How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your baby ?


dr_farzan
#1
Breast milk is the only food your baby needs for the first 4 to 6 months of life. It is advisable to continue to breastfeed your baby for a minimum of one year, and preferably for a full two years. Breast milk is specifically designed to meet the needs of the human infant, just as the milk of other mammals is specifically designed to meet the needs of their young. Breast milk also provides immune protection, reduces risk of allergies, decreases the incidence of respiratory, gastrointestinal, and other illnesses, helps to create a wonderful bond between you and your infant.
How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your baby ?
 
fubbleskag
#2
i know i'm probably gonna be alone on this, but i am personally bothered when i'm enjoying a meal at my favourite restaurant and someone at the table near me starts breastfeeding.

not while i eat, damnit.
 
LadyC
#3
I loved breast feeding and I did it wherever I was. Discreetly of course. However, if anyone stared at me rudely expecting me to feed my babe in the bathroom I stared beck at them till they figured out it was best to mind their own business. That only happened twice.

If you're uncomfortable seeing a woman's (covered) breast, don't look.
If it's the manner of feeding that bothers you.... I sure hope your manners are impeccable.... no talking with food in your mouth, no playing chew 'n' show.... you get my point.

I even nursed while wandering the aisles at Costco, and no-one noticed.
 
Twila
#4
I personally find it hard to understand how anyone would be disturbed at the sight of a baby nursing. I've tried to understand but I can't figure it out.

We don't get upset watching kittens nurse, or puppies nurse, or kid goats or calves or foals....

I wonder if it has something to do with the "dirtiness" of it being a human BREAST. I wonder if subconciously it makes some feel that they can no longer enjoy the sexual aspect of a breast once they see the real reason women have them?
 
fubbleskag
#5
i can assure you i've enjoyed one or two human breasts since the last time i had the displeasure of witnessing a breastfeeding in a restaurant.

i would be just as bothered if a kitten, puppie or goat were nursing near my table at a restaurant as i am by a person.

and ladyc, i would never make mention of it to the woman, as it's the restaurant's policy to allow such behaviour. more often than not, i ask for my meal to be wrapped up and i'll finish it at home or in the car or what-have-you.

as i stipulated, i expect to be in the minority on this issue.
 
LadyC
#6
Such behaviour?

You don't need to mention it... we can see it in your eyes. Not that I cared. I was discreet in my nursing, even in the privacy of my own home, but I'll admit to a secret pleasure knowing it disturbed some people - probably the same people that were just ogling the underwear model on the side of the bus.

Something's seriously wrong with a society that sees breast-feeding a baby as somehow shameful, yet wants to see a little breast on TV.

I'm surprised at you, fubbleskag. I get the impression you're younger than me. Isn't every generation supposed to be more enlightened than the one previous?

Makes me wish I were still nursing......
 
peapod
#7
I would like to know why the good doctor is asking these questions? Is he doing some kind of research...they seem to be only women type questions...I would like to ask the doctor a few male type questions....like once my brother had a picture of a man from india with a case of elephantitsis, my brother called it. His balls were so big, he had to carry them around in a wheel barrel...Is this for real?? Can this really happen to a mans balls?? what causes this??
 
Twila
#8
Pea, it's caused by round worms! It can happen, it does happen.

Saw the same picture.
 
peapod
#9
Really and I just thought my brother was dreaming as usual Wow no cure...what a horrible life the poor man must have suffered
 
Twila
#10
I haven't heard about whether it's painfull or not. Looks painful. But just think....that guy was able to say without a shadow of a doubt and with obviously visual proof that he does in fact have the biggest balls of them all! Bon Scott is rolling in his grave right this very minute.
 
peapod
#11
Well I am trying to picture in my mind how he did alot of everyday things
 
Twila
#12
Really, or are you simply picturing a man with gianormous balls?
 
peapod
#13
...well ehm..no I was trying to figure out how he did things trying to get around with them in a wheel barrel...think about it I seriously doubt he could..*whispers*
preform :P Shhhhhhh

Worms you say, what kind of worms? please continue it is most fascinating...really
 
Twila
#14
Round worms. Apprently they infect the lymphatic system and that's why things swell. I can't remember if the worms are ingested from tainted water or if they burrow their way in.
 
peapod
#15
I will have to google that and find out more. A good topic for strange afflictions
 
dr_farzan
#16
Peapod, thank you for the question.Elephantitis or elephantiasis is the gross ,visible enlargement of the arms, legs, or genitals to very large size.It is the result of a parasitic infection caused by three kinds of round worms transmitted by particular species of mosquitoes.The worms block the body's lymphatic system which can lead to great swelling, called "lymphedema." that they resemble an elephant's foreleg in size.Long-term infection can lead to hydrocele in the scrotum, the scenario you were talking about.It is the result of lack of medical care at the right time. This disease can be well controlled, if diagonised in the early stages.Some times,several courses of diethylcarbamazine treatment over a long time period may be necessary.
 
fubbleskag
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyC

Something's seriously wrong with a society that sees breast-feeding a baby as somehow shameful, yet wants to see a little breast on TV.

as i've said twice now, and i'll repeat once more just to be sure we're clear - i am quite certain that i am a minority on this issue, thereby making this statement completely ridiculous. if society truly deemed public breastfeeding as distasteful, it wouldn't be allowed in public. see smoking for a working example of this in practice.

