Long Weekend Plans???

Curiosity
Whatcha gonna do on your long weekend?

Hope the weather is nice for all of you - let's hear what kind of trouble you are planning to get into...

DurkaDurka
It's my friends 30'th birthday this Friday, So I will probably end up getting extremely drunk and thrown in the drunk tank. lol

Nuggler
Aside from the local pig-calling contest, there ain't much goin on in the swamp this here weekend.

So............we shall attempt to avoid at all costs any "organized" events which have the "consumer" in mind, or those "for the kids, eh".

A new drug store is opening, so we might take in the condom display, or maybe get a free paper hat.

Other than thet.........gonna read.........fish.........play a bit a music with some folks.............folk music

They might have a parade........................

Hope y'all injoy yers.

N'Ugg.

Walter
Legion BBQ on Saturday.

Impetus
Friends coming down for a visit...yes down...if you thought I was up north...

Ongoing reno work...main floor bathroom and foyer...

A day at the beach...thinking of Sandbanks or Wasaga...

Wash the dog...after last week's crocodile impression in the river...(see attachment, thx Unf!)

And I have a song idea that's been bouncing around in my head all week I'd like to lay down tracks for.

Muz
Attached Images
croc o bandit.jpg (100.3 KB, 17 views)

Dreadful Nonsense
Bobcaygeon...Sandy's sister's place on the water...she lives there all year round..they got a new pontoon boat...what ever that is LOL....should be fun though.....they traded in 2 fairly new sea doo things....i hated them...well riding on the back of one with a madmen did me no good....LOL

DurkaDurka
Pontoon boats can be fun, they are rather slow but they are nice for cruising around on.

Are you going to be the Skipper?

tracy
It's a long weekend? I didn't know. I'll be working this weekend. Maybe that's why we're having a potluck.... mmmmm..... potlucks....

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Pontoon boats can be fun, they are rather slow but they are nice for cruising around on.

Are you going to be the Skipper?

Last time I was skipper was this 3 hour tour deal ..a 3 hour tour

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by DocDredView Post

Last time I was skipper was this 3 hour tour deal ..a 3 hour tour

Man the sails! Full speed ahead!

triedit
Finishing the latest book--HAVE TO--it MUST go to the printer on Tuesday to be ready for the book launch on Friday!

dirtylinder
Thinking on heading to Cortes, then stopping on Quadra for dinner at the Herriot Bay Inn...might take in a little of the Filberg Festival....HAVE FUN ALL!
Last edited by dirtylinder; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 05:55 PM..Reason: spelling

Curiosity

Bobcaygeon...Sandy's sister's place on the water...she lives there all year round..they got a new pontoon boat...what ever that is LOL....should be fun though.....they traded in 2 fairly new sea doo things....i hated them...well riding on the back of one with a madmen did me no good....LOL

Doc Here's one sample - they have double decker ones too... nice and easy riding.... no big chores required and makes for lovely trip with good company. You lucky guy!!!

A few of my family members get a big one and cruise around the Okanagan for a week....they come back rested.... you can tie up and eat at a restaurant... or eat your catch of the day.... it's really a comfortable way to spend some R&R time.

SwitSof
Want to see more of Dublin before moving.
Leonardo da Vinci's Codex Leicester is on display in Dublin castle so will see that probably.
Last edited by SwitSof; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 05:19 PM..

#juan
We had planned to take our boat down to Victoria but the weather doesn't look too promising. The boat, a 32 foot Carver, is very good in rough weather but I'd sooner spend a rainy weekend in a hotel. On top of that, the fuel cost to take the boat down and back just about equals the cost of a hotel room. We'll see if the weatherman changes his mind.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Doc Here's one sample - they have double decker ones too... nice and easy riding.... no big chores required and makes for lovely trip with good company. You lucky guy!!!

A few of my family members get a big one and cruise around the Okanagan for a week....they come back rested.... you can tie up and eat at a restaurant... or eat your catch of the day.... it's really a comfortable way to spend some R&R time.

Ta lovey....
Now that looks more my speed...Her hubby was a wild man on the sea doo... I think he wanted to see if he could scare me...he did..had this hopped up polaris i think and a Yammaha(i think). one gave off a rat tail water spray....in any case he said it was one of the fastest you can buy.any way when we got back everyone howled at the friggin site of me....i looked like i just went through an ordeal....I was a lil ticked at the guy....bonding with inlaws...yayness!!!

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

We had planned to take our boat down to Victoria but the weather doesn't look too promising. The boat, a 32 foot Carver, is very good in rough weather but I'd sooner spend a rainy weekend in a hotel. On top of that, the fuel cost to take the boat down and back just about equals the cost of a hotel room. We'll see if the weatherman changes his mind.

