All we are saying is give peace a chance

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
As Ive been wandering these halls and participating a bit Ive noticed something and Id Love to hear how you all feel about my observation.......... Ive noticed that borders are very important to most. That sides are especially important. And my question is this, what if we put all that energy into tearing down those borders and erasing the line in the sand so there are no sides? Could the world survive? Is it possible to have peace? Or is it just an Aery Faery idea that will never come to pass?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Human nature is conflict. While I myself believe that certain nations or ethnic groups on this planet could easily disarm and maintain a long lasting peace with the support of police officers, there are others that could not. I'm not going to get in to finger pointing, but i'm sure everyone on these forums can rattle off a list of nations that'd be willing to sue for World peace, and those that would not. In reality however, that'll never happen. The World is too diverse, there are too many religions, and too many social imbalances that would simply hinder any serious attempt at disarmament.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
missile said:
Peace on Earth will only occur when the population is down to 1 :(

So who will it be?

More seriously though, I don't think it's possible foe one individual to create world peace. Perhaps he could promote more unity, which would increase the chances of peace in the long term. This could involve teaching your child about other religions and teaching them other languages. If we can better understand one anothers' religions and languages, that alone would already be a big step in the right direction. What about having your kid visit a local synagogue one Saturday, or church one Sunday, or mosque one day to just make new friends? Have we got buddhist friends? Can we speak any other language? If so, why not make friends or pen friends in the language, etc.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Maybe Its just my simple mind, but it seems to me that if we look at the micro of it in our own lives, the dinamics we have on a personal basis (bear with me) When we fight it just really sucks. We feel horrible and we want to fix it right away.

OK

On the macro its the same feeling......it sucks. Why not fix it? It will feel so much better as a whole if we just release our resentments and anger and FEAR.

Just my two cents

HonestAbe

May 5, 2006
Illinois
Borders will never go away, and people will never stop choosing sides, and the world would not be a better place if people did give all of that up, and it has nothing to do with, "resentments and anger and FEAR," so you might as well get used to it.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
No Sweetheart I will never get used to it. I know we are better than what we are now. I KNOW we can BE more than warring fractions. I see peices of our future here and there all over the internet. Small fractions growing and teaching by example. There's threads on this site proving that. Like this one.

http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14976

I have hope and faith that if we allow just the thought to exist we WILL find that Peace.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sure I have no problem with eliminating the boarders, as long as all the boarders are absorbed into the USA, and we get to live under it's constitution.

HonestAbe

May 5, 2006
Illinois
Unfortunately, you grew up in a school system similar to mine, where all of your influences growing up were unrealistic liberal teachers who took it upon themselves to change the world. In theory, it's a good plan, in reality though, not all humans will accept that everyone was born to live together in peace and harmony. There is more crime today than there ever was, more corruption. It's a messed up world we live in, but we can't hide from reality and hope for a day when people can live and let live. We can't do that, because it is impossible for it to happen. Crime is evident around the world, and we need borders and warring fractions in order to keep the most dangerous of criminals in line. Please reconsider your views on society, because I'm afraid you might get hurt.

Also, I'm down with Jay, he's got a good idea going.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
No I dont think I'll change my mind but thank you for your concern :) As for being hurt? More so than not BUT I still see potential in every single person. I know I sound ...... what? Oh I know.....like a tree hugger LOL I am. And my idea of reality is changing what does not serve me well. So I smile at grumpy old ladies, and laugh at children misbehaving in the store (mom's lighten up if you do) I strike up conversations with the neighborhood "gothe" kids (you should have seen their faces the first time I pointed out a squirell on the phone wire LOL priceless!) I used to tutor neighborhood gang members in bakersfield......4 of them graduated and went to college! Little things. Little things bring down that crime rate. Start with a smile. :)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That's great selfactivated! Good work! :thumbup:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
So I smile at grumpy old ladies, and laugh at children misbehaving in the store (mom's lighten up if you do) I strike up conversations with the neighborhood "gothe" kids (you should have seen their faces the first time I pointed out a squirell on the phone wire LOL priceless!) I used to tutor neighborhood gang members in bakersfield......4 of them graduated and went to college! Little things

I can respect that can't I?

