Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US state

Icarus27k
Democrat
The first time they've approved it. The United States of America could have 51 states in the coming years.

Puerto Rican status referendum, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
I was wondering how that'd go. Probably a good move on their part.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

I was wondering how that'd go. Probably a good move on their part.

Puerto Rico becoming a state is not a good idea. It would end up increasing the power of the Democratic Party in America. That makes Puerto Rican statehood a nonstarter. It would be better for Puerto Rico to become independent.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Puerto Rico becoming a state is not a good idea. It would end up increasing the power of the Democratic Party in America. That makes Puerto Rican statehood a nonstarter. It would be better for Puerto Rico to become independent.

Strengthening the Democrats seems like a pretty childish reason to be against it. Though I suppose its likely the congress will turn them down for similar reasons.

Liberalman
+1
Puerto Rico will enjoy the same benefits as Mexicans and the Indians which is third class Americans.

B00Mer
Republican
+1
Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US state

Amid all the hoopla, you might have missed it: in a referendum on Tuesday, Puerto Rico voted in favor of US statehood, in a move that might entail some dramatic changes in elementary school geography books.

In a two-part referendum, about 53.9 percent voted against the current status quo in the first question on the referendum, according to Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia. In the second question, 65 percent said that they favored full statehood, while 31 percent voted for sovereign free association, and four percent opted for full independence, reported the Associated Press.

It's not yet clear if Puerto Rico will actually become a state. The US Congress would have to approve such a decision — although President Obama has said that he would respect a popular vote on the matter, according to the BBC.

And it would be a big decision, including new voting additions to the House of Representatives, and a struggle to figure out how to integrate Puerto Rico's majority Spanish-speaking population with the largely English-speaking continental US.

The tropical territory of 4 million was first made a US territory in 1898 after the end of the Spanish-American war. Puerto Ricans were granted citizenship in 1917 — but not the right to vote in US elections.

What would Puerto Ricans gain from statehood? According to the US Council for Puerto Rico Statehood, Puerto Ricans would become full citizens with constitutionally guaranteed rights, and would become more fully integrated with the US economy.

That might spell good news for the commonwealth, which currently suffers from high unemployment and an economy hit hard by the international recession, according to the Los Angeles Times.

In return, the US federal government would gain income tax funds from Puerto Ricans, from which they are currently exempt.

Puerto Ricans, while US citizens, cannot vote for the US President (unless they are living in the United States), and can only send one, non-voting leader to the US House of Representatives.

In 2010, the House approved a house bill that created the two-part referendum system used on Tuesday, reported the Washington Post.

Read more from GlobalPost: Luring Puerto Rican addicts to the Bronx

Puerto Ricans have voted on possible statehood three times before: in 1967, 1993, and 1998, according to the CIA World Fact Book. On each occasion, voters decided that they'd rather remain a territory. But this time around was different.

Why is that? The demographics have certainly changed, for one thing; in 2009, Pew Hispanic Center statistics showed that more Puerto Ricans lived in the US than lived on the island itself.

source: Puerto Rico votes to become 51st state | GlobalPost

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow.. we could be the 52nd state. lol

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+4
Following the OP and ignoring the last sentance, I wonder what will happen
to the American Flag with 51 states?

?????

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+3
If Puerto Rico with its 4.2 million population becomes a state, this means 6 or 7 more electoral votes for the Democrats, plus 2 senators, and at least one rep.

BaalsTears
Puerto Rico isn't going to be admitted to the United States. It would upset the existing balance of power. Puerto Ricans would seek independence if they had any self-respect for their identity.

The Old Medic
Conservative
+1 / -1
Puerto Rico will be admitted to the Union within two years.

BaalsTears
+1
Screw Puerto Rico. American doesn't need more people looking for a handout.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+4 / -1

Economy of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously, a quick Google before you start talking can save embarassment.

B00Mer
Republican
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Puerto Rico will be admitted to the Union within two years.

nah, just before the next election.. for another Democrat win, timing is everything, sorta like the dream act.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

nah, just before the next election.. for another Democrat win, timing is everything, sorta like the dream act.

If that's your theory, why are you arguing with him? Two years is when the next election starts winding up.

B00Mer
Republican
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

If that's your theory, why are you arguing with him? Two years is when the next election starts winding up.

The dream act was passed less than a year before this election.. it's sorta a carrot in front of the donkey for the 11 million Latin voters. Porto Rico is Democrat and Latin.. the demographics of the USA is changing before our eyes..

Wasn't arguing, just making a point, that Obama does things in ways that suggest he is buying the vote. It's really sad, but very evident.

The problem is, Republicans are scared of the changes, it takes away from their idea of the perfect 50's family..

White suburbia.

But Latin culture is what makes Miami such a great place to visit, the culture, the music, the food.. The USA in total really..

don omar - YouTube

Mowich
Conservative
+1

Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow.. we could be the 52nd state. lol

Some people...........they just can't help being themselves.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

If Puerto Rico with its 4.2 million population becomes a state, this means 6 or 7 more electoral votes for the Democrats, plus 2 senators, and at least one rep.

That's it gopher.........think positive though I wouldn't start counting the votes yet. From what I just read about the PR economy, I can't see them getting admitted anytime soon - the US government has much bigger fish to fry right now, like just keeping the lights on at home.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

That's it gopher.........think positive though I wouldn't start counting the votes yet. From what I just read about the PR economy, I can't see them getting admitted anytime soon - the US government has much bigger fish to fry right now, like just keeping the lights on at home.

