Gardens & Ponds

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
In this thread I would like to have a place for us to share our gardening with each other. Everyone pretty much, has some kind of garden on the go. Have to, to make up for our lovely winters. So join me in a progression of gardens through the seasons.
Here's my pond comming out of hibernation last week.:smile:

Last edited:

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Beautiful eh1eh... I'll have to dig out some of my garden. I enjoy gardening very much.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In this thread I would like to have a place for us to share our gardening with each other. Everyone pretty much, has some kind of garden on the go. Have to, to make up for our lovely winters. So join me in a progression of gardens through the seasons.

Oh my goodness, that is stunning!

Hubby has always been hesitant about ponds, but, now that we're moving into the city and won't have a river near by (I live for the sounds of the river), he's warming up to the idea. Small pond to start with of course, but still I'm so excited!

I wish I couls share some pics, but, my yard is all in the 'dreams' stage right now.

Thanks for sharing!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I am still in the apartment phase of my life right now, I haven't looked into the German gardening clubs... I don't speak German yet. However...

I have some Bonsai trees being trained at my Mom's house. They are still in the training stage ~5-8years old. A few might be a bit older, not sure. The first one I had was an oak, which my father had accidentally dwarfed and I turned it into a bonsai in 2 years time. I was still a little inexperienced so when winter rolled around, I brought it in the house to protect it and... well, it did not survive.

If the training trees are better this year, maybe I will take some pictures.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When you get some flowers show us Karrie.:smile:

Well, I have to get the place first! lol. May 14th is my last day here in BC.... May 15th I take possession in Edmonton. Stalking the place last week, it looked like I had some bulbs coming up in the front yard, but, one can't guarantee the previous owners won't do something stupid like dig them up and take them. lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I am still in the apartment phase of my life right now, I haven't looked into the German gardening clubs... I don't speak German yet. However...

I have some Bonsai trees being trained at my Mom's house. They are still in the training stage ~5-8years old. A few might be a bit older, not sure. The first one I had was an oak, which my father had accidentally dwarfed and I turned it into a bonsai in 2 years time. I was still a little inexperienced so when winter rolled around, I brought it in the house to protect it and... well, it did not survive.

If the training trees are better this year, maybe I will take some pictures.

Such a neat hobby. I'd love to see your training pics even.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
There is still some apparent scarring from the pruning. I am turning one crimson maple into a sort of broom shaped tree. So, you cut the leaders back all the time. I will have to get some wire soon. Winter is actually the ideal time of year to take up the hobby, all the trees are bare and you get an excellent look at the shape of the trunk.

I was going to give it up after my poor oak tree died, but I was reading one of my books that said, "We all kill a tree or two during the learning process," which made me feel better again.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There is still some apparent scarring from the pruning. I am turning one crimson maple into a sort of broom shaped tree. So, you cut the leaders back all the time. I will have to get some wire soon. Winter is actually the ideal time of year to take up the hobby, all the trees are bare and you get an excellent look at the shape of the trunk.

I was going to give it up after my poor oak tree died, but I was reading one of my books that said, "We all kill a tree or two during the learning process," which made me feel better again.

Well I'm glad you stuck with it. It's a neat hobby.

I'm hoping to get some grafts off of some apple trees at a friend's house in Edmonton (the trees are roughly the same age as her house, almost 100 years old), and while I'm not going to bonsai them, I love that I'll be abe to prune them from an early age, to keep them a desirable shape. I truly love doing spring pruning. When we moved in here, most of the trees had been very poorly pruned by the previous owners, simply hacking branches off halfway, with no thought for joints, or keeping the cuts as hidden as possible. The challenge of pruning the trees in a way that hid the butchery of the previous owners was one I truly enjoyed.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well I'm glad you stuck with it. It's a neat hobby.

I'm hoping to get some grafts off of some apple trees at a friend's house in Edmonton (the trees are roughly the same age as her house, almost 100 years old), and while I'm not going to bonsai them, I love that I'll be abe to prune them from an early age, to keep them a desirable shape. I truly love doing spring pruning. When we moved in here, most of the trees had been very poorly pruned by the previous owners, simply hacking branches off halfway, with no thought for joints, or keeping the cuts as hidden as possible. The challenge of pruning the trees in a way that hid the butchery of the previous owners was one I truly enjoyed.

Haha, walking by one of the orchards here in Germany, I jokingly mentioned to my wife "Bonsai uses pruning to create beauty, orchards use pruning to maximize production and make ugly trees." The poor pear treas are terrible here, they don't resemble trees so much as cancerous vines.

Do you have some concave branch cutters? That is what I use, it ensures that the scar will heal fastest and that it will not leave behind an ugly lump. There are some classic Bonsai forms that use dead wood and scars (jins or sharis) to produce some nice results. Afterall, not every tree in nature is perfect, some of the most beautiful have been struck by lightning or lost branches to winds.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Haha, walking by one of the orchards here in Germany, I jokingly mentioned to my wife "Bonsai uses pruning to create beauty, orchards use pruning to maximize production and make ugly trees." The poor pear treas are terrible here, they don't resemble trees so much as cancerous vines.

Do you have some concave branch cutters? That is what I use, it ensures that the scar will heal fastest and that it will not leave behind an ugly lump. There are some classic Bonsai forms that use dead wood and scars (jins or sharis) to produce some nice results. Afterall, not every tree in nature is perfect, some of the most beautiful have been struck by lightning or lost branches to winds.

No, I do't have any fancy pruners. Just a set of loppers, a pair of small shears, and a folding pull saw I can carry in my pocket. I find it difficult to watch other people prune trees. No care or attention is paid half the time. A blunt cut halfway along a branch makes me want to weep. lol. I can only imagine what an orchard like the one you describe, would do to me!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
No, I do't have any fancy pruners. Just a set of loppers, a pair of small shears, and a folding pull saw I can carry in my pocket. I find it difficult to watch other people prune trees. No care or attention is paid half the time. A blunt cut halfway along a branch makes me want to weep. lol. I can only imagine what an orchard like the one you describe, would do to me!

My dad really liked trees and pruning, so I learned how terrible what you describe is, and I learned it at a very early age. I too cry a little inside every time I see that.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Nice pond. Wish I could do something like that. Any outdoor project I start just ends up being a lump of stuff. I have a raised garden area but it's sloped. I'd like to build a patio or something on it because the view is good but I don't no where to start. I'm not very good at envisioning what an end product could look like.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

What a lovely pond. My efforts at gardening are pitiful by comparison. I putter around with flowers and bushes, nothing elaborate or special such as what you have shared!

I do veggies as well, mainly because I like to eat;-)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Just an update. Everything is filling in nicely. Tomatoes, peppers and a selection of herbs are all planted. We almost had frost here last night but we're in the city not too far from Lake Ontario so we were spared.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Don't see any carnivorous plants in there just yet, maybe they're not in the frame ;)??
Lookin good tho, a sweet place to relax in the summer :D

Hi Mabudon, Unfortunatly I gave up on the bug eaters for the time being. Seems nurseries and the like don't carry them at this time of year as they consider them house plants, so I think I will order over the internet. I know just where to get that info too.;-)

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Thanks Doc. I have now idea just what type they are, we just call them the Bancroft swamp special. This is in honour of their place of origin.

I had that special at a diner up there once...They do it like kreskin likes , with a side of marinated Balls.

p.s. tell me i'm not catching onto to you guys LOL!!!!!