Why anti-Americanism is as Canadian as maple syrup

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Thisis a bit old, but found it interesting since it was written by someone in BC.

March 31, 2003

There have been two recent, widely-reported examples of anti-Americanism by Canadians of some official stature. According to Francie Ducros, then director of communications for Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, U.S. President George Bush is "a moron." Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish's condemnation was far wider: "Damn Americans. I hate those bastards." These comments are not isolated, but are part of a wider and deeper phenomenon.

Anti-Americanism is a sort of "legitimate prejudice" in a world of increasingly stringent political correctness. "Substitute any other group for 'Americans' in Ms. Parrish's comments – "Damn Palestinians – hate those bastards' or Damn Africans – hate those bastards – and imagine the firestorm" (National Post editorial, Feb. 28, 2003). The U.S. is a wonderful whipping-person – so large, so rich, so many nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, such a powerful set of widely-shared values, and such a successful exporter of popular culture. What's not to "hate" (loathe) if one is an insecure Canadian?

In stark outline, here is my theory of the bases of the wide streak of anti-Americanism among some Canadians. The root cause is those Canadians' appreciation of their weakness, a serious inferiority complex if you will. Feelings of weakness or inadequacy – even if inchoate – generate a sense of insecurity and even of fear. Insecurity and fear, in turn, generate hostility to the country against which Canada is so evidently weak – the United States.

The sources of Canada's weakness are several. First, the U.S. has a population of 287 million to Canada's 31 million. Yet Canada's area is slightly greater than the U.S. More importantly, the real per capita GDP of the U.S. is over 20 per cent above that of Canada. This reality breeds resentment and even loathing by some Canadians.

The weakness of Canada is also partly due to its dependency on the U.S. in economic terms. Canada has long been dependent on the U.S. economy and this dependency has grown under the FTA and then, NAFTA. CanWest News Service (owner of the National Post) (Nov. 28, 2002) put it this way: In 1970, 65 per cent of Canada's exports went to the U.S.; today it is 87 per cent. That amounts to over 40 per cent of our GDP. "We trade more with the Americans than with each other," referring to inter-provincial trade. While Canada is the No. 1 export market for U.S. products and services, the relative dependency is highly asymmetric. We need them far more than they need us.

Second, the U.S. is now the only superpower and this fact alone is threatening to many Canadians. Such power is seen as immoral in itself and so its exercise is also immoral in the eyes of many of the critics of the U.S. Prime Minister Chrétien, for example, believes that the United Nations must play an important role in constraining the power of the U.S. Christie Blatchford (National Post, Feb. 14, 2003) quotes Prime Minister Chrétien in a speech in Chicago on Feb. 13, 2003: "The price of being the world's only superpower is that its motives are sometimes questioned by others. Great strength is not always perceived by others as benign. Not everyone around the world is prepared to take the word of the United States on faith." He clearly implied that Canada was one of those nations.

Being a superpower comes with many burdens and painful decisions. American taxpayers pay a big chunk of their taxes each year to support their military forces. For them, Canada is seen as a carping, free-rider benefiting greatly from the U.S. defence umbrella. Even Canada's role in peacekeeping has shrunken greatly. Jonah Goldberg, writing in the National Review in November, 2002, noted that, "Today, Canada ranks number 37 as a peacekeeping nation in terms of committed troops and resources, and it spends less than half the average of the skinflint defence budgets of NATO."

Since the early 1960s, Canada has systematically chosen to greatly expand social expenditures (health and income transfers including regional development) at the expense of defence and international expenditures. (Canadians should remember that in WWI and WWII, a larger proportion of the population fought and died than was the case in the U.S.) The self-righteousness of much of the elite on the international stage appears to have grown in inverse relationship to the declining relative importance of Canada's defence/international expenditures.

The U.S. is not only powerful economically and militarily, but its people are seen as aggressive, swaggering and self-confident. These characteristics are the antithesis of the Canadians most critical of the U.S.

Americans are also seen as insensitive due largely to having great power, but being inward-looking.