The only difference would be their right to vote. They receive money from the federal gov. already as they are already a part of the US, just not a 'state'

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

...and some people can't see the sarcasm in a statement. WTF!! Dumbarse

Mowich
Conservative

The only difference would be their right to vote. They receive money from the federal gov. already as they are already a part of the US, just not a 'state'

[/FONT][/FONT]

Understood.

...and some people can't see the sarcasm in a statement. WTF!! Dumbarse

You are absolutely right, Boomer...........I have always been much better at hearing sarcasm then at reading it.

BaalsTears
Are Puerto Ricans well educated and highly skilled? How will the admission of a bunch of Puerto Ricans to the Union help the US? Puerto Rico should be an independent country.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+5 / -1
#21  Top Rated Post

Are Puerto Ricans well educated and highly skilled? How will the admission of a bunch of Puerto Ricans to the Union help the US? Puerto Rico should be an independent country.

Did you even read the links?

Peurto Rico is already United States territory, and Peurto Ricans have been US citizens since 1917. Say what you will, none of this is new, their financial and legal ties to the US have existed longer than you've been alive, and they've voted to simply make it official.

gopher
No Party Affiliation

That would mean ending corporations who take bigger handouts than anyone else.

[/FONT][/FONT]

they do get $$$ from the USA which had many companies there who made big profits and did not pay taxes

but the jobs have been sent to China and India as with other states/cities

Puerto Rico isn't going to be admitted to the United States. It would upset the existing balance of power. Puerto Ricans would seek independence if they had any self-respect for their identity.

Hawaii was admitted in 1959 - nobody said anything about identity back then. Same with PR.

BaalsTears
+2 / -1
Puerto Ricans are Democrats. Admission of Puerto Rico into the American Union would give Democrats permanent power in Congress. Why would Republicans agree to such an arrangement when the arrangement has the effect of diesmpowering conservatives?

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

That would mean ending corporations who take bigger handouts than anyone else.

they do get $$$ from the USA which had many companies there who made big profits and did not pay taxes

but the jobs have been sent to China and India as with other states/cities

Hawaii was admitted in 1959 - nobody said anything about identity back then. Same with PR.

Hawaii and Puerto Rico should both be independent nations because they ard democrats for the most part. Get them out. Get rid of leftists.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1

Puerto Ricans are Democrats. Admission of Puerto Rico into the American Union would give Democrats permanent power in Congress. Why would Republicans agree to such an arrangement when the arrangement has the effect of diesmpowering conservatives?

Nothing in politics is permanent. Power has alternated between the two major powers for decades. Some states change their minds, same would be true with PR. The two major parties wont exist forever nor will their platforms exist forever. They traded places with each other ideologically once so far.

Republicans and Democrats are not the entire US population. A huge chunk of it does not identify with either party.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1

Hawaii and Puerto Rico should both be independent nations because they ard democrats for the most part. Get them out. Get rid of leftists.

That's not how democracy works.

Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Nothing in politics is permanent. Power has alternated between the two major powers for decades. Some states change their minds, same would be true with PR. The two major parties wont exist forever nor will their platforms exist forever. They traded places with each other ideologically once so far.

Republicans and Democrats are not the entire US population. A huge chunk of it does not identify with either party.

ANd the R and D parties now aren't the same as the R and D parties of the past. Just look at this election fallout, it is largely because the Republican party has changed, and now they have to look at changing back, being more like the Dems.

Just the Facts
Free Thinker
+1

The dream act was passed less than a year before this election.. it's sorta a carrot in front of the donkey for the 11 million Latin voters. Porto Rico is Democrat and Latin.. the demographics of the USA is changing before our eyes..

Minor point but I don't think it was ever passed. Obama implemented similar provisions by executive order before the election. Cause he's a constitutional lawyer, doncha know, and he don't need no stinking congress!!

BaalsTears

That's not how democracy works.

ANd the R and D parties now aren't the same as the R and D parties of the past. Just look at this election fallout, it is largely because the Republican party has changed, and now they have to look at changing back, being more like the Dems.

Karrie, one's political philosophy isn't something one changes. Change takes decades in order to be internalized. If I wanted to be a leftist I would do so. I don't want to be a leftist. Surely you must understand that.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+2

Karrie, one's political philosophy isn't something one changes. Change takes decades in order to be internalized. If I wanted to be a leftist I would do so. I don't want to be a leftist. Surely you must understand that.

I understand that you don't want to be a leftist. Notice I've never criticized you for not being. I've never said you shouldn't have a voice. Never said you're wrong. Never said you should be punted from your country because you don't fit in. Democracy doesn't work if everyone has to clone up. Every last person has different priorities, and are entitled to advocate those priorities. And yeah, the nation might hit ona point where there are more people with different priorities than you, that doesn't make them enemies you need to kick out.

BaalsTears
+1

I understand that you don't want to be a leftist. Notice I've never criticized you for not being. I've never said you shouldn't have a voice. Never said you're wrong. Never said you should be punted from your country because you don't fit in. Democracy doesn't work if everyone has to clone up. Every last person has different priorities, and are entitled to advocate those priorities. And yeah, the nation might hit ona point where there are more people with different priorities than you, that doesn't make them enemies you need to kick out.

I know you're nice. But nice has no place in American political culture. America is not Canada. Here we want each other dead in a figurative ideological sense.

I feel the same way I suspect the First Peoples felt when their world was brought to an end by white europeans. Do I resist or acquiesce? I resist in lawful ways...the examples of Crazy Horse and Tecumseh come to mind.