The earth Hour is back!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well, it is earth hour again. Tomorrow, Saturday 27th march at 8.30 p.m. is the earth hour. Be sure to turn the lights off for one hour 8.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. It is a way of making a statement for the environment.

I posted a thread about earth hour last year as well. Last year earth hour was a smashing success, more than 1 billion people in the world participated. Let us hope we can do better this year.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well Ron, I am going to keep this thread on the front page tomorrow, so that the posters here are aware of the earth hour. That is all I can do.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Earth Hour is a pile of horse ****e....bunch of Birkenstock wearing, Volvo driving knuckle heads knitting yogurt in the dark singing kumbya.:roll:

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Well, it is earth hour again. Tomorrow, Saturday 27th march at 8.30 p.m. is the earth hour. Be sure to turn the lights off for one hour 8.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. It is a way of making a statement for the environment.

I posted a thread about earth hour last year as well. Last year earth hour was a smashing success, more than 1 billion people in the world participated. Let us hope we can do better this year.
What a joke that was! The "total number of participants" was announced before most of the world had even reached "earth hour" if you'll recall.

Why only an hour? Why not a day, or a week? The answer is obvious. No one is willing to make more than a token effort. They're not going to give up their lights, fridges, stoves, furnaces, air conditioners, microwaves, computers, cars, or even cell phones or any of the rest of the amenities that make their lives so comfortable and convenient. And neither are you, for all your posturing.

What a hypocritical demonstration.

I'll have every light in the house on during that hour, including my outdoor christmas lights which were left up just for this occasion, to demonstrate to my neigbours that I'm not dumb enough to be sucked into that demo.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
This guy has the right attitude.

Given that I am an Indian, and MUCH more in tune with mother earth and her earthly needs than the rest of you white-ass honkie bastards, I thought it only prudent that I share with you my contribution to the much anticipated "Earth Hour 2010".

Although it is still a couple of days away, already I have started to pile wood for what is going to be the "Mother of all Bonfires", because you see, after hours of research, I have concluded that this is the most effective way to spew carbon into the atmosphere in the allotted time. Yesterdays 5:45 am underwear-clad jaunt out to start my truck (it's a BIG stinky diesel, btw) in minus ****ing 24 conditions pressed home the need to make this puppy so big it will be visible from the space shuttle when I torch it up.

I am also going to stray from my tradition of eating only self-killed sustenance, and pick up some nice thick t-bones, since they contribute much more carbon than my venison. If I can find some flown in from New Zealand, then so much the better.

Now, before all you frothing, sniveling greenie pinko's start gnashing your teeth to the gums, wailing to Gaia and engaging in group hand-wringing, do not despair. You can offset all of this abuse I am going to release by extending your own "Earth Hour" to Earth Day, Earth Month or whatever else makes you hard (and/or wet). Keep those lights off till fall, wipe your ass 1/4 of the time and flush 1/2 of that, better still, go **** on your lawn and spread it with your bare feet, you get the picture.

It's not like you can't make up for it.

Your welcome..

The Progressive Indian: Happy Earth Hour 2010

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
And Ross too...
Earth Hour: No Thanks
Ross McKitrick

I was recently asked by a journalist for my thoughts on the importance of Earth Hour. Here is my response, edited slightly for readers outside this area.

I abhor Earth Hour. Abundant, cheap electricity has been the greatest source of human liberation in the 20th century. Every material social advance in the 20th century depended on the proliferation of inexpensive and reliable electricity. Giving women the freedom to
work outside the home depended on the availability of electrical appliances that free up time from domestic chores. Getting children out of menial labour and into schools depended on the same thing, as well as the ability to provide safe indoor lighting for reading.

Development and provision of modern health care without electricity is absolutely
impossible. The expansion of our food supply, and the promotion of hygiene and nutrition, depended on being able to irrigate fields, cook and refrigerate foods, and have a steady indoor supply of hot water. Many of the world's poor suffer brutal environmental conditions in their own homes because of the necessity of cooking over indoor fires that burn twigs and dung. This causes local deforestation and the proliferation of smoke- and parasite-related lung diseases. Anyone who wants to see local conditions improve in the third world should realize the importance of access to cheap electricity from fossil-fuel based power generating stations. That's how we developed.

The whole mentality around Earth Hour demonizes electricity. I cannot do that, instead I celebrate it and all that it has provided for humanity. Earth Hour celebrates ignorance, poverty and backwardness. By repudiating the greatest engine of liberation it is nothing more than an hour devoted to anti-humanism. It invites people to become sanctimonious do-gooders by turning off trivial appliances for a trivial amount of time, in service of some ill-understood abstract concept of “the Earth,” all the while hypocritically retaining the real benefits of electricity. People who want to do without electricity in service of some symbolic solidarity with nature should shut off their fridge, stove, microwave, computer, water heater, lights, TV and all other appliances for a month, not an hour. And pop down to thecardiac unit at the hospital and shut the power off there too.

