Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US state

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Nothing in politics is permanent. Power has alternated between the two major powers for decades. Some states change their minds, same would be true with PR. The two major parties wont exist forever nor will their platforms exist forever. They traded places with each other ideologically once so far.

Republicans and Democrats are not the entire US population. A huge chunk of it does not identify with either party.

Until 1972, Texas was a Democrat stronghold. Maybe we should get rid of them too to avoid return to such.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
What makes you value your politics over your country? Especially when your politics haven't 'lost'? The Republicans are still in government.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

What makes you value your politics over your country? Especially when your politics haven't 'lost'? The Republicans are still in government.

Multiculturalism and the destruction of the common American identity. Screw Uncle Sam, it's dead to me.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Multiculturalism and the destruction of the common American identity. Screw Uncle Sam, it's dead to me.

The existence of a common American identity was a media myth. The United States of America was always made up of a wide variety of cultures and viewpoints. What you're seeing is the result of the education, communication, and participation, of those other viewpoints that were always there.

B00Mer
Republican
+1

You live in California.. really. You're the minority in that state already..

What is the American identity, rich, white, English?? What is it??

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Until 1972, Texas was a Democrat stronghold. Maybe we should get rid of them too to avoid return to such.

Indeed. They might have lost it sooner if not for Lyndon Johnson. I believe that was one of the main reasons JFK picked Johnson as a running mate.

If thats the way you feel then you've already lost. The racial demographics of the US, particularly in the southwest is changing fast. I believe this is the first time a President was able to win an election without the majority of white votes. Interesting.

As has been said Puerto Ricans are already American citizens. Quite a few of them are already living in the continental US. You're stuck with them and their descendants either way.

Hawaii and Puerto Rico should both be independent nations because they ard democrats for the most part. Get them out. Get rid of leftists.

Ah, so you do want the whole Red states and Blue states rather than United States. That didnt work out the last time that was tried.

Next thing you know you'll be getting nostalgic about McCarthyism.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Amid all the hoopla, you might have missed it: in a referendum on Tuesday, Puerto Rico voted in favor of US statehood, in a move that might entail some dramatic changes in elementary school geography books.

Can they afford to adopt another kid?

BaalsTears

Nothing in politics is permanent. Power has alternated between the two major powers for decades. Some states change their minds, same would be true with PR. The two major parties wont exist forever nor will their platforms exist forever. They traded places with each other ideologically once so far.

Republicans and Democrats are not the entire US population. A huge chunk of it does not identify with either party.

Some things are permanent. Take the situation of the Copts of Egypt as an example. Time for Uncle Sam to go to a hospice.

Indeed. They might have lost it sooner if not for Lyndon Johnson. I believe that was one of the main reasons JFK picked Johnson as a running mate.

If thats the way you feel then you've already lost. The racial demographics of the US, particularly in the southwest is changing fast. I believe this is the first time a President was able to win an election without the majority of white votes. Interesting.

As has been said Puerto Ricans are already American citizens. Quite a few of them are already living in the continental US. You're stuck with them and their descendants either way.

Ah, so you do want the whole Red states and Blue states rather than United States. That didnt work out the last time that was tried.

Next thing you know you'll be getting nostalgic about McCarthyism.

I'm not talking about secession. I'm talking about poltical collapse of the entire regime.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

The existence of a common American identity was a media myth. The United States of America was always made up of a wide variety of cultures and viewpoints. What you're seeing is the result of the education, communication, and participation, of those other viewpoints that were always there.

That's not true. Before the immigration act of 1965 the country was 90% pan-european white. There was a common identity and shared consciousness.

You live in California.. really. You're the minority in that state already..

What is the American identity, rich, white, English?? What is it??

Assimilation would have provided a unifying principle. Multiculturalism is centrifugal in nature.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow.. we could be the 52nd state. lol

Can't think of a single reason why we would want to. SHakey economy, over valued dollar. wacky politics.

That's not true. Before the immigration act of 1965 the country was 90% pan-european white. There was a common identity and shared consciousness.

Assimilation would have provided a unifying principle. Multiculturalism is centrifugal in nature.

That would have been after they murdered the original inhabitants. Which is about all the european invaders had in common.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
I'm wondering if we couldn't make a deal with Obama, we'll give him Quebec in exchange for Puerto Rico.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'm wondering if we couldn't make a deal with Obama, we'll give him Quebec in exchange for Puerto Rico.

Why do you hate America?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Why do you hate America?

Yeah, me bad, my brother lives in Quebec, just west of Montreal.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1

Nah, let's have both as states.

