China test anti-satelite weapon

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Well, the Chinese are the ones to watch. Iran might get the media's attention most but it is China that will contest the US for global leadership. Reminds you of the eighties and the constant pressure put on the Soviet Union by the Reagan presidency. The pursuit of high tech weaponry can bankrupt any national treasury. Now who's in a position to spend more today?
I hope Ottawa reads articles like this. Canucks are still sending the Chinese foreign aid!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Since the US adopted the Bush Doctrine,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_Doctrine

countries like China face a real threat of an unprovoked American attack. This threat is why China would be prudent to develop the ability not only to defend themselves, but inflict real pain on the US now rather than wait for a crisis.

China has repeatedly stated that it would rather not weaponize space,

http://cns.miis.edu/research/space/china/arms.htm

but the reality is, the US already has an advanced military space program.

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/index.html

Because of the Bush Doctrine and America's advanced military space program, China has no choice but to develop its own military space program for its own security.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, I think the US response is funny. The whole notion that any country attempting to level the playing field is some kind of "attack" or "threat" is insane, as earth-as-one points out, the US has made it CLEAR that nothing will stop them from doing whatever they want, and it has been publically stated that "military control of space" is on the to-do list so having some kind of response to that publically stated ambition seems like prudence as much as anything else

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What could the US possibly gain by attacking China? They are our biggest trading partner and their army is enormous.

But if the Chinese want to start blowing up sattelites then the US has to respond in ways to counter them.

The weaponizing in space has begun and you can thank China.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wonder what the range is on these weapons. Could they be used against asteroids or meteors?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
if u r thinking of avoiding global catastophe a la "global impact", think again. you'd need to go out and deal with it a LOT further away. I doubt they have range much beyond near earth orbit. although range wouldnt be the word, since it wouldnt take much to fire them off on an escape trajectory, but the accuracy would need to be spectacular

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What could the US possibly gain by attacking China? They are our biggest trading partner and their army is enormous.

But if the Chinese want to start blowing up sattelites then the US has to respond in ways to counter them.

The weaponizing in space has begun and you can thank China.

This is good news, I can get a good nights sleep now secure in the knowledge that our heroic Chinese buddies can protect us from the evil empire and thier insane prosecution of TWOT.
Thankyou China.:wave:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wonder what the range is on these weapons. Could they be used against asteroids or meteors?

Accoring to CNN, the missle was a medium-range type, which hit the satellite 537 miles above earth.I don't believe meteors have that low of orbit. Although China does have long range missles, attach a nuke to it and they might be able to blast a asteroid.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This is good news, I can get a good nights sleep now secure in the knowledge that our heroic Chinese buddies can protect us from the evil empire and thier insane prosecution of TWOT.
Thankyou China.:wave:

If you consider the possibility that Canadian Satellites can be damaged by the space debris created by blowing that satellite up, it's not really good news.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Of course we have spy sattelites but as far as having IBM's and the like up there I would say no.

To say that China is the victim here and blame the US for their actions is naieve. Chinese espionage in the US is rampant. They have so many agents here trying to learn every thing they can about our military and industrial capabilities and it isn't just to defend themselves against a US invasion. Chinese spies are getting caught all of the time here in the US.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I guarantee you guys have weapons available to go up there, or already up there. It's the same as "spy satellites" officially, most of them don't exist. maybe other countries have them too

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
The conspiracy theorists favorite tactic against everything. The "prove a negative"..."Prove you don't have weapons in space" etc...etc..

I wouldn't waste the keystrokes if I were you EagleSmack.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i can't prove it. I'm just safer assuming it than not... more likely to be right, that is, obviously not more likely to be safe. We all just have to trust GWB

shame

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yeah, I think the US response is funny. The whole notion that any country attempting to level the playing field is some kind of "attack" or "threat" is insane, as earth-as-one points out, the US has made it CLEAR that nothing will stop them from doing whatever they want, and it has been publically stated that "military control of space" is on the to-do list so having some kind of response to that publically stated ambition seems like prudence as much as anything else

This is encouraging to leftys like me, anything that makes Uncle Sham uncomfortable makes me happy, and the fact that it comes from a CC (communist country) is DPG (double plus good).
This is a positive step in the push by China to democratize, it can do no better in pursuit of that goal than by emulating the self proclaimed GDOTP (greatest democracy on the planet) with respect to the developement and use of the tools of democracy (weapons).And it's funny as hell to listen to the (CPN) capitalist pig nation whine about weapons proliferation as if they wern't involved. And it's funny.:wave:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ah, those inscrutable Asians. Of course they're up to no good. If Bull had developed that big cannon that he was fooling around with in Canada, we'd be up to no good. If Lichtenstein was looking for some plutonium or something to develop nuclear energy, it would be up to no good. If the computers in Switzerland's banks developed a glitch, it would be trying to control the planet's money market or something. Anyway, who's to say China's any more scary than the US?
Personally, I think the Chinese could do our orbital envelope a big favor and get rid of a whole pile of junk up there.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
As you may know, earth's atmosphere burns up a heckuva lotta stuff constantly. rather than having these useless bits orbiting earth, blowing them into smaller bits will either cause them to enter the atmosphere and burn up or else fly outwards into some other orb's gravitational field or not.