I don't want to go back to nature. Haiti just went back to nature. For humans, living in
"Nature" meant a short life span marked by violence, disease and ignorance. People who work to end poverty and disease are fighting against nature. I hope they leave their lights on.

Here in Ontario, through the use of pollution control technology and advanced engineering, our air quality has dramatically improved since the 1960s despite the expansion of industry and the power supply. If, after all this, we are going to take the view that the remaining air emissions outweigh all the benefits of electricity, and that we ought to be shamed into sitting in darkness for an hour, like naughty children who have been caught doing something bad, then we are setting up unspoiled nature as an absolute, transcendent ideal that obliterates all other ethical and humane obligations. No thanks. I like visiting nature but I don't want to live there, and I refuse to accept the idea that civilization is something to be ashamed of.

http://1488276005495550431-a-180274...iKhOz8z31Pjsg-mgP3cWNg-DHv-LLv&attredirects=0

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Think I'll do the same thing I did last year...... turn every light in the house on, all 5 tv's, and maybe see if the wife wants to bake a cake at that time too.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Think I'll do the same thing I did last year...... turn every light in the house on, all 5 tv's, and maybe see if the wife wants to bake a cake at that time too.
What - you don't know how to turn on the oven and toss in a cake mix???

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Earth Hour is a pile of horse ****e....bunch of Birkenstock wearing, Volvo driving knuckle heads knitting yogurt in the dark singing kumbya.:roll:

Well, singing in the dark is better than singing in the light. And I didn't know 1 billion people in the world drove Volvos (Volvo must be tolling in profits). That is how many people participated in earth hour last year.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What a joke that was! The "total number of participants" was announced before most of the world had even reached "earth hour" if you'll recall.

That was the estimate of World Wildlife Federation, also of most impartial observers (like Globe and Mail). I see no reason to disbelieve them.

Why only an hour? Why not a day, or a week? The answer is obvious. No one is willing to make more than a token effort. They're not going to give up their lights, fridges, stoves, furnaces, air conditioners, microwaves, computers, cars, or even cell phones or any of the rest of the amenities that make their lives so comfortable and convenient. And neither are you, for all your posturing.

What a hypocritical demonstration.
Earth hour is a token, a symbolic statement. There are many other more substantial initiatives to save the environment (most of them opposed by conservatives, like the earth hour). But here we are making a symbolic statement.

I'll have every light in the house on during that hour, including my outdoor christmas lights which were left up just for this occasion, to demonstrate to my neigbours that I'm not dumb enough to be sucked into that demo.
Believe, me I wouldn't expect anything different from a conservative anti-environmentalist.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

So you have quoted a few right wing extremists here, big deal. And that supposed Indian, we have only his word that he is an Indian. For all we know he may be a lily white Joan of Arc acolyte, a committed anti-environmentalist Anybody can tell any kind of lies on the internet.

So what you are saying is that right wing extremists, anti-environmentalists are against Earth Hour. Big surprise there.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What - you don't know how to turn on the oven and toss in a cake mix???

That is the job for a conservative woman, VanIsle. No self respecting conservative man is going to sully his hands by doing sissy stuff like cooking. That is the job for his wife (or for his girlfriend for the night).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Earth hour has come and gone in Sydney, Australia and already it is a bigger success than last year. The idea for Earth Hour originated in Sydney.

The remote Chatham Islands was the first of more than 100 nations and territories to turn off the power at 8.30 p.m. local time, in a rolling event around the globe that ends just across the International Dateline in Samoa 24 hours later.

Event co-founder Andy Ridley told Reuters that 126 countries and territories had so far signed up, with thousands of special events scheduled, including a lights-out party on Sydney's northern beaches and an Earth Hour 'speed dating' contest.

By contrast, last year only 88 countries participated. So this year definitely we can do better than last year.

World icons taking part for the first time this year include the presidential Blue House in South Korea and the Forbidden City in Beijing.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I celebrate Earth Hour every day between 12am and 5am and whenever the house is empty during the day.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I will follow Gerryh's lead and once again do as I did last year.
But this year i will add a little flair and deliver photos of my neighboors
christmas light display when they turn out their lights.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Typical left-wing nonsense, posted by the most hypocritical of them all.

Being independently rich (and if that is not enough, leaching off his wife) it is safe to come to the conclusion that his home consumes more power just by being there than most most regular homes could save by switching power off for one hour 365 days a year.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Why don't you and he compare electric bills. Let's see how safe your conclusion is...