Thatcher makes appeal to Tories

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Margaret Thatcher has urged the Conservatives to return to first principles and "get on with it" as they try to rebuild after the election.
The former prime minister's appeal was read out on her behalf as she attended a dinner in London to mark 30 years since she was elected as Tory leader.

Baroness Thatcher is under doctors' orders not to speak publicly.

It comes as Tory MPs prepare to discuss eight ways of choosing a new leader to replace Michael Howard later this year.

Backbench meeting

The short message is Lady Thatcher's only intervention so far in the fledgling Tory leadership contest.

She received a standing ovation at Tuesday's dinner, organised by Conservative Way Forward at London's Dorchester Hotel.

Many of the probable contenders for the leadership were at the dinner.

Conservative MPs will on Wednesday be asked to vote on eight options for a new system of choosing a leader, at a meeting of the backbench 1922 Committee.

One member of the committee's executive said the vote was designed simply to get a feel for which method MPs preferred.

The options include the status quo, where MPs narrow the choice of leader to two and grass roots members have the final say.

Other options include:

A traditional election by MPs after formal consultation of party members - this is the option understood to be preferred by the 1922 executive

The plan proposed by Tory chairman Francis Maude where candidates with 50% of MPs' votes win automatically - otherwise local Tory chairmen show their preferences before final ballots of MPs.

A system where only candidates with a high share of MPs votes go forward to an election by grass roots members. --BBC News

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Thatcher makes appeal

Isn't old Iron Crotch dead yet? Man, she's like a vampire...she just keeps coming back and trying to do evil.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Nope.

Not so, Luke.

Blair has done what you pine for in all your politicians.

Thatcher has the quality missing in so many politicians.

We want our leaders to represent us and what do we get?
Scared politicians. Gutless politicians. Worms. Guided by the poll du jour and when we get one that decides to lead rather than represent, we cry foul.

You want a representative? You want them to represent who we voters are?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Thatcher makes appeal

The rumour is that Maggie was a very skilled dominatrix. It's now she worked her way through school as a young girl.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Thatcher makes appeal

Reverend Blair said:
Isn't old Iron Crotch dead yet? Man, she's like a vampire...she just keeps coming back and trying to do evil.

It's "evil" Thatcher than has given Britain probably the best-run economy in the world, and the best-performing economy in Europe.

If Continental Europe doesn't embrace Thatcherite economics soon it will slowly die.

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
Re: RE: Thatcher makes appeal

Blackleaf said:
Reverend Blair said:

It's "evil" Thatcher than has given Britain probably the best-run economy in the world, and the best-performing economy in Europe.

If Continental Europe doesn't embrace Thatcherite economics soon it will slowly die.

Yeh, I know. I've also been hearing for year that Ray-gun gave the US a great economy--my minimum wage then was frozen for years at $3.35/hr. My the Lord protect us from "good economies".