The third source of weakness lies in the easy acceptance/strong desire for U.S.-made products of pop culture by Canadians. For example, U.S.-made shows account for over 70 per cent the TV viewing of English-Canadians; American movies account for over 95 per cent of box office receipts in Canada. The export of U.S. cultural products is seen by Canadian cultural nationalists as a form of "cultural imperialism."

Why do they feel so threatened? They apparently believe that the importation of U.S. popular cultural products will lead eventually to the demise of Canada as an independent nation. According to Canadian playwright, director, and actor Mavor Moore (1997, p. 128), "Modern Americans have made a masterful discovery...a secret weapon enlisted in the Star Wars dialogue: popular culture. Camouflaging its armies as entertainers, America has conquered the world....What American leaders have grasped....is that politics, commerce and war are no longer the most effective methods of gaining or establishing power – and indeed often prove counterproductive."

There is an important element of elitism mixed into the nationalism. To a considerable extent, such elitism reflects Canada's colonial past (based on both the British and French heritage). The elites believe that they have both the right and duty to use the power of the state to guide the "masses" into the light. They implicitly believe that they have the patent on the definition of what Canada ought to be.

Fourth, the feelings of inferiority and insecurity that prompt expressions of anti-Americanism stem in part from a terribly weak sense of national identity among English Canadians. (Quebecers have a much stronger sense of who they are, in large degree based on hostility to the rest of Canada.) Since major changes in immigration policy in the 1960s, anglo identity has been strongly challenged by a long, large wave of non-European immigrants such that over the past six years over one-half of all immigrants to Canada came from Asia. Trudeau's policy of multi-culturalism within official bilingualism (announced in 1971) greatly strengthened the rise of the French fact in Canadian politics. It is possible, that the interaction of the two policies has channelled the frustration of anglos away from domestic targets (because any criticism will be denounced as racism), and onto the United States in a weird form of psychological displacement.

Finally, there seems to be the idea that the poor and weak, by definition, have morality on their side since they do not appear to benefit directly from the stance they take. Deputy Prime Minister John Manley put it this way: "I think it is a sign of our insecurity, that sometimes we feel that we have a moral conviction that we are somehow or another superior [to the U.S.]" (National Post, Dec. 4, 2002). The weak gain a perverse satisfaction from verbal barbs directed at the strong. The strong are inhibited from administering a physical or economic response. The weak see these barbs as "free" – they will not result in retaliation.

In summary terms, Canadians who are strongly anti-American appear to be a) fearful about the influence of the U.S. on Canada, b) insecure as to their own identity –­ they need reassurance from a variety government-created symbols (such as the CBC), and c) these Canadians are more than a little envious of our rich, powerful, southern neighbour. Contemplation of the American elephant – sadly – brings out the dark side of the character of the Canadian mouse – envy. It is a sort of national penis (genital?) envy wrapped in a blanket of moral superiority that is the natural refuge of the woefully insecure and the truly weak. There are lots of good reasons to criticize various policies of the U.S. government, but surely reflexive anti-Americanism is unworthy of what Canadians want to be.

W.T. Stanbury is professor emeritus at the University of British Columbia.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
THe thread should read Why Anti Canadianism is American as apple Pie ITN thats all I hear from your country is critism we don't do this and that .Don't think its just us try taking a look in the mirror :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Why anti-Americanism

Tht's just plain old Anti-canadian! sheesh!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
mrmom2 said:
THe thread should read Why Anti Canadianism is American as apple Pie ITN thats all I hear from your country is critism we don't do this and that .Don't think its just us try taking a look in the mirror :wink:

Sorry there mrmom, I can't agree with you. Anti-Canadianism exists amongst neo-cons by following their supreme leaders mentailty. Anti-Americanism in Canada is spoon fed from school across the board. Its a national obsession second only to hockey.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Sorry dude but nobody taught me that in school Haven't seen it in any of my kids classes either :? I don't know where you get that from university maybe but not grade school :wink:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
mrmom2 said:
Sorry dude but nobody taught me that in school Haven't seen it in any of my kids classes either :? I don't know where you get that from university maybe but not grade school :wink:

You're just going to have to wait for 2 years to see it I'm afraid.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
mrmom2 said:

I"ve seen it in university at bit, but never in college or high school. I'm not consumed with hatred for Americans or your president, but some Canadians probably devot a lot of time to the practice. They're the people who probably think all Americans are Jerry Springer watching meth addicts anyway - don't fret ITN, no one listens to them. *shrug*

LeftCoast

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Vancouver
I think Anti-Americanism ebbs and flows in Canada as it does in other countries. When the US is acting multilaterally and living up to its status as a super power and progressive world leader there is damn little anti-Americanism in Canada or for that matter in other western countries. When the US is acting unilaterally and selfishly, anti-Americanism flourishes.

