Argentina "arrests" British ship in Falklands row.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Are the Argies desperate to go to war with Britain again?

Argentina 'arrests' British squid trawler
Oliver Balch in Buenos Aires
(Filed: 26/02/2006)

Argentina has impounded a British trawler in a dramatic escalation of a dispute over squid fishing rights off the Falkland Islands, raising tensions between the two countries.

The high seas "arrest" of the trawler last week follows a low-level "squid war" that has been waged amid allegations of over-fishing and infringements of sovereignty. Argentina claims that the John Cheek was illegally fishing in the Argentine economic exclusion zone last Monday.

The British Embassy in Buenos Aires, however, believes that the trawler, now under Argentine coastguard control at the port of Comodoro Rivadavia, 945 miles south of Buenos Aires, was in neutral international waters.

Mario Domingo Daniele, an Argentine senator, recently branded the British fishing licences that are issued by the Falklands as "illegitimate" and declared the waters "part of what belongs by right to our country".

The Argentine Chamber of Fishing Industries (ACFI) has called for "strong penalties" for the John Cheek.

"We completely reject all fishing undertaken by the colonial British administration in the Malvinas, which contravenes the rights of Argentina over the islands," said Mariano Perez, the director of the ACFI.

Falkland Islanders argue that the real issue at stake is Argentina's renewed desire to threaten the existence of the islands as British territory. Meanwhile environmental groups say that over-fishing of the waters will devastate the squid population. The World Wildlife Fund recently released a satellite photograph taken by the University of Sienna that shows the extraordinary extent of night fishing around the Falklands.

Although several boats from the Far East have previously been detained for squid fishing without a licence, this is the first time that a British vessel has been seized. The 31 crew offered no resistance when the Argentine inspectors boarded the John Cheek. The boat's Spanish skipper, Jaime Cortizo, is still with the vessel in Argentina.

Jan Cheek, the co-owner of the impounded vessel, said that the Argentines themselves encouraged over-fishing in a calculated move by the Argentines to damage one of the Falklands' main sources of income. "The Argentines are quite happy to harm their own stock if it will harm our financial viability. They send their ships out at least a month earlier than we do," she said.

Javier Corcuera, the director of Vida Silvestre, an Argentine environmental group, said the two governments were using squid as a "sovereignty tool" in the tussle over the future of the Falklands.

"Argentina gives lots of permits to fish squid and the Falklands are doing the same because they both want to exert their presence in the region," he said. Emiliano Ezcurra, the campaign director for Greenpeace Argentina, added: "Many ships enter our waters and literally steal Argentine fish."

The John Cheek is also accused of operating with a Falklands flag, which Argentina does not recognise. Harriet Hall, the Falklands' acting governor, rejects this: "We have no doubt over our sovereignty and therefore the vessel has the right to fly the Falklands' ensign."

Argentina invaded the islands in 1982 but was forced out in a conflict that claimed the lives of 272 British servicemen and civilians and 649 Argentines.

Catches of Illex squid, the Falklands' most important fish stock, have plummeted in recent years. Last year, the Falklands registered 1,700 tons of squid, a 15-year low and a startling reduction on the 150,000-ton catch of 2001.

telegraph.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Argentina "arrests" B

why is it it's always britain's ex-friends/turned psuedo fasicts who gang up against us.

you'd think for inspiring their freedom from the spanish they'd give us that little island wouldnt ya.

I blame Adolf Eichmann and that geezer that Jimmy Nail played in Evita.....oh and if they think they can take it, they'll get another very bloody nose

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: Argentina "arrests" British ship in Falklands

argentina should definately consult canada on how to win this one!

rememeber the seizure of the spanish trawler --esti or estai or something like that during the 1993 spanish-canadian turbot war?

we thinks its time we brought out our argentianian flags out here to show our support

we certaining dont appreciate rapacious fishing ( or squiding) practices here in canuck land ( go canda go!)and we dont like to see our fellow americans - in this case south americans having that done to them.

i dont think argentina Today can be considered pseudofascist
at least not anymore than say....many european states... lets say some continental and one of the other variety

ill deal with the "inspiration" comment a little later but first let me unfurl that wonderfull flag.......