Carvers are nice boats. What model year and model?
Twin gas inboards?

We've been looking for a 42-57 foot used Chris Craft that we can refit to our own needs and eventualy live aboard.

Curiosity
Doc....agreed!

I love speed - but sometimes on water I enjoy taking in the scenery - you can't do anything on a ski-doo except try to breathe and survive .... At least you don't have to worry about the top of your bathingsuit staying where it belongs !! LOL

In-laws..... nobody has figured out the interaction yet of this thrown together group of people....

Hope your pontoon trip is more enjoyable!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Carvers are nice boats. What model year and model?
Twin gas inboards?

We've been looking for a 42-57 foot used Chris Craft that we can refit to our own needs and eventualy live aboard.

It's a 1994 Carver Crusader, with twin shaft drive V-8s. Pass anything but a gas station. With an 11'-10" beam it is a great rough water boat but it does burn gas like it was free. There is another version of this boat with twin 6 cyl. Lehman diesels that will give you 16 knots at 10 gallons per hour but those boats are never on the market for more than a few hours.

Dreadful Nonsense
If your going to live on a boat i think diesel would be a concern.
Especially with a used older model.
Think smelling diesel fumes always to the point you won't notice the taste of food on some boats after sleeping on them for a few weeks
Maybe a little extreme in making my point,but true enough in some cases.

#juan

If your going to live on a boat i think diesel would be a concern.
Especially with a used older model.
Think smelling diesel fumes always to the point you won't notice the taste of food on some boats after sleeping on them for a few weeks
Maybe a little extreme in making my point,but true enough in some cases.

The attraction with diesel engines is that they are more reliable and burn a fraction of the fuel that gas engines do. If anything, gas engines are worse because the burn twice as much fuel...also there is no pollution control equipment on marine engines. I would rather have diesels any day of the week.

Dreadful Nonsense

The attraction with diesel engines is that they are more reliable and burn a fraction of the fuel that gas engines do. If anything, gas engines are worse because the burn twice as much fuel...also there is no pollution control equipment on marine engines. I would rather have diesels any day of the week.

Yeah but I know people that say they stink....Hell i've been in old mercedeces diesels and could detect a diesel smell.....Of course i got a pretty good sniffer....it's an issue everywhere these days

Walter
Kempenfest on my way to the BBQ.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Kempenfest on my way to the BBQ.

I've done kempenfest!!!

Unforgiven

It's a 1994 Carver Crusader, with twin shaft drive V-8s. Pass anything but a gas station. With an 11'-10" beam it is a great rough water boat but it does burn gas like it was free. There is another version of this boat with twin 6 cyl. Lehman diesels that will give you 16 knots at 10 gallons per hour but those boats are never on the market for more than a few hours.

I hear ya. I've been researching diesel conversions to run biodiesel fuel and one of the best setups I've found thus far is a system that starts the boat off regular diesel and then after the engine is warmed up and running, switching over to a biodiesel fuel to run on and then switching back to regular diesel just five minutes before shutdown. That way the engine has the additives run through it to keep it clean and lubed.

Obvious draw back is the complexity of the system having two fuels to hold and so on, but the cost for the conversion can be recovered pretty fast. Next is biodiesel availability. But that is growing. And I suspect with the decline of oil and the price hikes, it will push more investors into the production side of it.

I've been looking at these Volvo Penta engines. That technology is pretty impressive. I like the water and exhaust ported right out the engines into the propwash, and the design putting 100% of the thrust into the direction you want to go.

I think I want to see these on the water for a couple of years yet before I would drop the money on a refit with them though.

Your Carver sounds beamy. Do you use stabilizers or have you found that to be a problem at all? I've seen the hydraulic fin type and they sound great but I wonder just how much of a difference that would make verses the added maintenance and potential for problems with it.

#juan
Any type of diesel conversion would suit me but that is an expensive proposition. The main strengths of the Carver are it's ability to handle very rough water and the soft ride at speed. The weaknesses are the obvious ones. At slower trolling/fishing speeds it rides like a bloody raft and at anything near the cruising speed it is capable of it burns well over twenty gallons an hour. The boat is beamy....close to two feet more than a lot of boats of this length. That extra width gives us a nice wide salon and room for a decent sized galley and head but it adds to the problems I mentioned.

I've never considered stabilizers and as far as I know, neither did the builder for this boat. There are a lot of logs and deadheads in the coastal waters and anything sticking out sticking out like a stabilizer fin stands a fair chance of getting sheared off.