This is not however unique to Canada or reflective or Canadian insecurity. You will see the same sentiments in Europe.

What has the United States done in the last 5 years to build good will with Canada and its other allies?

The US has clearly communicated that while they expect other nations (such as Iraq) to abide by the resolutions of the United Nations and to respect internaional law, the United States will not be bound by these inconveniences (such as the International Criminal Court).

The duplicity here is astounding. To hear US official lecture Iran, North Korea, Iraq (prior to the war) on their failures to comply with the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and (in the case of Iraq) UN Security Council resolutions and then instage an invasion and occupation that is strictly illegal under international law is the height of hypocracy.

The US lectures ad nausium about the human rights abuses of Iraq, Iran, China, North Korea, etc. while committing grevious human rights violations in prisons in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay.

The US coerces and lectures other countries to open their markets, while simultaneously illegally protecting their own steel industry, agriculture, lumber, pork, aerospace etc. The Bryd Ammendment in particular is causing considerable bad will in Europe, Mexico and Canada.

There are international treaties, agreements and protocols such as the International Criminal Court, the Kyoto Treaty, the Anti Landmine Treaty, the Anti Balistic Missile Treaty etc. that are very important to Canada and many nations in Europe but the US refuses to participate in these while they are in many cases the worst offender.

International relationships require bilateral and multilateral cooperation and understanding. In the last 5 years, the US has unilaterally gone its own way. So they should expect everyone to love them?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Thats all well and good leftcoast, but anti-Americanism trancends Washington politics, especially in Canada, its part of being who you are as Canadians.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
Thats all well and good leftcoast, but anti-Americanism trancends Washington politics, especially in Canada, its part of being who you are as Canadians.

Are you serious? You are tell us what is a part of our mentality?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
What hapening in 2 years what grade should I watch for so I can tell my kids the truth .I like telling them the goverment is wrong :wink:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Said1 said:
I think not said:

Why not Said1, Canadians have no problem expressing they know more about us than we know ourselves. And besides, I have statistics to back it up.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
Said1 said:
I think not said:

Why not Said1, Canadians have no problem expressing they know more about us than we know ourselves. And besides, I have statistics to back it up.

Because you can't make generalized statements like that, that's why. Many Americans have no problem acting as if they know everything about Canadians and how they think, but not all are like that (present company not included). Notice how I didn't say ALL, and anti-Canadianism it's part of who YOU are??

I also don't care what stats you've seen since they probably don't say 100% of Canadians hate Americans because it's part of their psycological make up resulting from years of subtle propaganda perpetrated by educators and the media. And please don't refer to that bogus survey taken in Quebec, if I have to hear about that one more time, I think I might actually barff.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Said1 said:
Because you can't make generalized statements like that, that's why. Many Americans have no problem acting as if they know everything about Canadians and how they think, but not all are like that (present company not included). Notice how I didn't say ALL, and anti-Canadianism it's part of who YOU are??

Of course it isn't ALL Canadians, that would be a silly things to say. Our estimates place it at 70% of the population.

Said1 said:
I also don't care what stats you've seen since they probably don't say 100% of Canadians hate Americans because it's part of their psycological make up resulting from years of subtle propaganda perpetrated by educators and the media. And please don't refer to that bogus survey taken in Quebec, if I have to hear about that one more time, I think I might actually barff.

There has been a statistic done in all provinces and territories and I didn't read it anywhere. We hired a Canadian based firm and paid them heavily for the information. You and those around you may not be anti-American but it exists. I see it everyday in all aspects of Canadian society. Sorry but its true.