herself and her family when she failed to return home one night. Some reports suggested she had converted to Islam to be closer to her boyfriend.

Miss Aswad had taken shelter in the house of a Yezidi tribal leader in Bashika, a predominantly Kurdish town near the northern capital, Mosul.

A large crowd watched as eight or nine men stormed the house and dragged Miss Aswad into the street. There they hurled stones at her for half an hour until she was dead.

The stoning happened last month, but only came to light yesterday with the release of the Internet video.

It is feared her death has already triggered a retaliatory attack. Last week 23 Yezidi workmen were forced off a bus travelling from Mosulto Bashika by a group of Sunni gunmen and summarily shot dead.

An Amnesty International spokesman in London said they receive frequent reports of honour crimes from Iraq – particularly in the predominantly Kurdish north.

Most victims are women and girls who are considered by male relatives to have shamed their families by immoral behaviour.

Kurdish authorities have introduced reforms outlawing honour killings, but have failed to investigate them or prosecute suspects, added the Amnesty spokesman.

Kate Allen, the organisation’s UK director, said: "This young girl’s murder is truly abhorrent and her killers must be brought to justice.

"Unless the authorities respond vigorously to this and any other reports of crimes in the name of 'honour', we must fear for the future of women in Iraq."

dailymail.co.uk

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's a medieval part of the world. The west went through growing pains like this, too. It is sad, though.

Last edited:

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
8 or 9 big, strong, barbaric, 'brave,' religiously fanatical 'men' exuberant in their primitive concept of what constitutes morality, needed to drag a 17 year old girl. Sickening byond belief.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's a medieval part of the world. The west went through growing pains like this, too. It is sad, though.

You hit the nail right on the head Walter. Europe did in fact go through a period of turmoil because of religion. When Europe was laid waste after the 100 years War and the many other wars between Reformists and Catholics it was decided that religion is not a reason for the States (meaning nations as the modern day European nations were not fully formed) to go to war and institutions of religious tolerance were to be enacted. The treaty wasn't perfect but it laid the ground work for Europe to evolve.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Like I learned from the right wingers concerning the Afghan detainee abuse allegations, we REALLY can't expect other folks to do things our way, telling them what to do would be wrong. Glad I got that sorted out, too, it makes this kind of article into more of an "interest" piece than anything else- it's interesting how different cultures operate

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
really bad,how can they?

Probably you are right,i think this part of the world could be describes like this, however how do you consider the west?

how would you consider if iran would have invaded canada, usa and mexico, based on speculations and would have done the same as everything the us coalitions did in middle east?

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
This murdering of women...this shaming them and throwing them away is always being called a "cultural thing", but I feel it's more than that.

You don't hear many stories of men being stoned to death because of this...I am so beyond outraged at the treatment of women across the globe and the acceptance of it as well.

Reactions: Libra Girl

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This murdering of women...this shaming them and throwing them away is always being called a "cultural thing", but I feel it's more than that.

You don't hear many stories of men being stoned to death because of this...I am so beyond outraged at the treatment of women across the globe and the acceptance of it as well.

The article clearly stated that the boy was facing the same fate, and was in hiding because of it. When a man is beaten to death though, we don't evaluate it in the same way. If a man is beaten to death, well, he was just beaten to death. We don't look at it as a gender issue, or even a religious or family issue usually. We don't evaluate the reasons behind it the same way.

Reactions: mabudon

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
The article clearly stated that the boy was facing the same fate, and was in hiding because of it. When a man is beaten to death though, we don't evaluate it in the same way. If a man is beaten to death, well, he was just beaten to death. We don't look at it as a gender issue, or even a religious or family issue usually. We don't evaluate the reasons behind it the same way.

The article says he is in fear for his life, but I question if he is actually in danger.

And no, we don't question a man being beaten to death the way we do when I woman is. If it was common for Women to beat Men to death, maybe that would be an issue. My bet is it's more likely that when a man is beaten to death...it's a man that did it and therefore is not a gender issue. I am aware that there are stories of women killing men...I'm not saying that never happens. But I've read that 85% of women who are murdered are killed by their spouse/partner. I bet almost the entire other 15% is other men.
I'm not a man-hater...although I can see how I may come across that way, but I truly believe that violence against women is rampant in every country and in some countries it's more acceptable and more the norm than others.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The article says he is in fear for his life, but I question if he is actually in danger.

And no, we don't question a man being beaten to death the way we do when I woman is. If it was common for Women to beat Men to death, maybe that would be an issue. My bet is it's more likely that when a man is beaten to death...it's a man that did it and therefore is not a gender issue. I am aware that there are stories of women killing men...I'm not saying that never happens. But I've read that 85% of women who are murdered are killed by their spouse/partner. I bet almost the entire other 15% is other men.
I'm not a man-hater...although I can see how I may come across that way, but I truly believe that violence against women is rampant in every country and in some countries it's more acceptable and more the norm than others.

I guess I just don't really see it as much different, if a boy is beaten to death for shaming his family, or a girl is beaten to death for shaming her family. One is looked at more harshly, but I fail to see the difference. A life is ended for a moronic reason.

