Its just a game, whats with the controversy?

Robert_Strain

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Robert_StrainView Post

G

What do you think? Do people think you are a criminal just because you play games or watch action movies? I guess we action loving folks have gotta move to a country where games are allowed eh. From the way things are now, we are headed in that direction.....sigh.....

WOW!!! Quite a homily. Are you related to westmanguy by any chance?

Well, it may not be criminal in and of itself, but the violence common in many of the games can certainly be toned down. In your reference to being bored without the games, try reading.

DurkaDurka
I play all sorts of video games.. mostly violent ones. I get great satisfaction in zooming on a guys head with a sniper rifle and blowing it away (Battlefield 2142). Playing violent video games is no worse then watching a horror movie or an army enlistment advertisement. The prudes of society have chosen video games to be their new cause celebre, look up the man leading that fight: Jack Thompson, a real sleezebag.

folcar
Were there wacko's going around killing people before video games? yes! Millions play those games and never even for a split second consider committing mass murder or even just plain old murder as a result. The problem has far deeper roots and the gaming industry is the the choosen convenient scape goat. Social isolation, bullying, domestic violence, lack of emotional support, emotional abuse, poverty and just plain old insanity are more likely culprits. The only part games or any form of mass media may play is they aid in providing ideas to those sick people who are just looking for and excuse to commit such horrific crimes the games are blamed for. When the nightly news almost daily carries more horrific stuff from around the globe and it's content is real, the real threat to public safety and freedom is the lobbyist and activists every time they get a cause we lose freedoms and rights.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I play all sorts of video games.. mostly violent ones. I get great satisfaction in zooming on a guys head with a sniper rifle and blowing it away (Battlefield 2142). Playing violent video games is no worse then watching a horror movie or an army enlistment advertisement. The prudes of society have chosen video games to be their new cause celebre, look up the man leading that fight: Jack Thompson, a real sleezebag.

I do the same thing in Unreal Tourney 2004. Everything from sniping to nuking to running over people in tanks and little hovercraft thingies and I have a rack of real firearms plus handguns all with tons of ammo I don't shoot much of anything anymore and when I do its paper targets or pinecones and the occasional skunk or coon.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I do the same thing in Unreal Tourney 2004. Everything from sniping to nuking.

Cheers to that. Gilbert, are you eagerly awaiting UT2007? Looks pretty good from the screenshots I have seen.

L Gilbert
You got that right, Durk. Been hardly any length of time between the other versions of Unreal, but this one sure is taking its time getting to us.

talloola

This is confusing for me, cause I was picturing Rita McNeil playing video games, and somehow that doesn't seem to work.
I don't know much about the content of video games, but I do think their contents should
be monitored, as, even though the majority of them are probably harmless, very young
children play them, and that is not quite the same as 'you' playing them, in my opinion.

DurkaDurka

You got that right, Durk. Been hardly any length of time between the other versions of Unreal, but this one sure is taking its time getting to us.

I am looking forward to UT2007 and the upcoming game called Crysis, check it out on google.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

This is confusing for me, cause I was picturing Rita McNeil playing video games, and somehow that doesn't seem to work.
I don't know much about the content of video games, but I do think their contents should
be monitored, as, even though the majority of them are probably harmless, very young
children play them, and that is not quite the same as 'you' playing them, in my opinion.

Talloola, video games have a rating system similar to what movies have. Like any other type of media, the parents need to supervise what their kids watch/play.

L Gilbert

roflmao

Right on the nailhead, Durk.

talloola

Talloola, video games have a rating system similar to what movies have. Like any other type of media, the parents need to supervise what their kids watch/play.

I totally agree with that opinion, but it's the many parents who shouldn't have been parents
to begin with, that concern me.

DurkaDurka

I totally agree with that opinion, but it's the many parents who shouldn't have been parents

I can't argue that point.