The weather on the west coast can turn crappy very quickly and you either have a nice solid displacement hull so you can ride it out, or you have lots of power and speed so you can get in quickly

Unforgiven

Any type of diesel conversion would suit me but that is an expensive proposition. The main strengths of the Carver are it's ability to handle very rough water and the soft ride at speed. The weaknesses are the obvious ones. At slower trolling/fishing speeds it rides like a bloody raft and at anything near the cruising speed it is capable of it burns well over twenty gallons an hour. The boat is beamy....close to two feet more than a lot of boats of this length. That extra width gives us a nice wide salon and room for a decent sized galley and head but it adds to the problems I mentioned.

I've never considered stabilizers and as far as I know, neither did the builder for this boat. There are a lot of logs and deadheads in the coastal waters and anything sticking out sticking out like a stabilizer fin stands a fair chance of getting sheared off.

The weather on the west coast can turn crappy very quickly and you either have a nice solid displacement hull so you can ride it out, or you have lots of power and speed so you can get in quickly

Definitely a huge undertaking and really the only reason I consider it is that I plan on a long relationship with with the boat. I envy some of the old timers around here that have owned their boats for decades and have traveled extensively the East coast, the US and the Caribbean. That's the sort of thing I'm really interested in and so rather than finding a boat with all the things I want, I figure that it's best to invest the time and money in finding the foundation I can build upon over the years.

I'm very impressed with the Penta engines but I heard that Mercury has a similar idea now so want to really look into them too.

Have you ever bothered with getting the drive train specked and a prop custom matched to it? Of the few people I've talk to that have done that only one said it wasn't worth it.

Good point about the dead heads and the stabilizers. I was thinking of a forward looking sonar to help with that sort of thing as well as I haven't the years and years of experience on my side. Though I'm not sure if weedy areas cause problems with that. Sure would be helpful running unfamiliar inlets or in less than great conditions.

I've thought about the beam vs speed and fuel issue. I think I'm a slowpoke sort in that I like to cruise and just soak up the scenery passing by. So I'm looking for something with about a 14" beam should I find "the" boat over 50'. Probably 16' beam is as much as I'd ever want to go though with full displacement. That extra room inside sure can make up for a lot when it comes to living on the boat I suspect.

Do you use a lot of electrical that requires a multi-battery setup? So many options I have no idea where I want to go with that. Though with solar cells coming down in price and the efficiency of them rising, I would like to incorporate that in the system design.

Coddfish
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Whatcha gonna do on your long weekend?

I'm going to get my place cleaned up a bit and I'm going to have some family over here. Get the BBQ set up and then go from there.

Oh, and I'm also going to see The Simpsons Movie on Sunday. So, that should be about it.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Definitely a huge undertaking and really the only reason I consider it is that I plan on a long relationship with with the boat. I envy some of the old timers around here that have owned their boats for decades and have traveled extensively the East coast, the US and the Caribbean. That's the sort of thing I'm really interested in and so rather than finding a boat with all the things I want, I figure that it's best to invest the time and money in finding the foundation I can build upon over the years.
I'm very impressed with the Penta engines but I heard that Mercury has a similar idea now so want to really look into them too.
Have you ever bothered with getting the drive train specked and a prop custom matched to it? Of the few people I've talk to that have done that only one said it wasn't worth it.
Good point about the dead heads and the stabilizers. I was thinking of a forward looking sonar to help with that sort of thing as well as I haven't the years and years of experience on my side. Though I'm not sure if weedy areas cause problems with that. Sure would be helpful running unfamiliar inlets or in less than great conditions.
I've thought about the beam vs speed and fuel issue. I think I'm a slowpoke sort in that I like to cruise and just soak up the scenery passing by. So I'm looking for something with about a 14" beam should I find "the" boat over 50'. Probably 16' beam is as much as I'd ever want to...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
I don't think I've got the patience or the energy to do a complete conversion. In my case it would probably be better to flog the present boat and buy one a little closer to what I want. My first boat was a Campion 27. It had a Mercruiser stern drive and a 350 ci V8. It would go very fast but it burned a lot of gas and it was a pig in rough water.

I never thought of getting an expert to look at the prop selection....I guess I thought the manufacturer did that. On the other hand the boat was nine years old when I bought it and who knows what previous owner(s) might have done though the props look like the ones in the manual.

Right now I've got just two batteries but I have a small Onan gen set that will run the fridge, stove, and a bit of extra heating for cold nights. I did buy a gimmicky solar cell array for a hundred bucks that is supposed to charge the batteries. I haven't used it.

One thing I've found is that, as someone said, boats are "a hole in the water where you throw money". There couldn't be a more apt description.

Avro
Doing some work around the house and going up north on Tuesday to my cottage to do some more work.