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

it's a nice flag, and to be honest my main arguement with Argentina is on the football field, and yes, if say, spain controlled, say the isle of wight I might be a bit annoyed...hang on reverse that and strike it we are doing the same to the spanish lol (Gibralter).

But I wouldnt test the resolve of the british navy though, it's still the second strongest in the world...and we do have nukes lol.

Besides, isnt it a population's right to choose what country they belong to?....and I think u'll find the population are pro-british...unless Argentina wann move them

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: RE: Argentina "arrests" B

Daz_Hockey said:
But I wouldnt test the resolve of the british navy though, it's still the second strongest in the world...and we do have nukes lol.

CANADAs MEASURED RESPONSE

tis all about the squid

but seriously i hope your not SUGGESTING that the uk would nuke Canada should she decide to stand with Argentina on this one

me thinks that could be construed as overkill.. and i dont in the LEAST mind telling you that we dontfor a moment believe THAT would be the WISEST course of action, particulary in view of the plain fact that the repercussions of that SAVAGE beothuk campaign have not yet COMPLETELY blown over

nonetheless
i think its fair to wager that you remain aware of the fact that Canada is still in possesion of those submarines the uk sold her
and thus we the peopola of CANDADA have at our disposal a FORMIDABLE marine arsenal

but what you may NOT be aware of is that we have been astonishingly successfull in determining their proper mode of utilisation -their nuts and bolts FUNCTIONING as it were

in an endeavour to desuade you from undertaking a futile and i dare say potentially perfidious enterprise i dont AT ALL mind sharing with you the following except from the revised Canadian armed forces guide to using those previously enjoyed subs.

so let put on those specs and have look shall we....

CANADIAN ARMED FORCES GUIDE TO USING THOSE CRAPPY
uk SUBS

1) RULE NUMBER 1- WATER IN THE SUB IT IS VERY BAD
2) RULE NUMBER 2- IF HATCHES ARE CLOSED WATER NOT COME TO
SUB
3) RULE NUMBER 3-SO CLOSING HATCH IT IS GOOD

but hang on........

heres the CRITICAL insight

4) RULE NUMBER 4- DA CLOSED HATCHES THEY KEEPA DA NUKIE
STUFF OUT TOO

So you see we DO stand in a state of preparedness. we stand on gaurd on guard for THEE oh Canada!!!!!!!!!!

come on give us yer best SUEZ..oh dear what i MEANT to say was
yer best SHOT

EASTWARD HO!

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005

France is claiming a chunk of Canadian waters as they have a couple of rocks off NFLD. Same with Denmark re Hans island.

Where is Maggie when we need her?

They not the...edited
Theres a beef. Why not 2 minutes allowed to correct typos?
Wheres Haggis? :x

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

zoofer said:
France is claiming a chunk of Canadian waters as they have a couple of rocks off NFLD. Same with Denmark re Hans island.

They not the...edited
Theres a beef. Why not 2 minutes allowed to correct typos?
Wheres Haggis? :x

yes indeed- same with Denmark... same with Denmark indeed
and at the risk of being forward
i must ask you whether your LOYALITY is toward Canada or Denmark- you know that european behemoth whose cheese you say you buy ....and presumably also eat!

you can code your reply if you fear for your safety----the Danes have spies everywhere---
lets just say if you
should casually mention you have suddenly acquired a taste
for candian cheddar- we shall know your answer

when considering your response....and I implore you,,, think carefully very carefully
perhaps you should also consider the consequences of lets say what a less than total loyalty to canada might mean to you and most of all your people..... yes your people

as you are now aware the civilized world is trembling in the awareness of the looming international crisis - argentina togethor
with canada and now iceland preparing for a century defining conflict with the UK and i fear also........................ Denmark -

at the very least we know 2 things

1-as a combined assault force their troops will enjoy their deserts more than their main courses

2- steak, salted fish and cheddar wont quite cut it for us ,the righteous side

yes...