L Gilbert

Fersher. People should have to qualify to be parents, I sometimes think.

lysyfacet
Americas Army and Counter Strike, thats where its at !!

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by lysyfacetView Post

Americas Army and Counter Strike, thats where its at !!

Been there, done that. I still play CS a couple times a month though.

lysyfacet

Been there, done that. I still play CS a couple times a month though.

yep...definitely two very addicting games. I love just getting a coke, and sitting for a couple hours once or twice a month and playing some. Fun Fun.

L Gilbert
Played America's Army. It's enjoyable.

lysyfacet

Played America's Army. It's enjoyable.

hey, it costs nothing, sure takes awhile to download, but then you're on the front lines. Definitely a game worth getting, if you aren't interesting in paying for your pc games.
www.americasarmy.com (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
Crysis reminds me a bit of UR2:The Awakening

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by lysyfacetView Post

hey, it costs nothing, sure takes awhile to download, but then you're on the front lines. Definitely a game worth getting, if you aren't interesting in paying for your pc games.
www.americasarmy.com (external - login to view)

Yeah. I was looking for a sniping game and d/led it, got sidetracked before I could play it, then forgot I had it, then found it months later and played it. I still have it somewhere. Lately I've been more into Chess, Stratego, and Hearts than RPGs, FPSs, etc.

DurkaDurka

Crysis reminds me a bit of UR2:The Awakening

I haven't played that game.
What really impresses me with Crysis, besides the graphics is the Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is static in the game. Branches on trees will shift and blow depending on the direction of the wind. If you chop through folliage with a machine gun, it tears the folliage to shreds, you can make paths where there isn't one visible.

lysyfacet

What really impresses me with Crysis, besides the graphics is the Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is static in the game. Branches on trees will shift and blow depending on the direction of the wind. If you chop through folliage with a machine gun, it tears it the folliage to shreds, you can make paths where there isn't one visible.

the detailed graphics these days seem to amaze me

L Gilbert

What really impresses me with Crysis, besides the graphics is the Artificial Intelligence. Nothing is static in the game. Branches on trees will shift and blow depending on the direction of the wind. If you chop through folliage with a machine gun, it tears it the folliage to shreds, you can make paths where there isn't one visible.

Wasn't aware it was out yet. I just read a description of it.

DurkaDurka

Wasn't aware it was out yet. I just read a description of it.

It's not out yet, I have been reading all the developers notes about the new engine they developed to do the eye candy and physics.

DurkaDurka
Gilbert, did you play any of the Sierra games of the 1980's (Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Heroes Quest, King Quest etc)?
I remember when the Leisure Suit Larry series was released, it was considered quite the risque game back in the day.

El Barto
Games and movies? What about the news?
I grew up watching the Vietnam war on the news at 6:00 pm every night way back when..............
Hell other countries don't have a TV and violence seems to be quite popular.
Genocide and ethnic cleansing. Don't think they got that from a video game.
The graphic content seems to rise with the realism it can imitate

L Gilbert

Gilbert, did you play any of the Sierra games of the 1980's (Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Heroes Quest, King Quest etc)?
I remember when the Leisure Suit Larry series was released, it was considered quite the risque game back in the day.

Played Police Quest a bit. 6 Disks and I couldn't get past the intro (the orientation briefing) for some reason. Lost interest in a hurry. Probably a good game.

MikeyDB
Hey Les..
I don't understand what all the caffuffle's about....
Take dwarf-tossing...
What's the big deal?
Many of the dwarves I know wouldn't have any alternative to the circus if it weren't for tossing and dwarf-bowling....
Dwarf bowling is sitting your favorite dwarf on a skateboard and launching him down the alley into a set of ten-pins....
Great fun!

s243a
It's probably not the gamers running around shooting people. I would hate to see video games banned but perhaps we don't need to advertise violent games between say 7AM to 8PM on TV. Video games are just a scape goat for a much larger problem. The news media is as much of a problem as video games.