jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Iran Claims to Have Test-Fired Missile That Can Destroy Warships

233 MILES PER HOUR UNDERWATER

Sunday , April 02, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran announced its second major new missile test within days, saying Sunday it has successfully fired a high-speed torpedo capable of destroying huge warships and submarines.

The tests came during war games that Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have been holding in the Gulf and the Arabian Sea since Friday at a time of increased tensions with the United States over Tehran's nuclear program.

The Iranian-made torpedo — called the "Hoot," or "whale" — has a speed of 223 miles per hour, said Gen. Ali Fadavi, deputy head of the Revolutionary Guards' Navy.

That would make it about three or four times faster than a normal torpedo and as fast as the world's known fastest, the Russian-made VA-111 Shkval, developed in 1995. It was not immediately known if the Hoot was based on the Shkval.

"It has a very powerful warhead designed to hit big submarines. Even if enemy warship sensors identify the missile, no warship can escape from this missile because of its high speed," Fadavi told state-run television.

It was not immediately clear whether the torpedo can carry a nuclear warhead.

State-run television, which stopped its normal programs to break news of the test, showed a brief clip of the launch from a ship into the waters of the Gulf. Television pictures also showed the torpedo hitting the target, a ship on the surface of the water.

The new weapon could raise concerns over Iran's naval power in the Gulf, where during the war with Iraq in the 1980s Iranian forces attacked oil tankers from Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, prompting a massive U.S. naval operation to protect them. The U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet is based on the tiny Arab island nation of Bahrain in the Gulf.

Cmdr. Jeff Breslau of the 5th Fleet said no special measures were taken by U.S. forces based on Bahrain in reaction to the Iranian war games, even after the latest missile test.

"They can conduct exercises whenever they want and they frequently do, just as we do. We conduct exercises throughout this region," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

He would not comment on whether the new torpedo represents a threat to American forces in the region.

"In general terms, no matter where we operate in the world, we're aware of other capabilities that exist and of other countries that aren't as friendly to the U.S., and we pay attention to those capabilities," he said.

On Friday, the first day of the war games, Iran test-fired the Fajr-3 missile, which can avoid radar and hit several targets simultaneously using multiple warheads. The Guards said the test was successful.

More than 17,000 Revolutionary Guards forces are taking part in the weeklong maneuvers. On Sunday, paratroops practiced a drop in an attack on a mock enemy position, and warships, jet fighters, helicopters and sophisticated electronic equipment were used in other exercises.

Iran, which views the United States as an arch foe and is concerned about the U.S. military presence in neighboring Iraq and Afghanistan, says the maneuvers aim to develop the Guards' defensive capabilities.

Iran has routinely held war games over the past two decades to improve its combat readiness and test locally made equipment such as missiles, tanks and armored personnel carriers.

The missile tests and war games this time around coincide with increasing tension between Iran and the West over Tehran's controversial nuclear program.

The United States and its allies believe Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons, but Tehran denies that, saying its program is for generating electricity.

The U.N. Security Council is demanding that Iran halt its uranium enrichment activities. But an Iranian envoy said its activities are "not reversible."

Iran launched an arms development program during its 1980-88 war with Iraq to compensate for a U.S. weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles and a fighter plane.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wow, they have ONE fighter plane, that should cause the world to shutter in fear. Iran reminds me of a child having a temper tantrum, I wana- I wana, give me-give me.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Actually having one fighter plane isn't the issue.

But that 233 mile per hour missle going through
the Persian Gulf waters ought to be interesting enough.

It's ashame the Western world is dependent upon
cheap oil to sustain its market economy and we've
gotten much out of it for the lives we've led, and perhaps
the fastest underwater missle might help us all
destroy our hateful society. Are we all ready for this?

They want to help us do it.

Is the bogeyman real ?

Is it just a fantasy ?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well it is believed that Iran still has about a dozen F-14's working still and have at least a few Chiness made Mig 19's and perhaps higher grade jets. The big issue is mostly they have the 4th largest army in the world right now with about 2k in tanks which are showing there age but deployed in mass could easyly overwhelm. Just think about it. They could use this new missle and take out a few ships in the persian gulf, and then have two choices. Invade the Shia dominated north of Iraq, and engadge the americans who are spread out and over run them causing many deaths. They could also launch operations to annax Iraqi Kurdishstain or engadge the americans in Afcanistan another place where they are spread out and busy with Taliban insurgents. Either way Iran could cause alot of trouble for the US. While being at war this would also crush the americans with yet another nation either unable to produce enough oil or one hostile to it. Take into consideration Venezuela would most likely not pick up the short fall in oil, this could crush the American economy.

On the other hand Alberta would be richer. lmao... unless they were invaded by oil hungry America. lol.

Don't count Iran out.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
link

Three old subs... lol. At the beginning of hostilities these chugging diesels will become islamic scuba diving reefs.