we must dip into our reserve supply of goat
both cheese
but most shockingly meat

despite the fact that no one quite knows how SQUID could have
brought us to the brink
and that we connot for certain know what willl becomes of us
we must take sides

are you with us

please say cheddar

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: Argentina "arrests" British ship in Falklands

I don't think that this "squid" situation is going to precipitate war, nor do I think that Canada would be dragged into any "creative negotiations" that could ensue even if some sort of confrontation were to come from this.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: RE: Argentina "arrests" British ship in Falkla

FiveParadox said:
I don't think that this "squid" situation is going to precipitate war, nor do I think that Canada would be dragged into any "creative negotiations" that could ensue even if some sort of confrontation were to come from this.

you could be right perhaps this wont mean war
and my god i hope your are right
i wish i could however share your optimism
weve gone to war for far less

one possible heartwrenching and somewhat confusing scenario could be that canada goes to war but ALSO sents troops to the same conflict as peacekeepers- we are the best at that apparently-- i have no doubt we would excell in both capacities-
we could take credit for winning the war ---- but also for bringing the conflict to a peacefull solution.

ps- whats really scary is that most people who read this stuff think im being serious-- no joke

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

cortez

Your saying so doesn't make it so. I strongly doubt Canada would support any move by the Argentines to retake the Falklands. Nor would Latvia if push came to shove. The population of the Falklands are strongly pro-British and will be for the forseeable future.

http://www.ability.org.uk/falklands-war.html

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

#juan said:
cortez

Your saying so doesn't make it so. I strongly doubt Canada would support any move by the Argentines to retake the Falklands. Nor would Latvia if push came to shove. The population of the Falklands are strongly pro-British and will be for the forseeable future.

http://www.ability.org.uk/falklands-war.html

the future it not as forseeable as is it used to be
nor are the bonds of empire
what they used to be
i sense them crumbling, fading, dying..the ever downward spiral of slow but inevitable imperial death, of ignominious defeat a dogs death, a poodles death, a savage empire faces the setting sun in a death so complete it is described as an end a pure end of empire --- not even a defeat
i have said let india have her freedom and so it was
i have said let palestine be ripped free from the bloated beast
and so i came to be
i have said let keyna and uganda too break their shackles and most all that isle that good green island of god the land of patrick and brendan and brothers and sisters who somehow survived unspeakable things
i have said more
and so suez too found its goal back to the center sea
and digified china despite the opiums brain rape
has taken back her body to make it whole again
i have said much more
and it all came to be
and what i say shall come to be
but all in gods good time
a god that they once falsely claimed to be

someone is saying it and it is making it so
that someone is not me
who could that someone be

could it be the goat
so far hes been righteously correct about allot stuff

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB

The Upholders are a good sub, they just sat it dry dock for too long. And they sure as hell beat the Oberon's we got right now.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

BREAKING NEWS

New threat to Falklands

By PETE BELL
Sun Online

FEARS are once again growing for the security of the Falkland Islands after a series of confrontations between the RAF and the Argentinean air force.

And Government advisers are demanding Tony Blair warn the Argentinean President Nestor Kirchner to keep his hands off.

Government sources admit to worries that our military commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan are leaving the South Atlantic islands wide open to attack. Argentina has long coveted the 'Malvinas' - as they call the Islands - which British troops seized back after their invasion in 1982.

Argentina has been steadily increasing the size of its air force - it is now twice as big as it was during the 80s conflict - and is reported to have tested RAF defences by repeatedly flying over Falklands' airspace.

The Argentinean navy has also seized a number of Falkland Islanders' boats that strayed into their waters.

According to the newspaper Scotland on Sunday, a Foreign Office source said of recent events: "There have been a number of incidents, and even if they weren't all connected, they might suggest the government in Buenos Aries is feeling a bit bullish.

"No-one is saying they are about to invade, but you have to maintain your position.

"We all remember that, after the original conflict, Britain was accused of giving the junta the impression that their invasion would not be opposed.