Of course women don't often beat people to death. We find sneakier, smarter ways of killing people. Stabbing, poisoning, getting a man to beat them to death for us. We don't have the strength, so we find other ways.

Don't get me wrong, I know women are treated more harshly in these cultures. But, they're also the ones that make it to the media. Plenty of men die in middle eastern countries every day, for religious reasons much the same as the one which ended this girl's life. But it wouldn't cast the same light in the media, and so we don't hear about it.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Violence is very much a part of life on earth. I don't believe the line about it being "natural" in the LEAST

But as long as we believe we are both civilized and yet not above violence in "special" cases" it will always be there.
Interpersonal violence, international violence, same damn thing really. Man kills child, child kills parent, woman kills husband, "warrior" kills "enemy", there really is no difference between any of these acts, they are all basically deplorable, yet there are those who insist that such is the way of things.

Until the "sometimes violence is necessary, sometimes it's even 'good'" ideology is viewed as the barbaric, simplistic piece of universally-justifying BS that it is, tales such a the one in the OP and everywhere else will NOT surprise me in the least. Which is sad, but oh well, dummies like to have excuses for their barbarism.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
I guess I just don't really see it as much different, if a boy is beaten to death for shaming his family, or a girl is beaten to death for shaming her family. One is looked at more harshly, but I fail to see the difference. A life is ended for a moronic reason.

Of course women don't often beat people to death. We find sneakier, smarter ways of killing people. Stabbing, poisoning, getting a man to beat them to death for us. We don't have the strength, so we find other ways.

Don't get me wrong, I know women are treated more harshly in these cultures. But, they're also the ones that make it to the media. Plenty of men die in middle eastern countries every day, for religious reasons much the same as the one which ended this girl's life. But it wouldn't cast the same light in the media, and so we don't hear about it.

That's fair. I disagree, but...just my opinion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

And really, you don't come off as a man hater. You come across as a woman who looks at the world from a female perspective. I try to make sure I'm seeing the issue from a balanced view. Men being beaten to death deserve to have the issue of violence against them addressed just as much as women do. The fact that it happens within the same gender more often than not, doesn't make it okay, or make it disappear. Well, unless we're talking in terms of media, in which case I suppose it does disappear more often than not.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007

I'm sure men are being killed in these countries and for religious or cultural reasons as well. But the only way we hear about these things is because they are in the media or in reports or research. That is how information gets out and people are educated on issues. If there are not as many stories in the media or government reports about men being murdered, maybe there just aren't as many stories as women being killed. We can't be sure of any these facts.
Violene against women is used to keep them in their place. They are beaten or raped or killed often just because they are women. If they were men and did the exact same thing, they would not be killed...they are killed because they did what they did as a woman.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
And really, you don't come off as a man hater. You come across as a woman who looks at the world from a female perspective. I try to make sure I'm seeing the issue from a balanced view. Men being beaten to death deserve to have the issue of violence against them addressed just as much as women do. The fact that it happens within the same gender more often than not, doesn't make it okay, or make it disappear. Well, unless we're talking in terms of media, in which case I suppose it does disappear more often than not.

I completely agree that any violence needs to be addressed. I think any violence against another person is horrible and degrading. But I just don't see it the same way. I don't think that men are beaten because they're men. And it's usually a man that does the beating. Violent crimes against men are just different than violent crimes against women...unless it's like a drive-by shooting or something:smile: .
Anyway, I've been told that I have no tact and that I have to accept other's opinions, so...:lol:
Peace Karrie!

Reactions: karrie

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
EDIT ninja post Josephine- I am referring to the post above the last one (can't really argue with "peace" lol)

I would respectfully disagree with that last sentence, Josephine (in particular), but not in a direct manner, since what you said is true in too many cases

That being said, men are killed because they're men a LOT- tho much less domestically I would admit

How bout "all the fighting age males will DIE"?? Usually the women and children are spared (admittedly again to be subjected to perhaps fates more cruel than death)

Your branding of murder as a gender issue is, to me at least, a tad too narrow to even be productive in any way. Making it a gender issue muddies the underlying problems, trying to pin a VERY complex problem on an almost insignificant facet of the big picture

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I completely agree that any violence needs to be addressed. I think any violence against another person is horrible and degrading. But I just don't see it the same way. I don't think that men are beaten because they're men. And it's usually a man that does the beating. Violent crimes against men are just different than violent crimes against women...unless it's like a drive-by shooting or something:smile: .
Anyway, I've been told that I have no tact and that I have to accept other's opinions, so...:lol:
Peace Karrie!

Argh... silly people, putting ends to discussions. Tsk. I'd say ignore it, but, it can be awfully hard to ignore negative rep at times.

But, I still don't get why a man being beaten to death is not the same as a woman being beaten to death, even if the exact same thing precipitated it.

If this boy ends up stoned to death because of having been with this girl, it carries the same importance to me.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Just a side-note, I hope it isn't me you're referring to- in any case, I didn't hit anyone with anything negative in this thread, nor any other, I was honestly trying to further a conversation here- oh well :D