Thin Skin

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://fp.ignatz.plus.com/thinskin.htm

A hypersensitivity to the word ‘pork’ might easily be dismissed as ludicrously self-regarding. There is, however, a rather more serious side to this cult of affected grievance. At a time when many scholars of Islam - including the German professor “Christoph Luxenberg” - have been forced to write under pseudonyms for fear of attracting death threats, it is worth bearing in mind the fate of Suliman Bashear, a Palestinian scholar at the University of Nablus. Using painfully moderate and scholarly language, Bashear argued that the Qur’an may have evolved over time, rather than being ‘revealed’ as a complete 400-page message from beyond. As a result of this “provocation”, Bashear was promptly thrown out of a second-story window by his “outraged” Muslim students. The message being sent by Bashear’s “punishment” is that even mild-mannered scholars should stay clear of certain topics. However carefully they speak and regardless of their motives, they may still find themselves being defenestrated by those who affect an implausible degree of indignation.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In Canada, if I attempted to kill someone because they somehow insulted my bible, I would expect to end up in a rubber room, and deservedly so. The whole idea of calling for the death of people because of some perceived insult to a damn book is insanity. The idea that a man should be killed because he changed religions is insanity. The promotion of the killing of cartoonists in another country is insanity. More than anything, these people need therapy.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
But instead you'll just have to continue being a troll.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
But now that your a little older, slower and have developed views contrary to extremist Muslims.....I think we may be able to arrange something for you.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I guess I'm waiting for the Muslim apologists to come out and tell me again how the majority of these people are peace and fun loving folks. I'm not holding my breath.....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
These students' reaction was absurd.

(a) Violence is never the answer.

(b) Notwithstanding their reaction, they had no reason to be so offended; this professor appeared to have expressed himself in a way crafted in particular to prevent sensitivities from errupting, and they should have applauded the respect that he had attempted to convey.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suppose it was just a classroom full of extremists....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I can only take it that some people are starting to get the gist of what people on the right have been saying all along; that it isn't Muslim bashing but clear unabashed fear of the known and resolve to do something about it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And what do you propose be done then, Jay?

Succumb to this sort of nonsensical conservative idea that all Muslims are evil, and start some sort of mass deportation, or re-education program? I would like to know exactly what our infinitely enlightened conservative counterparts are planning to do.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't even know why we have to even mention that peace and tolerance are part of islam. They are not tolerant of any religion.

Islam never had a reformation like the other religions. That is why we have what we have today.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Thin Skin

FiveParadox said:
And what do you propose be done then, Jay?

Succumb to this sort of nonsensical conservative idea that all Muslims are evil, and start some sort of mass deportation, or re-education program? I would like to know exactly what our infinitely enlightened conservative counterparts are planning to do.

The first order of the day will be to make our Liberal counterparts admit there is a problem. That is going to be 75% of the battle.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If you do a simple body count of dead primates in the oil bearing regions of the world say since 1991 you can easily see that one of the leading causes of death among moslims
is Christianity. To believe that chritianity is not involved in
the old rape pillage and burn thing again, is incorrect. It's quite well understood in places like Afghanistan that the people in the planes that drop the bombs are christians.Do you believe that they are that backward that they have not made the connection between death and christians. The people of that region have endured the love and
wholesomeness of the baby Jesus for about a thousand years, If your a kid with bad nightmares in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam it's because there's a christian in your closet or under the bed and he's going to eat you, who could sleep with that in the room.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes, there is a problem — with extremists.

However, I refuse to play along with this "creative" idea that a majority of Muslims want non-Muslims dead; I refuse to go along with this idea that a majority of Muslims "extremists-in-hiding." It cannot be proven, nor is it ever going to be, because it simply isn't true. Islamic associations in Canada have denounced terrorism and violence time and time again, and I see no reason why we should assume that these Muslims are lying to us.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Re: RE: Thin Skin

Jay said:
I guess I'm waiting for the Muslim apologists to come out and tell me again how the majority of these people are peace and fun loving folks. I'm not holding my breath.....

You're not trying hard enough Jay ,if you stop breathing for just ten minutes I promise you your moslim problem will be resolved.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Despite her numerous appeals to the contrary (in reference to the former Chief Moderator, our dear Haggis McBagpipe), it appears that our dear membership here at Canadian Content has yet to acknowledge the existence and function of Wreck Beach. If you must engage in such useless discussion, then slap someone with a glove and take them to the beach for some fun. But leave it out of what should be proper discussions and debates.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I have acknowledged it and I have an entire thread dedicated to our resident rodent.

It would be helpful though if you would place those reminders after he posts not after I have. If he is going to troll around, I'm going to mention it.