Several dead, many wounded in bus attack in Israel

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Several dead, many wounded in bus attack in Israel

At least five people were killed and more than a dozen wounded in a series of attacks in southern Israel near the Egyptian border this morning, media and military reports say.

Israeli Defence Forces reports a car carrying three attackers opened fire on a bus that regularly transports soldiers. Shortly after, IDF soldiers searching for the car were attacked by explosives and gunfire, authorities said.

Mortars fired from the Egyptian border at IDF patrols also caused injuries and havoc, media reports say.

The newspaper Haaretz reports that five people are dead and at least 15 people hurt from the bus attack. Five of the wounded are in critical condition, Israel’s Channel 2 reported.

Defence Minister Ehud Barak warned that “this terror attack originated from Gaza. We will exhaust all measures against the terrorists,” YNetNews, the website of newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth, reported.

YNet reports the five critically wounded were from a separate bus and car attack at around 6 a.m. Toronto time in southern Israel.

An Egyptian security official denied that Egypt had any involvement in the attacks, YNet said. The official told Egyptian media that the armed terrorists operated from within Israel’s borders. “Egypt was in no way involved in the incident, since it is difficult to penetrate the Egypt-Israel border. Moreover, it is impossible to open fire from the Egyptian side to Israel because of the distance,” he said.

At around noon local time (5 a.m. Toronto time), attackers in a car shot at a bus travelling from Beer Sheva to Eilat, near the community of Netafim. The bus often carries many soldiers returning to their bases.

In addition to the shooting attacks, mortars were fired from the Egyptian border and a bomb was set off on an Israeli army vehicle, Haaretz said. Ten passengers on board the bus sustained light to moderate injuries, the newspaper said.

Military spokesman Brig.-Gen. Yoav Mordechai says the attackers used heavy weapons, possibly mortars or anti-tank weapons, and explosive devices during the attacks.

Two to four terrorists were killed during the clashes, an IDF spokesman is quoted as saying.

World News:

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
The Hamas government in the Gaza Strip denied carrying out the attacks.

But Hamas MP Salah Al Bardaweel told the BBC: "The attack is a natural reaction of the occupation aggression in Gaza."

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Hamas government in the Gaza Strip denied carrying out the attacks.

But Hamas MP Salah Al Bardaweel told the BBC: "The attack is a natural reaction of the occupation aggression in Gaza."

Yep.

Sure.

Aggression.

To Hamas, a Jew BREATHING is aggression against Islam in general and Gaza in particular.

Read their Charter:

Hamas Charter

As well, Israel left Gaza to the Palestinians six years ago. You know, unilaterally abandoning the "occupation". That is what Israel did, and this is the result. Gaza has become a launching point for attacks into Israel.

Death to Hamas.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I understand that we can speculate, but there has been no indication that this is Hamas yet.

We will have to wait for more evidence before we decry death to anybody.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I understand that we can speculate, but there has been no indication that this is Hamas yet.

We will have to wait for more evidence before we decry death to anybody.

Well, you had better hope it was from Hamas.....because if it did not originate in Gaza, it originated from Egypt.........

That is a whole different, and much larger, kettle of fish.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well, you had better hope it was from Hamas.....because if it did not originate in Gaza, it originated from Egypt.........

That is a whole different, and much larger, kettle of fish.

Fair enough. There is also the possibility (although an extremely low probability) that it could have originated from Israelis themselves. With the recent uprisings and protests, this sort of action is not out of the question even if they were using some pretty heavy artillery.

If it did originate from Egypt, then it would be in part due to the release of prisoners after the Mumbarak ejection. Not that I would marginalize that dictator's removal - it would just be a matter of collateral damage in this case.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Fair enough. There is also the possibility (although an extremely low probability) that it could have originated from Israelis themselves. With the recent uprisings and protests, this sort of action is not out of the question even if they were using some pretty heavy artillery.

You cannot be serious.

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
I personally believe they're disenfranchised Gazans who are at the end of their rope.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I personally believe they're disenfranchised Gazans who are at the end of their rope.

Ahhh....perhaps you should look up "disenfranchise" in the dictionary.......

Oh here, allow me:

dis·en·fran·chiseVerb/ˌdisenˈfranCHīz/

1. Deprive (someone) of the right to vote.

2. Deprived of power; marginalized.

Please note the primary meaning:

The Palestinians of Gaza have been "disenfranchised".......by HAMAS.

They were elected in January of 2006........to a four year term.

That is the wonderful thing about electing Islamists......do it just once and you never have to be bothered with electoral choice ever again.

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011

It's a very accurate term for the Gazans.
Hamas does more for Gazans than Israel.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

It's a very accurate term for the Gazans.
Hamas does more for Gazans than Israel.

Almost correct..........Hamas does more TO Gazans than Israel. :)

You know, imposing sharia law, throwing members of opposing parties off tall buildings, killing gays.....well, I could go on and on and on....

but you believe whatever you like.

I'm just saying it's a possibility. We'll know more in the next few days.

Well, yes, it is in the realm of possibilty.

It is also possible that my mother is actually an alien from the planet Zemon.......

One is about as likely as the other.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well, yes, it is in the realm of possibilty.

It is also possible that my mother is actually an alien from the planet Zemon.......

One is about as likely as the other.

Could be worse..

Last edited:

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
Almost correct..........Hamas does more TO Gazans than Israel. :)

You know, imposing sharia law, throwing members of opposing parties off tall buildings, killing gays.....well, I could go on and on and on....

but you believe whatever you like.

Such nonsense. Hamas does MORE to the Gazans? I'm quite sure Israel has slaughtered and tortured much more Gazans than Hamas could imagine.
As far as Sharia law, isn't that generally the law Muslims tend to abide by? So I don't know if it's actually be imposed on them.
The Palestinians aren't throwing rocks at Hamas, they're directing them at Israel.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As far as Sharia law, isn't that generally the law Muslims tend to abide by? So I don't know if it's actually be imposed on them.

I am sure gays in the Gaza simply love being executed! I am sure Gazans love having weddings broken up because they are playing music. I am sure they play music just so they can abide by the beatings that Hamas bestows upon them.

That is the wonderful thing about electing Islamists......do it just once and you never have to be bothered with electoral choice ever again.

Isn't that the truth!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hmmmmm...Colpy, generally you condemn "terrorists" because they only attack civilians. This was a military attack against a military target. This attack is exactly what you have said, in the past, you would have less of a problem with. Militants attacking the military rather than civilians.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

If it did originate from Egypt, then it would be in part due to the release of prisoners after the Mumbarak ejection. Not that I would marginalize that dictator's removal - it would just be a matter of collateral damage in this case.

Israel is most likely to have carried out the terrorist attacks especially in the light of internal domestic Israeli demonstrations that are threatening destabilization at this critical time just before the Israeli **** hits the fan in Syria and Lebanon. It's right out of the protocals the lesser breatheren are regularly expeneded in operations just like this one.