Second Choice Nation: After Canada, you would live in?

westmanguy
The United States of America.

I assume and surely hope many people choose the USA as their second choice nation, if they had to live anywhere else

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

I assume and surely hope many people choose the USA as their second choice nation, if they had to live anywhere else

Why?

#juan

Why do you hope people choose the U.S.? My second choice would probably be Switzerland.

mapleleafgirl
you couldnt pay me enough to live in the states. id choose probably australia or new zealand.

tamarin
I'd choose to live in Eastern Ontario. Like Quebec, whom Harper has already declared a nation, we are too. It's nice here. And if Canadians are nice we won't make them get passports.

westmanguy
tamarin is American?

s243a
In this order, Australia, Norway, The United States, then either Great Brittan, Holland or New Zealand.

darleneonfire
No doubt in my mind, I'd go to the Mother country-England...

darkbeaver
Iran or France.

Curiosity
I already live in the U.S. by choice - so my second choice would be New Zealand or England

westmanguy
why wouldn't people choose the USA!!

Its just like canada!!

but better!

snfu, check PM box.

hermanntrude
definately not the US. bad attitude to outsiders, dumb government, crappy tv the list goes on. I'd either go back to england or explore new zealand. I've been to aus and it's a little weird. although i could live there eating nothing but sardines for the rest of my life if the alternative was to live in luxury in the US.

Curiosity
On second thought

For me there is no 'second'.... I like it where I am.

westmanguy
USA isbetter than the mother corp Britain.

s243a

Bitten is more left win the US crowed and expensive. That is why I chose Australia. Lower taxes then Canada, great beaches not that crowed and a good job marked. New Zealand is beautiful but I don’t think there are a lot of jobs there and if you live in Australia it is easier to visit. The biggest plus about the US is it is close, low taxes and usually has a good job market.

Dexter Sinister
Australia or the U.K., probably Scotland to be more specific. At least there I'd have some hope of understanding the political system. I've never understood how the Americans do things. Such as the quadrennial spectacle of watching them trying to elect a president through 50 separate electoral systems, primaries in which the major candidates don't even run, major campaigns every two years, voting for sheriffs and judges and the equivalent of crown prosecutors, even voting on the contracts for garbage collection and animal control in some jurisdictions. I saw an American ballot once, when I worked with an American citizen who received an absentee ballot. It was the size of two newspaper pages... yeesh! Only the richest country in the world could afford it.

Tonington
I think New Zealand for me. If not there perhaps one of the Scandinavian countries.

hermanntrude
wales would be nice for retirement, or at a pinch, scotland.

that's assuming i dont mind the risk of having my house burgled and burned by annoyed locals

s243a
I put the United States about third but maybe I should have put it as number one since housing prices in Houston are a lot lower then Calgary.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by s243aView Post

I put the United States about third but maybe I should have put it as number one since housing prices in Houston are a lot lower then Calgary.

I imagine housing costs are pretty low in svalbard too

gc

Its just like canada!!

but better!

If it's better than Canada, why don't you live there right now?

Liberalman
America does not have health care where everyone can be treated and it is paid for by our taxes.

America would rather see their own citizens die than help them.

America sends millions of dollars to other countries poor but they don't take care of their own.

I thought the American military motto was no soldier left behind.

Saddam was hanged for gassing his own countrymen but it's ok for the U.S. government to let poor homeless Americans die on the streets.

The American made movies got it right why can't the American government get it right.

American soldiers are dying in foreign countries so the people can have a better life there.

But the American veteran dies in poverty and neglect in the very country he he or she took an oath to protect.

America as my second choice not now maybe later when they learn to serve the people better than they are now.

Dexter Sinister

Its just like canada!!

but better!

It's quite different in all the ways that matter to me, so I wouldn't choose it. Oh I'd choose it ahead of any of the Islamic republics in the world, for instance, so I wouldn't put it absolutely last on the list, but on a list of decent places, countries I'd call civilized and democratic and worth living in, it wouldn't make the top ten for me. And please note that I *did* say it was decent.

Kreskin
Sweden

Daz_Hockey
Erm, well...I live in England, but get away as much as I possibly can. So it's obviously not my first choice anyway, it's cold, crowded, dirty, decaying......and I cant speak Polish!!!.

But I find myself in a spot of bother choosing my second one.....I dont wanna live anywhere for the rest of my life persay...I would honestly just like to randomly taste each different country for the rest of my life....but if I had to stick to one......It would probably be Australia, followed by Canada, followed by NZ, followed by the US and followed by the Channel Islands!!!!!

Andem

LOL you sound as if you've never even been to the US.. let alone "mother corp Britain".

Oh yeah, my first choice at this time of my life is Germany. I don't know if I will return to Canada at this point but if I did I would prefer to return to Montreal.. as for choices after Canada, it might be London, England and then possibly when much older Zürich, Switzerland.

These are all places Ive spent time in so no dillusions of a country I've never been to here.

I might like to check out New Zealand or Aussieland some day, but I don't know about living there yet.
Last edited by Andem; Mar 25th, 2007 at 05:52 PM..

thomaska
Quote: Originally Posted by mapleleafgirlView Post

you couldnt pay me enough to live in the states. id choose probably australia or new zealand.

Oddly enough you wouldn't have to be paid to live here. With our current administration's weak-*** position on immigrants, you can just walk across the border, set up shop and wait for the democrats and the republicans to line up to kiss your *** for your vote.

Daz_Hockey
Andem, I must say, I now fully understand why Germany didnt want Poland and the eastern blok from entering the EU.......Because it certainly makes our idea of bringing em in to invade at a million a year seem like idiotic...and certainly adds to the crowdedness as well as my wanting to leave...

Andem
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_HockeyView Post

Andem, I must say, I now fully understand why Germany didnt want Poland and the eastern blok from entering the EU.......Because it certainly makes our idea of bringing em in to invade at a million a year seem like idiotic...and certainly adds to the crowdedness as well as my wanting to leave...

Oh yeah, my mum and I were visiting England in September and I noticed a lot of Poles in the Southeast. Mind you, it's MUCH more refreshing than the third worlders who have basically invaded the country and its lifestyle. Nah, I'd rather have Poles there than anybody else.

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

Oddly enough you wouldn't have to be paid to live here. With our current administration's weak-*** position on immigrants, you can just walk across the border, set up shop and wait for the democrats and the republicans to line up to kiss your *** for your vote.

Speaking as someone who came to the US from Canada, you have to be kidding! Coming here legally is not an easy task at all! And considering we can't vote unless we become citizens, no one is kissing my butt.

Obviously the US was my second choice because I moved here... So I guess that makes it my first choice at the moment. I do really like it here, I have great friends, great weather and a great job market. Couldn't combine those three in Canada unfortunately...

If I had to move somewhere else, I think it would be somewhere in the UK. Wales maybe...