The Man who said NO to Europe

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The Man Who Said No to Europe

Britain vs. the EU 26: The Man Who Said No to Europe - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

DPA​
Great Britain is more isolated than ever in the EU.
British Prime Minister David Cameron has completely isolated his country on the European stage -- and many in his country applaud him for it. But he will soon have to prove that London still has clout in the EU, and that his no to fiscal union wasn't just a bone thrown to euroskeptic conservatives.

....this is a political biggie . Game,set ,????

Hope this strategy works for the UK....with minimal consequences ( forseen and unforseen. ).

"I said before I came to Brussels that if I couldn't get adequate safeguards for Britain in a new European treaty, then I wouldn't agree to it. What is on offer isn't in Britain's interests, so I didn't agree to it," he said. "We're not in the euro and I'm glad we're not in the euro."

Cameron: UK.

Quote Gallery: "I'm Glad We're Not in the Euro" - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Many so called experts predicted dire consequences when England backed out of the Euro. In hindsight which is often 20/20 it looks like it was a very smart move. England has more than enough of its own monetary problems without having to finance the economic basket cases of Europe.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Many so called experts predicted dire consequences when England backed out of the Euro. In hindsight which is often 20/20 it looks like it was a very smart move. England has more than enough of its own monetary problems without having to finance the economic basket cases of Europe.

How "isolating" do you think this will be for the UK?? And how would this actually affect things over all??

thx.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How "isolating" do you think this will be for the UK?? And how would this actually affect things over all??

thx.

I doubt that it will make any real difference for GB. Business will carry on regardless of what the political class does or says. France and Germany will be choked since they will be footing the bills for the rest of the EU or else the whole thing will implode.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I doubt that it will make any real difference for GB. Business will carry on regardless of what the political class does or says. France and Germany will be choked since they will be footing the bills for the rest of the EU or else the whole thing will implode.
And the North American Union is still on track with the same inevitable implosion if they continue down that path.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Britain is not getting involved because Europe has never really been stable anyway.
Cameron will be gone like a gust of wind in the next election anyway and even he
knows it. Liberal Democrats will go back under the rock they crawled out of and they
made a bad deal, to gain some measure of power. Labour will be back in a new role
with a new attitude. Cameron is no Thatcher and he can't hold onto the British people
in the way she could.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
And, Britain pines for lost empire and because of diminished prestige. In part, why it joined Bush as a member of the Axis of the Eager.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And, Britain pines for lost empire and because of diminished prestige. In part, why it joined Bush as a member of the Axis of the Eager.
Like an old washed up boxer who climbs back into the ring one last time to relive the glory, only to have his head pounded to a pulp. Britons are in for a rude awakening but their ruling class will make out like bandits as usual.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's now time for the Government to give the British people the referendum on Britain's membership of the EU and give us the chance to leave the monstrosity.

Britain should have no place in the EU and now needs to join the 87% of the world's countries who are outside it.

It may sound quaint to those swivel-eyed, mouth-foaming Europhiles, but I actually want Britain to be run by the British.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It's now time for the Government to give the British people the referendum on Britain's membership of the EU and give us the chance to leave the monstrosity.

Britain should have no place in the EU and now needs to join the 87% of the world's countries who are outside it.

It may sound quaint to those swivel-eyed, mouth-foaming Europhiles, but I actually want Britain to be run by the British.

Personally, I think what is needed is a close economic and military alliance of the English-speaking democracies.

A leader with vision would promote a new future, one which ties together nations that share language, a love for liberty, and a common political heritage.

Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, and India should come together, leaving behind NATO and the diseased EU.

Not only would there be economic advantages to all involved, the alliance would also present a united front to the Chinese.

Very much to the good.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Personally, I think what is needed is a close economic and military alliance of the English-speaking democracies.

A leader with vision would promote a new future, one which ties together nations that share language, a love for liberty, and a common political heritage.

Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, and India should come together, leaving behind NATO and the diseased EU.

Not only would there be economic advantages to all involved, the alliance would also present a united front to the Chinese.

Very much to the good.

Would India be necessary?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Very much to the good.

I'm more of a world federalist myself, but if it has to start off with an English-Speaking Union, I'd be all for it.

First off, one single military force shared by all of these countries would cut back on administrative duplication, triplication, nay, multiplication. Big savings there. Also, if we established a maximum of 100,000 well trained and equipped men, big savings there too. A common language would save on interpretation and language-training costs too (though we'd likely have to establish some kind of equivalent union with French-speaking countries or alternatively allow Quebec to separate on amicable terms while still possibly sharing a common citizenship and passport or interchangeable passports or something of the sort).

