British soldier in Iraq describes moment Americans attacked his convoy

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why is it than when it comes to fighting wars the Americans are so useless and the British are so much better?

US warplanes hit British tank convoy in Iraq, inquest told

By Emma Henry and agencies

30/01/2007

A teenage soldier awarded the highest British honour for gallantry has described the terrifying moment when his tank convoy came under fire from AMERICAN planes in Iraq.

L/Cpl Matty Hull died in March 2003. Despite being friendly, him and his convoy were attacked by the Americans.

George Cross holder L/Cpl Chris Finney, 19, said he had been driving the lead Scimitar tank in a convoy of four away from Basra in southern Iraq on a reconnaissance mission, when the two A-10 tankbuster planes struck on March 28, 2003.

He told the Oxford inquest into colleague L/Cpl of Horse Matty Hull's death that he did not know at the time these were American planes until he saw one lining up to fire for a second time.

L/Cpl Hull's widow listened in tears as L/Cpl Finney said said: "At first there were sparks everywhere and the vehicles stopped, they obviously had been stopped by something. I couldn't actually see what had hit us or where from.

He said he reversed back on the instructions of the commander and into the tank carrying L/Cpl Hull, 25, of Windsor, Berkshire.

He said as he jumped out of his tank, he tried to grab his rifle but a fire inside the vehicle forced him back. He said he realised that there were still people inside as he took cover. He said: "I was looking around me and couldn't really see. I then looked back at my vehicle to see my gunner trying to get out."

Oxfordshire Assistant Deputy Coroner Andrew Walker said the gunner was suffering from a large leg wound. L/Cpl Finney, then a trooper with just one year's experience in the army, pulled him out of the burning vehicle and began to give him medical treatment.

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAA, COWBOY! WOOO! American military in Iraq: Absolutely useless. Brainded morons. Nowhere near as good as the British. If there's one brain cell to share around them all it would be a miracle. The light is on but methinks it's dim.

As he did so, he was aware that a type of smoke used by coalition forces to indicate a friendly fire incident had been released by one of the tanks in the convoy.

He said: "From where I was I wasn't aware that it was a plane or anything like that.

All I knew was our vehicles had been hit and the smoke had been deployed.

"I was still with my gunner on the floor at this point and the plane came back into view to start its second run."

The inquest heard that he himself had been hit in the arm, but he was only aware of his arm shaking and did not realise he was injured until later.

He told Mr Walker that he went back to L/Cpl Hull's tank to try to save whoever was inside, but fierce flames forced him back.

Mr Walker told him: "I should just like to say, Mr Finney, that you are an extremely brave man and are to be commended for what you did, because it seems to me that had you not taken the steps that you did to move your gunner away from this incident then his injuries may well have been significantly more than they were."

L/Cpl Hull, from Princes William and Harry's Blues and Royals, the Household Cavalry Regiment, died at the scene and his remains were left in the tank until they could safely be recovered the next day.

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited:

red dog

Dec 29, 2004
doesnt matter who's in the pic. the americans were still bombing the wrong people

It does matter,if your going to insult the military at least put the people your insulting in the pic,especially if your going to be slandering them.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
It honestly doesnt matter to me. After all, it looks very much like the original poster added the caption him/herself. A simple matter of confusion, as opposed to the rather more pertinant matter, which you are steadfastly refusing to even acknowledge, which is that of American planes attacking UK tanks.