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island
selfactivated said:
What if we put all that energy into tearing down ... borders and erasing the line in the sand so there are no sides? Could the world survive? Is it possible to have peace?
There are at least three assumptions here:
1. that having a border means taking a side;
2. that taking a side means being incompatible with any other group or nation;
3. that taking a side which may be incompatible with another group or nation means peace is not possible between them.

On 1, a border may be more for domestic purposes than for any international reasons. E.g., it defines the population, who pays taxes, to whom laws apply, who may qualify as beneficiaries of government services, who may run for political office, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean taking a position that is opposed to those who do not live within that nation's or group's borders.

On 2, you may be assuming that there are only two sides, whereas it may make more sense to think of world views as facets on a geodesic dome.

On 3, even if we supposed that there were only two sides to anything, it isn't necessarily the case that the two sides couldn't agree to disagree.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Thank You Naci_Sey I see your point but I think I didnt make my analagy clear enough. My meaning was not that there are just two sides, of course you are right there are many sides, There are many panels to this quilt we call earth. Just as there are in your dome. But if you look at your dome and notice all the panels connect and create ONE sphere. If one panel eradicated another it would compromise your dome, Would it not? But if all the panels connect in harmony then the sphere is strong. Im not as bright as most of you but thats how I see it.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: All we are saying is

I have to say that I agre with the topic's poster- I really do NOT believe that the whole "social darwinsist" take on humanity is anywhere near correct, more a myth perpetuated by those who would prosper on the misfortunes of others...

As a race we have pretty much mastered the physical realm in a way that even the far-sighted thinkers of aeons past could not have imagined, yet still there are those who would say that our "bestail" tendencies would always take precedence over reason,compassion and ingenuity. I think that peace will only happen when the "meek" inherit (what's left of) the earth (one of the only things in the Bible I stand behind 100%)

the proud, the vicious, they should be left to the wayside..

And by meek I certainly do NOT mean those who are ashamed or otherwise unable to "stand up for themselves and take what they need before the opportunity is lost"

I mean those truly enlightened ones among us who see the chance at absolute perfection that our race is in the unique position to ACTUALLY achieve, sooner or later by being prudent and mindful...

But alas, there most certainly ARE barbarians among us, and a fine day it will be when they've all beaten their chests so much as to make them cave in...

There will always be "the strong" and the "vulnerable" and balance must be maintained, but Power without understanding is meaningless, as the "human nature is to kill each other and try to die with the most toys" perspecitve illustrates so richly; such people cannot even acknowledge otherwise, and it must be a sad way to experience reality.

I too, hope that eventually the meek will rise and inherit what is rightly theirs (ours?? I dunno, I'm kind of a jerk and DO have my vices) and the barbarians die out just like all the stupid, vicious anu=imals before them (like bears in europe, killed off because they were too dangerous and too stupid to be left alive)

Funny topic :D

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island
Re: RE: All we are saying is

mabudon said:
I have to say that I agre with the topic's poster - I really do NOT believe that the whole "social darwinsist" take on humanity is anywhere near correct, more a myth perpetuated by those who would prosper on the misfortunes of others...
Sooo right!

I too, hope that eventually the meek will rise and inherit what is rightly theirs (ours?? I dunno, I'm kind of a jerk and DO have my vices) and the barbarians die out just like ... bears in europe, killed off because they were too dangerous and too stupid to be left alive.

This comment reminds me of one of my favourite books, The Gate to Women's Country, by Sheri S. Tepper. I don't want to give the plot away; suffice it to say that the story takes place in a post-nuclear world, most (by no means all) men and boys over 5 yrs of age live in a military-like encampment, play military games, engage in the occasional battle and see themselves as the guardians of Women's Country - the region on the other side of the gate. Selfactivated, I think you might enjoy this book. Lots of interesting, unusual ideas to play with.

BTW, selfactivated, you wrote of yourself as 'not as bright' as the rest of us. You're mistaken. There's all kinds of intelligence, one being emotional intelligence. Seems to me you place higher on that scale than far too much of humanity.