"We would, of course, prefer them to get the message, but maybe - sometimes - we just have to underline it ourselves."

thesun.co.uk

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Argentina "arrests" B

Daz_Hockey said:
it's a nice flag, and to be honest my main arguement with Argentina is on the football field, and yes, if say, spain controlled, say the isle of wight I might be a bit annoyed...hang on reverse that and strike it we are doing the same to the spanish lol (Gibralter).
What rubbish. The Isle of Wight is a part of England, so Spain would have no right in controlling it.

But Gibraltar is NOT, and never has been, a part of Spain, and the Spanish GAVE Gibraltar to Britain when they signed the Treaty of Utrecht - so the Spanish are a bit hypocritical in wanting it back. It's not as if we stole it off them.

The other reason why they are hypocrites is because Spain controls a town called Olivenca which they should have handed back to Portugal years ago but refuse to do so, and they also own a couple of rocks off the coast of Morocco.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

and thus we the peopola of CANDADA have at our disposal a FORMIDABLE marine arsenal
Oooh. The Royal Navy must be quaking in fear.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

do you ever really think her maj's canadian royal navy will side against the british royal navy and go along with Argentina if the matter ever arose?

come on.....as much as a lot of canadians hate to admit it, outside of england...not even in Aus or NZ, you will not find a more Anglophile country...they will not go against us, not that would ever happen.

We dont need our nuclear wepons to show Argentina that we mean business, sanctions will be enough. The occupiers have a right to be on those islands, and if they do something to change that, it would be a war crime and would have to be dealt with

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Personnel
Availability
(males age 16-49) 14,607,724 (2005 est.)
Fit for military service
(males age 16-49) 12,046,268 (2005 est.)
Regular personel strength
(non-civilians) 190,000 (October 2004) (Ranked 22nd)
Expenditure
Sterling figure
(FY05/06) £36.25 billion
US Dollar figure
(FY05/06) $65.25 billion
Percent of GDP
(2005) 2.7%

Strength

British Army
Main Battle Tanks 386 Challenger 2
Infantry fighting vehicles 575 Warrior
Armoured Personnel Carriers 4,000+
Artillery 400
Aircraft 290
Personnel (Regular Army) 103,780
Personnel (Territorial Army) 35,000+

Royal Navy
Ballistic Missile Submarines 4
Fleet Submarines 9
Aircraft Carriers 3
Helicopter Carrier 1
Destroyers 8
Frigates 17
Patrol boats 23
Amphibious Assault ships 2
Minesweepers 16
Survey vessels 5
Aircraft 210
Personnel (Regular, including Royal Marines) 36,810
Personnel (Royal Naval Reserve) 3,250
Personnel (Royal Marines Reserve) 600

Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Tankers 9
Resupply ships 2
Tanker/Resupply ships 2
Aviation training ship 1
Repair ship 1
Amphibious Assault ships 5
Strategic lift vessels 6

Royal Air Force
Aircraft 942 (including helicopters)
Personnel 49,280
------------------------

Argentina - irrelevant.

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB

Most of those numbers are pretty pointless. But the big ones are the navies of the two. Most of Britains army is busy in Iraq, plus, the Falklands are a long ways away. So it'll be like last time. Except that this time, both sides will know exactly what they are doing because they just did it 20 years ago.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

yes.....but...and here's the big but:

would a gung-ho US sit on the sidelines again while a country invades an island that is totally populated by foreign nationals.....I dont think they will this time, for the sake of the stability of the allience, the very least they'll do is sit back and allow us to organise a counter srtike.

and honestly......do you really think countries like Canada, Australia, NZ, the US or the EU will do anything less than condemn them?

your in a dreamland if you think they'll back Argentina.....if Argentina tries to re-take the Falklands by force it will be the last thing they ever do

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB

I almost think the US would help the UK. America used up nearly all of it's political capital in that country when it went to war in Iraq. If Bush wanted some easy Brownie points, he'd help.

Plus, I really, really, doubt Argentina would go to war if they knew America was going to get involved. The American navy is the best navy the world, they would utterly annihilate the Argentinian navy.