I am sure that the iranian propaganda will say "Nothing can stop our super missles... even if they know about them... One missle can sink the whole US Navy."

What a bunch of retards.

Those beautiful carriers will sail untouched through any fight with the Iranian Navy. In the 80's after the US Navy and Marines boarded some Iranian oil platforms and destroyed them the Iranians scrambled their hapless navy. Within minutes they were set upon by carrier aircraft and sent immediatly to the bottom. The carriers sank two iranian frigates as soon as they reached open waters and the third was damaged. A fouth frigate turned tail at full speed to the safety of the harbor.

I think you have a little carrier envy DB. Are you trying to make up for the lack of something else? :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Finder said:
Well it is believed that Iran still has about a dozen F-14's working still and have at least a few Chiness made Mig 19's and perhaps higher grade jets. The big issue is mostly they have the 4th largest army in the world right now with about 2k in tanks which are showing there age but deployed in mass could easyly overwhelm. Just think about it. They could use this new missle and take out a few ships in the persian gulf, and then have two choices. Invade the Shia dominated north of Iraq, and engadge the americans who are spread out and over run them causing many deaths. They could also launch operations to annax Iraqi Kurdishstain or engadge the americans in Afcanistan another place where they are spread out and busy with Taliban insurgents. Either way Iran could cause alot of trouble for the US. While being at war this would also crush the americans with yet another nation either unable to produce enough oil or one hostile to it. Take into consideration Venezuela would most likely not pick up the short fall in oil, this could crush the American economy.

On the other hand Alberta would be richer. lmao... unless they were invaded by oil hungry America. lol.

Don't count Iran out.

2K in tanks. That is where our incredible DEPLETED URANIUM tank rounds come into play. 2K tanks become 1K, then 500, then 200 etc. etc. Just ask Iraq. :lol:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Didn't Iraq have the third largest army? :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"blah blah blah blah blah"

That's the most sense you have ever made.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: IRAN'S FASTEST UNDERWATER MISSLE

Jay said:
Didn't Iraq have the third largest army? :p

Yes they did. They had thousands of tanks too. Now many of them sit as trophies at US Army and Marine bases. I actually saw a few of them at Quantico Va.

DEPLETED URANIUM RULES BABY!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Jay said:
"blah blah blah blah blah"

That's the most sense you have ever made.

A product of the enlightenment such as me cannot hope to penetrate the thickness of lime jello flavoured concrete between your ears, that can only be done by god she loves you jay.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
The missile won't do too much after all the ships and aircraft capable of launching it have been made into impromptu coral reefs.

I give their super missile one ship if a US-IRAN naval engagement ever comes, two tops.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think Iran can win

any serious engagement with the U.S. but the Iranians have enough aircraft to inflict a lot of damage. They have fifty or sixty F-4 phantoms, about the same number of F-5s, twenty or thirty F-14s, plus an unknown number of MIG-29s, MIG-31s and SU-?s

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
#juan said:
I don't think Iran can win

any serious engagement with the U.S. but the Iranians have enough aircraft to inflict a lot of damage. They have fifty or sixty F-4 phantoms, about the same number of F-5s, twenty or thirty F-14s, plus an unknown number of MIG-29s, MIG-31s and SU-?s

I would be surprised if any of the Iranian Aircraft would make it off the ground.

Fifty or 60 F-4 Phantoms. OK... those are Vietnam era planes and would not stand a chance. If every one of those planes got off the ground a carrier airwing would make quick work of them. It would be a Navy Pilot's DREAM. It would be like the F-4 Phantom going up against WWII aircraft. The same goes for the F-5.

The F-14's that they have were sold to them by the US before the Ayatollah Khomeni came into power. So that was the late 70's. I doubt many of them are operational if any of them are. If they are working they are 30 years behind the latest F-18's and F-14's.

Iraq had a nice airforce and all Iraq could do was try to get them to Iran so they would not be blown up on the ground. The Allies in Desert Storm had total air superiority from the start.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Doryman said:
The missile won't do too much after all the ships and aircraft capable of launching it have been made into impromptu coral reefs.

I give their super missile one ship if a US-IRAN naval engagement ever comes, two tops.

I think you are given them too much credit. The subs that Iran operate have diesel engines. When it comes to running a diesel underwater you may as well have a marching band on board. Silence and stealth are the two main weapons for sub warfare. These vintage 1960 iranian subs have neither. They would be tracked and followed as soon as they left port by our attack subs. And if the Iranians were planning a premptive strike on a US warship they would have to flood their tubes and with today's sonar that would be picked up. Before the iranians got their torpedo tubes flooded they would have US torpedoes screaming at them. Their missles would be sitting on the bottom of the Gulf along with their subs.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: IRAN'S FASTEST UNDERW

darkbeaver said:
I think they would shut the diesels off before they submerge.

Well then I hope they are in shallow water then! :lol: Because with no engine power it is a quick trip to the bottom.

What do you think makes the props turn silly Beaver!