Public banishment order

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
So that must be something like a fatwa except in this case the church has actually committed real crimes against these people.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Basque and Gaelic Nations - interesting!

Not sure how much power the Council of Elders has, but the statement alone has some impact on the lethargy of those churches to right the wrongs they perpetrated.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not quite my reaction, but close.

For the first time you're right, but sadly, still for all the wrong reasons, lol.

It's a shame it is an empty threat by a toothless group.

I'd love to see a united Council ruling coming to a consensus on this and actually tossing the churches out.

I take it that the council did not accept the appology issued by the UCoC? I remember it being done but never heard about the reaction to it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I take it that the council did not accept the appology issued by the UCoC? I remember it being done but never heard about the reaction to it.
I don't know either. I haven't really been following it. I've learned quite a few new things since I got involved with the Anish. Some not so good things, some neat good things.

I fired off a couple emails with the link from the OP, to people well inside the loop.

I'll post the gist of the response as soon as I get it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd love to see a united Council ruling coming to a consensus on this and actually tossing the churches out.

As a Catholic, I have to say, it would be a worthwhile sacrifice, just to see a council united on anything. If a band ever got it together enough to stand up, united, and do something like this, it would be a step in the right direction.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As a Catholic, I have to say, it would be a worthwhile sacrifice, just to see a council united on anything. If a band ever got it together enough to stand up, united, and do something like this, it would be a step in the right direction.
I was referring to the Assembly of First Nations, across the country. Not just one Band.

I have to ask.

What sacrifice is it to you?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was referring to the Assembly of First Nations, across the country. Not just one Band.

I have to ask.

What sacrifice is it to you?

Simply one of fellowship. Many of my family are both First Nations and Catholic, and my father in law helps perform mass at the reserve outside the town where I grew up. It would be sad to see a loss of fellowship in a community that already suffers from too little.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Simply one of fellowship. Many of my family are both First Nations and Catholic, and my father in law helps perform mass at the reserve outside the town where I grew up.
Fair enough.

If only those in the First nations community you speak of, held the church to some standard for the crimes committed in its name, but have yet to pay for. And i don't mean monetarily.

It would be sad to see a loss of fellowship in a community that already suffers from too little.
I don't mean to sound anti Christian. But I think the church adds little to what little there sometimes is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Fair enough.

If only those in the First nations community you speak of, held the church to some standard for the crimes committed in its name, but have yet to pay for. And i don't mean monetarily.

I don't mean to sound anti Christian. But I think the church adds little to what little there sometimes is.

From what I've seen, I have to disagree. I'm speaking from a community standpoint that includes the town adjoining the reserve, and I have to say, if it weren't for the church, all my in-laws would know of their neighbours is the news stories about the crimes and the drunks who get run over on the highway. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant of the reserve community some are until they're invited out, and for many, a church gathering is the only time they are.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Fair enough.

What do you mean then. What exactly is it you "require"?

It adds no more and no less than what people want from it. No more and no less than what YOUR beliefs do.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When the government and the churches teamed up to destroy the culture of aboriginal people, they destroyed their identity. They did not own the land, they were an integral part of the land. Their spirituality was not separate from the social, governance or economic lives. It was all integrated, inseparable. Destroying that is the root of all confusion, addiction and violence in their communities. European religions have been the biggest contributing factor to the disintegration of their communities. It would be very difficult to get consensus to remove them with such derision created by the dissolution of the fabric of their existence.

The European view of reality is in contradiction to theirs. It is hard for people of any faith outside the culture to fathom the damage done to the collective psyche of these communities and to that of the greater community within Canada. The only way to heal the psychosis rendered by European interference is for them to back off and allow the people to find their own way home. It is not up to us to even help them, except to leave them do what they need to do.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Hear ye hear ye. Me and my Irish ilk are publicly banishing anyone who does not like four leaf clovers and redheaded women. If ye are amongst these sods, be gone I say or if ye feel like hangin about we can be bought off fer a pint of Guinness.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hear ye hear ye. Me and my Irish ilk are publicly banishing anyone who does not like four leaf clovers and redheaded women. If ye are amongst these sods, be gone I say or if ye feel like hangin about we can be bought off fer a pint of Guinness.
Banished from where? Irish pubs? Ye can keep the Guinness but I would like a red head wearing nothin' but a four leaf clover.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
From a an Anish source,

"Wow interesting stuff, hmmmmm who is going to enforce it?????"

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant of the reserve community some are until they're invited out, and for many, a church gathering is the only time they are.
Do I have to list all the open invitations to all the Pow Wow's, across the country?

What do you mean then. What exactly is it you "require"?
I don't require anything.

The RCC has not apologized, and refuses to tell the concerned where the bodies are.

It adds no more and no less than what people want from it. No more and no less than what YOUR beliefs do.
Considering the difference in what our beliefs are, Id say your opinion is way out to lunch there.