-----------------------------------

Angry white guys compel Latinos to vote Democrat:

GOP's Latino Jam: 'Angry White Guys' - Amnesty offer could split GOP in two: Patrik Jonsson

Republicans have a serious Latino-voter problem, and fixing it could spark a painful public debate that wrenches the party in two, writes Patrik Jonsson at the Christian Science Monitor. Latinos played a big role in reelecting President Obama, comprising 10% of voters and backing him by 71%. But if the Republicans embrace that bloc by granting amnesty to more than 10 million illegal immigrants, then middle-class, conservative whites are going to freak, Jonsson writes. The move would contradict decades of anti-immigration policy and fly in the face of working-class anger over perceived "handouts" to illegal immigrants. Nonetheless, conservatives like Sean Hannity and Charles Krauthammer are testing the waters by supporting the notion of amnesty with a secured border. For now, Latinos remain suspicious of the GOP's attitudes, writes Jonsson—especially after conservative legislatures in the south and west waged such vocal battles against illegal immigrants.

hunboldt
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Nah, let's have both as states.

-----------------------------------

Angry white guys compel Latinos to vote Democrat:

GOP's Latino Jam: 'Angry White Guys' - Amnesty offer could split GOP in two: Patrik Jonsson

Republicans have a serious Latino-voter problem, and fixing it could spark a painful public debate that wrenches the party in two, writes Patrik Jonsson at the Christian Science Monitor. Latinos played a big role in reelecting President Obama, comprising 10% of voters and backing him by 71%. But if the Republicans embrace that bloc by granting amnesty to more than 10 million illegal immigrants, then middle-class, conservative whites are going to freak, Jonsson writes. The move would contradict decades of anti-immigration policy and fly in the face of working-class anger over perceived "handouts" to illegal immigrants. Nonetheless, conservatives like Sean Hannity and Charles Krauthammer are testing the waters by supporting the notion of amnesty with a secured border. For now, Latinos remain suspicious of the GOP's attitudes, writes Jonsson—especially after conservative legislatures in the south and west waged such vocal battles against illegal immigrants.

Great article, G.

If for no other reason,Puerto Rico has the hottest women in the Northern Hemisphere.

Bing 'images, women,Puerto rico ' & you wonder where the party of angry ol' white guys lost their sex drives...

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I think the U.S. is having enough problems with the 50 states without adding more. I suppose that might be over come if Obama was to get an extra assistant.

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by hunboldtView Post

Great article, G.

If for no other reason,Puerto Rico has the hottest women in the Northern Hemisphere.

Bing 'images, women,Puerto rico ' & you wonder where the party of angry ol' white guys lost their sex drives...

You're on the wrong thread..

Canadian Content Forums -

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1

Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US statePuerto Rico votes to become 51st state | GlobalPost

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow.. we could be the 52nd state. lol

hah I'm still waiting for Canada to annex the USA as the 11th province or 4th territory.

B00Mer
Republican

Yeah I can embrace the Latin community, music and culture over the French wieners any day of the week.

Don Omar - Zumba Campaign Video - YouTube

Pitbull - Don39t Stop The Party ft TJR - YouTube

Wisin amp Yandel - Something About You ft Chris Brown T-Pain - YouTube

Daddy Yankee - Limbo - YouTube

EagleSmack

He's trolling Boomer. Let him troll.

Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

hah I'm still waiting for Canada to annex the USA as the 11th province or 4th territory.

A you really sure you want it?

B00Mer
Republican
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

eh! I already annexed two folks.. one from Mexico the other from the USA. Both my ex-wives.. they moved to Canada and never left.. now both are proud Canadian citizens..

What's another 300 million

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation

Hey. I like AK, OR, and WY. Southwestern deserts are kinda nifty, too. Well, ok, I'll amend my original comment to be more specific to those states. Maybe include WA and ID for the helluhbit.

EagleSmack
+1

eh! I already annexed two folks.. one from Mexico the other from the USA. Both my ex-wives.. they moved to Canada and never left.. now both are proud Canadian citizens..

I hope your wallets are deep enough.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1

Exactly, but I'd prefer if they didn't all move here like your exes..

EagleSmack

Hey. I like AK, OR, and WY. Southwestern deserts are kinda nifty, too. Well, ok, I'll amend my original comment to be more specific to those states. Maybe include WA and ID for the helluhbit.

Nah... you just can't take all the cool stuff. Let's start with Detroit.

Exactly, but I'd prefer if they didn't all move here like your exes..

Oh we won't. That's not what annexation is.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation

Nah... you just can't take all the cool stuff. Let's start with Detroit.

Git out!

http://cheezburger.com/4412122112

Oh we won't. That's not what annexation is.

I know. Tell that to Boomer.

hunboldt
Free Thinker
+1

BUT ON THE STRAIGHT TRACK!!

Whoo whoo whooooo...
set me up again, boom buddy.....

He's trolling Boomer. Let him troll.

errr....I 'm trolling for babes, mon.

Nothing personal; wishing you the best out ther -man...

petros
+1

Just Texas and Montana, the rest is no good.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Just Texas and Montana, the rest is no good.

You add those to your province and we'll add the ones I mentioned.

Nuggler
+3
They have a neat flag......

Good baseball.

Pretty women.

What's not to like ??

It's become an economic powerhouse of sorts, but poverty is endemic..............In the US also............

What's not to like ??