A common passport across an English-speaking union would expand our labour markets in a big way, also helping to keep emplayment rates up and correcting labour shortages too.

Those would be just some of the advantages of such a union.

India is not really an English-speaking country except officially. According to a study by Pattanayak in 1984, only about 4% of India's population is truly functional in English.

One problem I could see with an English-speaking Union is the issue of republic vs. monarchy, unless some kind of compromise could be established along the lines of some kind of elective constitutional monarchy.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Very much to the good.

Those countries, except the USA, already are together - we're together in the Commonwealth.

And I prefer the Commonwealth - a loose collection of sovereign states working together on various projects, such as the promotion of democracy and human rights, but which aren't giving up their sovereignties and have no aspirations of becoming a country - rather than the EU, an actual, proper political union of countries which are giving up their sovereignty, with its own currency, capital city, parliament and unelected president, which has aspirations of becoming a country.

I don't see why not.

India is a Commonwealth nation and is a big ally of Britain. It fought alongside Britain in both world wars and is, of course, the world's largest democracy.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
India is a Commonwealth nation and is a big ally of Britain. It fought alongside Britain in both world wars and is, of course, the world's largest democracy.

"I have alluded somewhat vaguely to the merits of democracy. One of them is quite obvious: it is, perhaps, the most charming form of government ever devised by man. The reason is not far to seek. It is based upon propositions that are palpably not true and what is not true, as everyone knows, is always immensely more fascinating and satisfying to the vast majority of men than what is true. Truth has a harshness that alarms them, and an air of finality that collides with their incurable romanticism. They turn, in all the great emergencies of life, to the ancient promises, transparently false but immensely comforting, and of all those ancient promises there is none more comforting than the one to the effect that the lowly shall inherit the earth. It is at the bottom of the dominant religious system of the modern world, and it is at the bottom of the dominant political system. The latter, which is democracy, gives it an even higher credit and authority than the former, which is Christianity. More, democracy gives it a certain appearance of objective and demonstrable truth. The mob man, functioning as citizen, gets a feeling that he is really important to the world - that he is genuinely running things. Out of his maudlin herding after rogues and mountebanks there comes to him a sense of vast and mysterious power—which is what makes archbishops, police sergeants, the grand goblins of the Ku Klux and other such magnificoes happy. And out of it there comes, too, a conviction that he is somehow wise, that his views are taken seriously by his betters - which is what makes United States Senators, fortune tellers and Young Intellectuals happy. Finally, there comes out of it a glowing consciousness of a high duty triumphantly done which is what makes hangmen and husbands happy."
H. L. Mencken, 1926

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

All the UK banks are flat as pancakes and they have enough gold left only for a good bye party, that's the whole thing, except for the cannon fodder which of course they now how to spend. The weather is killing them anyway.

Very much to the good.
Wait wait I think I know an economic answer, we could start WW 3, and lower the unemployment by twenty percent in one year. You would be affront enough for China all by yourself.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
All the UK banks are flat as pancakes and they have enough gold left only for a good bye party, that's the whole thing, except for the cannon fodder which of course they now how to spend. The weather is killing them anyway.

Wait wait I think I know an economic answer, we could start WW 3, and lower the unemployment by twenty percent in one year. You would be affront enough for China all by yourself.

War may create jobs, but destroys wealth. Seeing that the purpose of work is to produce wealth, work that destroys wealth is pointless.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
War may create jobs, but destroys wealth. Seeing that the purpose of work is to produce wealth, work that destroys wealth is pointless.

That's why we use someone elses wealth Machjo. Entrenched wealth does not use it's own unless it is an emergency. When were taxes invented? Still of course I know you are right because it is a bloody waste.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
All the UK banks are flat as pancakes

Absolute tosh. British banks were rescued by two government rescue packages totalling £100 billion. These stabilised British banks.

and they have enough gold left only for a good bye party

We would have had more gold in reserve had a certain Scotsman not sold 400 tons (60%) of it between 1999 and 2002 when gold was at its cheapest in 20 years.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Absolute tosh. British banks were rescued by two government rescue packages totalling £100 billion. These stabilised British banks.

Dark Beaver's gross exaggeration aside, bailing out banks is still a sign of weakness, just as we'd had to bail out the auto industry. We can't pretend the North American auto industry is on solid ground when it needs a bailout in hard times. Just wait till next recession. I say if they're a burden on the economy, then let them fall and make room for new growing industries.

We should put an end to corporate welfare. The only welfare we really need is quality education. Teach a man to fish... as they say.

We would have had more gold in reserve had a certain Scotsman not sold 400 tons (60%) of it between 1999 and 2002 when gold was at its cheapest in 20 years.

What does his being a Scotsman have to do with it? Let bygones be bygones.