Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US state

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Re: Puerto Rico votes to become a U.S. state

I was wondering how that'd go. Probably a good move on their part.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

I was wondering how that'd go. Probably a good move on their part.
Puerto Rico becoming a state is not a good idea. It would end up increasing the power of the Democratic Party in America. That makes Puerto Rican statehood a nonstarter. It would be better for Puerto Rico to become independent.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Puerto Rico becoming a state is not a good idea. It would end up increasing the power of the Democratic Party in America. That makes Puerto Rican statehood a nonstarter. It would be better for Puerto Rico to become independent.

Strengthening the Democrats seems like a pretty childish reason to be against it. Though I suppose its likely the congress will turn them down for similar reasons.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Puerto Rico will enjoy the same benefits as Mexicans and the Indians which is third class Americans.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US state

Amid all the hoopla, you might have missed it: in a referendum on Tuesday, Puerto Rico voted in favor of US statehood, in a move that might entail some dramatic changes in elementary school geography books.

In a two-part referendum, about 53.9 percent voted against the current status quo in the first question on the referendum, according to Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia. In the second question, 65 percent said that they favored full statehood, while 31 percent voted for sovereign free association, and four percent opted for full independence, reported the Associated Press.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...fQvxtA?docId=cc709e332ffc48e9b753c4a15da77bc9
It's not yet clear if Puerto Rico will actually become a state. The US Congress would have to approve such a decision — although President Obama has said that he would respect a popular vote on the matter, according to the BBC.

And it would be a big decision, including new voting additions to the House of Representatives, and a struggle to figure out how to integrate Puerto Rico's majority Spanish-speaking population with the largely English-speaking continental US.

The tropical territory of 4 million was first made a US territory in 1898 after the end of the Spanish-American war. Puerto Ricans were granted citizenship in 1917 — but not the right to vote in US elections.

What would Puerto Ricans gain from statehood? According to the US Council for Puerto Rico Statehood, Puerto Ricans would become full citizens with constitutionally guaranteed rights, and would become more fully integrated with the US economy.

That might spell good news for the commonwealth, which currently suffers from high unemployment and an economy hit hard by the international recession, according to the Los Angeles Times.

In return, the US federal government would gain income tax funds from Puerto Ricans, from which they are currently exempt.

Puerto Ricans, while US citizens, cannot vote for the US President (unless they are living in the United States), and can only send one, non-voting leader to the US House of Representatives.

In 2010, the House approved a house bill that created the two-part referendum system used on Tuesday, reported the Washington Post.

Read more from GlobalPost: Luring Puerto Rican addicts to the Bronx

Puerto Ricans have voted on possible statehood three times before: in 1967, 1993, and 1998, according to the CIA World Fact Book. On each occasion, voters decided that they'd rather remain a territory. But this time around was different.

Why is that? The demographics have certainly changed, for one thing; in 2009, Pew Hispanic Center statistics showed that more Puerto Ricans lived in the US than lived on the island itself.

source: Puerto Rico votes to become 51st state | GlobalPost

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow..
we could be the 52nd state. lol

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
If Puerto Rico with its 4.2 million population becomes a state, this means 6 or 7 more electoral votes for the Democrats, plus 2 senators, and at least one rep.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Puerto Rico isn't going to be admitted to the United States. It would upset the existing balance of power. Puerto Ricans would seek independence if they had any self-respect for their identity.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
nah, just before the next election.. for another Democrat win, timing is everything, sorta like the dream act.

If that's your theory, why are you arguing with him? Two years is when the next election starts winding up.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
If that's your theory, why are you arguing with him? Two years is when the next election starts winding up.

The dream act was passed less than a year before this election.. it's sorta a carrot in front of the donkey for the 11 million Latin voters. Porto Rico is Democrat and Latin.. the demographics of the USA is changing before our eyes..

Wasn't arguing, just making a point, that Obama does things in ways that suggest he is buying the vote. It's really sad, but very evident.

The problem is, Republicans are scared of the changes, it takes away from their idea of the perfect 50's family..

White suburbia.

But Latin culture is what makes Miami such a great place to visit, the culture, the music, the food.. The USA in total really..

[youtube]7zp1TbLFPp8[/youtube]

don omar - YouTube

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow..
we could be the 52nd state. lol

Some people...........they just can't help being themselves. :roll:

If Puerto Rico with its 4.2 million population becomes a state, this means 6 or 7 more electoral votes for the Democrats, plus 2 senators, and at least one rep.

That's it gopher.........think positive though I wouldn't start counting the votes yet. From what I just read about the PR economy, I can't see them getting admitted anytime soon - the US government has much bigger fish to fry right now, like just keeping the lights on at home.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Some people...........they just can't help being themselves. :roll:

That's it gopher.........think positive though I wouldn't start counting the votes yet. From what I just read about the PR economy, I can't see them getting admitted anytime soon - the US government has much bigger fish to fry right now, like just keeping the lights on at home.

The only difference would be their right to vote. They receive money from the federal gov. already as they are already a part of the US, just not a 'state'

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The only difference would be their right to vote. They receive money from the federal gov. already as they are already a part of the US, just not a 'state'

[/FONT][/FONT]

Understood. :smile:

...and some people can't see the sarcasm in a statement. WTF!! Dumbarse

You are absolutely right, Boomer...........I have always been much better at hearing sarcasm then at reading it.