The Power of Makeup

Locutus
wow.

More hubba-hubba examples here:

www.eatliver.com/makeup/#null (external - login to view)

triedit
I want one. A makeover, not a girl.

Zan
Just showed those pics to my hunny and my daughter. Both initially thought there must have been surgery involved. A closer look says nope. Some dental work maybe, but I don't think they've had anything permanently altered. It's all make-up and hair do overs.

I want one too!

triedit
I had my hair and makeup professionally done for work on the promotional circuit for the movie White Noise. It was amazing. And I've had glamor shots done...would love to find another one of those deals. For about $100 you get your hair and makeup and several wardrobe changes. Then of course you can buy the pics. Do they do that in Canada? Or was it just a passing fad from the 90's?

Unforgiven
Anything for money. You want it, you got it. Bring your gold card though.
www.torontoglamourshots.com/ (external - login to view)

Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

I had my hair and makeup professionally done for work on the promotional circuit for the movie White Noise. It was amazing. And I've had glamor shots done...would love to find another one of those deals. For about $100 you get your hair and makeup and several wardrobe changes. Then of course you can buy the pics. Do they do that in Canada? Or was it just a passing fad from the 90's?

triedit
I don't think I want one $500 worth! The ones we had down home were done in a hotel room and were only headshots. Of course if I actually looked like the girls in that portfolio I might WANT expensive photos!

Vereya
Most of the girls were not bad-looking, it's just that they didn't take slightest trouble to make themselves look good. I detest this kind of laziness in women. We are supposed to be beautiful, because we are supposed to be beautiful. Or at least good-looking. It takes some trouble to achieve it, but once you get used to taking care of your appearance, it's not hard at all. Plain laziness lead them to looking like they did on the "before" pictures.

Unforgiven
I don't know about plane laziness but there is a lot of extra work that's gone into making them look more like people at their best. Lighting plays a role along with where they taking the pictures.

I think it's just the unrealistic measure we foist upon women and more often now men too, of what is considered beautiful. I don't think it's any wonder why some kids who just don't have the thousands of dollars to spend on professional make up, hair and a good photoshop artist each year.

Quote: Originally Posted by VereyaView Post

Most of the girls were not bad-looking, it's just that they didn't take slightest trouble to make themselves look good. I detest this kind of laziness in women. We are supposed to be beautiful, because we are supposed to be beautiful. Or at least good-looking. It takes some trouble to achieve it, but once you get used to taking care of your appearance, it's not hard at all. Plain laziness lead them to looking like they did on the "before" pictures.

Nuggler
All women are beautiful in one way or another .

(browniepointsbrowniepointsbrowniepoints)

gopher
+1
#10  Top Rated Post
Is that a real transformation or just another trick being played on people like the photos of skinny models that circulated last year throughout the Internet?

Nuggler
I think the beauty was always there Goph, just needed some assistance so others could see it.......

If it's a trick, it's a good'un.

Nugg.

gopher
+1
There's no question in my mind that beauty is innate and with a little help can be expressed outwardly as in those photos. I was just wondering if they were the same girls but it wouldn't surprise me too much if it was true.

Curiosity
I've seen some transformations in truly depressed and battered women

They spend some time in getting assessed and counselled by a makeover person - and during the process of becoming beautiful in their presentations, their inner being also feels a renewed confidence and a lifting of the personal mood.

Makeovers are truly a wonderful path for a woman to follow as long as attention is paid to her self worth. It's a total package that works.

A woman's appearance is often the first thing to go if she is in trouble - financially, personally, mentally, and all the other reasons we realize we are alone in a sea of mud.

Ariadne
Okay, I'm convinced ... men should wear make up too.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Makeovers are truly a wonderful path for a woman to follow as long as attention is paid to her self worth. It's a total package that works.

Agree with you, Curio. A change in appearance is just a reflection of an inner change. The scope of one depends on the scope of the other.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Ummm... Are you quite sure?

Ariadne
Oh yes, if make up can transform women like that, then a little transformation on men could only help matters. The make up seems to move the cheek highlights up a bit, cover up any marks like freckles, make the eyes sparkle and, generally speaking, take a number of years off women. Why shouldn't men take a few years off so women appreciate them a bit more too?

triedit

Oh yes, if make up can transform women like that, then a little transformation on men could only help matters. The make up seems to move the cheek highlights up a bit, cover up any marks like freckles, make the eyes sparkle and, generally speaking, take a number of years off women. Why shouldn't men take a few years off so women appreciate them a bit more too?

here's a pretty good arguement against that...

#juan
I have to admit that some of those transformations were just short of miraculous but the girls in the before section looked like they had been "made down", to make the make-over more dramatic.

s_lone
While make-up can do miracles, never forget that there is nothing as shocking as seeing a woman with no make-up when you are used to always see her with it...

Tonington
And the power of computers, and marketing!
www.ministry-of-information.c...keiramanip.htm (external - login to view)

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

here's a pretty good arguement against that...

Now I'm not advocating men in dresses, just suggesting that if women are plastered on the net showing their before and after "face painting" experience, perhaps men should be held to that same standard and make themselves a little bit younger looking for women's visual appreciation.

Eye candy should work in both directions, n'est pas?

Niflmir
Anyone see the Real Beauty (external - login to view) ad by Dove? You can watch all the "modelling" in action, its truly incredible.

And pluck their eyebrows too. I have thought this for quite some time now, most actors wear makeup to appear better looking, our poor cultural inertia keeps us from embracing this.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

While make-up can do miracles, never forget that there is nothing as shocking as seeing a woman with no make-up when you are used to always see her with it...

True, and nothing as odd as seeing a woman that is normally natural sporting the "done up" look. It's a bit like seeing a grey, straight haired guy show up with no grey and a curl.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Anyone see the Real Beauty (external - login to view) ad by Dove? You can watch all the "modelling" in action, its truly incredible.

And pluck their eyebrows too. I have thought this for quite some time now, most actors wear makeup to appear better looking, our poor cultural inertia keeps us from embracing this.

That dove commercial is pretty special ... you can take anyone and make them look like a model. It's always interesting to see those post-50ish women (with the lines on their faces) sporting that cakey makeup - looks really pretty!

s_lone

True, and nothing as odd as seeing a woman that is normally natural sporting the "done up" look. It's a bit like seeing a grey, straight haired guy show up with no grey and a curl.

That's right... When my female friends wear make-up for special occasions (they tend to be natural), I always have to resist telling them they are a whole lot prettier without the make-up...

Twila
No amount of makeup will hide a shallow, selfish soul. And no amount of makeup can make a selfless, happy soul prettier.

hermanntrude
why are all of you so interested in making yourselves into what you are not?

makeup is a lie. Sometimes very pretty, and I have no objection to using it on occasion, but seriously, to suggest that it's somehow wrong for a woman not to use it is just plain crazy.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

That's right... When my female friends wear make-up for special occasions (they tend to be natural), I always have to resist telling them they are a whole lot prettier without the make-up...

Agreed. I work with a woman who was splashing her wedding photo around for everyone to see ... I didn't even recognize her. She definitely had the professional make over. Must have scary for the poor husband after the party was over!

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

why are all of you so interested in making yourselves into what you are not?

makeup is a lie. Sometimes very pretty, and I have no objection to using it on occasion, but seriously, to suggest that it's somehow wrong for a woman not to use it is just plain crazy.

I'm all for makeovers ... I want to see men in the same position ... I want to see them do some makeovers for my visual pleasure. Then I can sit back and decide whether they're better with or without make up, make jokes about how shallow they've all become with their pre-occupation with looks.