This isnt the first time we've heard reports of the US military shooting before thinking. When you give a soldier a weapon you ought really to teach them to work out who they're pointing it at before pressing the button, pulling the trigger or whatever.

don't you think?

or would u rather continue to be pedantic about which picture portrays whom? We all know who Blackleaf was talking about.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It doesn't say anything about how or why this happened. Without that information, it isn't appropriate to judge the entire US military. Do the Brits never suffer friendly fire incidents?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
well i am aware that it might be the british media selling it to me this way, but ive never heard a report of a brit accidentally shooting the crap out of an american, whereas i hear regularly of brits killed, injured or scared the crap out of by a rampaging american with orders to shoot everything that moves. (exaggeration)

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Herman, that might have something to do with the fact that the US has over 100 000 troops there as opposed to the much smaller number of British troops. Or, it may be true that the Americans are more likely to shoot than their British counterparts. That's probably the natural outcome of more of their soldiers dying in a month than the UK has lost in the entire war. I don't know. Doing an internet search, I can find 2 or 3 incidents where UK soldiers have been accidentally killed by Americans.

Here is an example of the much better British soldiers accidentally shooting the crap out of eachother. Unfortunately, friendly fire seems to happen in every conflict.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20050205/ai_n9499563
More pain for mother of friendly-fire victim

Independent, The (London), Feb 5, 2005 by Ian Herbert

TROOPER DAVID Clarke would have been 21 next week and few doubt he would have marked the occasion in style. A born showman, he bungee-jumped off Blackpool pier on his last trip out with his family before heading for Iraq. The invasion was five days old when the young tank driver died, at the age of 19. He perished when his 62-ton Challenger II tank was attacked while stationary in a desert ditch just outside Basra, so becoming the first victim of British-on- British "friendly fire" in the conflict.
=

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
thomaska please explain. how do you account for the apparent fact that americans seem to be involved in friendly fire more than other countries? can it be explained by their greater numbers?

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Supply tech with Her Majesty Royal Canadian Armed Forces in the early 80's.

shmuck

Which is all fine and dandy. You should be an expert in all things that are related to the Canadian Military. But you're going to have to produce something a little more convincing than jerking things off of wikipedia to be taken seriously.

Douche.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
thomaska please explain. how do you account for the apparent fact that americans seem to be involved in friendly fire more than other countries? can it be explained by their greater numbers?

Of course it is the bigger numbers. It isn't like the U.S. Military had standing orders to destroy allies' personnel and equipment.

It was an accident, didn't you just post some "forgive and forget" thing in another post here today? Or does that not apply to the "NeoCon Wermacht"?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
OK well for the time being i'll believe i am a victim of the media's attempts to make me believe the US military are trigger happy. Your hypothesis seems valid.

forgive and forget seems easier to apply when the culprits are still alive and well and shouting

red dog

Dec 29, 2004
My bad,they are American....the pic was taken in 1991 during operation desert storm.

My point is Blackleaf only posts this stuff to bolster his country and if it means lieing to make the USA or Canada look bad then away he go's. You should see some of the stuff he posts on other Canadian sites saying how we are dirt here in Canada.

According to him we are backwards and neanderthal like here,I should post some of his Canadians are dirt rants.
Then you would see why he's on this site and a few others reposting the same ****e over and over again.

(end rant)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Trigger happy yanks.

Hey Blackleaf, you missed an article.

A born showman, he bungee-jumped off Blackpool pier on his last trip out with his family before heading for Iraq. The invasion was five days old when the young tank driver died, at the age of 19. He perished when his 62-ton Challenger II tank was attacked while stationary in a desert ditch just outside Basra, so becoming the first victim of British-on- British "friendly fire" in the conflict.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20050205/ai_n9499563

BTW Blackleaf, thank God any Brit I have ever met isn't even remotely obtuse as yourself. :wave:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The Man In the Arena
by Theodore Roosevelt
(From a speech delivered in Paris in 1910)
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
The yanks have always had a fire first ask questions later. Part timers who think they are Tom Cruise are a big part. It took the Taliban along time to kill more Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan than the yanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_fire#History

I am NOT a fan of this war you know that. And in your perspective this is true. BUT We are NOT talking about seasoned Warriors we ARE talking about VERY young people that were given a gun and told SHOOT! I aint sayin its right, I hate that our young ones are being trained to murder, it sickens me. They ARE just young!