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyC

I'm surprised at you, fubbleskag. I get the impression you're younger than me. Isn't every generation supposed to be more enlightened than the one previous?

my personal tastes have nothing to do with enlightenement, but i find it amusing that you would even mentino enlightenement after a comment such as this:
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyC

...but I'll admit to a secret pleasure knowing it disturbed some people...

 
choppie
#18
meh....breastfeed wherever or whenever....it don't bother me but I am glad that rooms are provided for people who are shy...
 
acidcomplex
#19
yeah theres nothing else better Id like to see than some woman who is a deuce fity, flop out her headlights to give her baby some food, use a room.
 
Jo Canadian
#20
 
TenPenny
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by fubbleskag

i know i'm probably gonna be alone on this, but i am personally bothered when i'm enjoying a meal at my favourite restaurant and someone at the table near me starts breastfeeding.

not while i eat, damnit.

I agree. Just yesterday, I watched a teenage couple, and that must have been what they were doing.

I really hate it when fat people sit near me in a restaurant - that's really disgusting. Not while I'm enjoying my meal, dammit. Live off your own fat for a while. There ought to be a law. If I could write, I'd write a letter to the mayor, if he could read. Don't get me started - oh, I already am.

Jeeeezus. If "someone at a table near you" is breastfeeding, and it bothers you, THEN LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE, *******.
 
mrmom2
#22
 
Reverend Blair
#23
I think it's just jealousy, Ten Penny...everybody wants some titty.
 
Nascar_James
#24
The issue and priority here is the well being of the infant that needs feeding, no matter where the infant may be. Due to whatever reason (which I won't discuss here), the infant may not always be in the comfort of his or her home.

However, it is surely something that should be avoided if possible or temporarily postponed if children are around at the time. At least till able to seclude an area away from kids. This is not something for young children to see.
 
Vanni Fucci
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

The issue and priority here is the well being of the infant that needs feeding, no matter where the infant may be. Due to whatever reason (which I won't discuss here), the infant may not always be in the comfort of his or her home.

However, it is surely something that should be avoided if possible or temporarily postponed if children are around at the time. At least till able to seclude an area away from kids. This is not something for young children to see.

Oh yes...because breastfeeding a child is such a filthy habit...
 
Jo Canadian
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

However, it is surely something that should be avoided if possible or temporarily postponed if children are around at the time. At least till able to seclude an area away from kids. This is not something for young children to see.


Why?


In your culture maybe.

It's a fact of life. It doesn't effect children negatively at all if adults don't make a big deal out of it. I've lived around it where no one cares about it, it's how kids get food. Why make it more complicated. I've seen Eskimo chicks flop them out to feed their kid in a busy community centre filled with people. Children running all over and playing. They don't notice. And when they did, big fat hairy deal, everybody that has a family does it, and they keep on playing...not freaking because they saw the Forbidden Fruit.

%$@#%$ 'n Kablunaks can make a mountain out of a mole hill man!
 
TenPenny
#27
North American culture is afraid of breasts. Look at Janet at the SuperBowl, fer chrissakes. Now, if she killed a guy with a machine gun, that would be okay.

God, no wonder NA males are obsessed with breasts. People think it's somehow scary for kids to see them?

Jeesus, they're just breasts. If you're a pervert, that's YOUR problem.
 
Nascar_James
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

The issue and priority here is the well being of the infant that needs feeding, no matter where the infant may be. Due to whatever reason (which I won't discuss here), the infant may not always be in the comfort of his or her home.

However, it is surely something that should be avoided if possible or temporarily postponed if children are around at the time. At least till able to seclude an area away from kids. This is not something for young children to see.

Oh yes...because breastfeeding a child is such a filthy habit...

Of course not. Everyone wants their children to grow up healthy and that means ensuring proper feeding. On the other hand, breast feeding a child in plain view of other children is not appropriate. Many young children are not comfortable with something of this nature and should not be exposed to this. The psychological well being of the other children surely takes presedence over the feeding of the infant since a short postponement will not do any harm.

In today's society, our young children are the most vunerable and we must do what we can to safeguard them, at all costs.
 
no1important
#29
Geez Nascar, You neocons really have a strange outlook on the world.
 
Nascar_James
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jo Canadian

Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

However, it is surely something that should be avoided if possible or temporarily postponed if children are around at the time. At least till able to seclude an area away from kids. This is not something for young children to see.


Why?


In your culture maybe.

It's a fact of life. It doesn't effect children negatively at all if adults don't make a big deal out of it. I've lived around it where no one cares about it, it's how kids get food. Why make it more complicated. I've seen Eskimo chicks flop them out to feed their kid in a busy community centre filled with people. Children running all over and playing. They don't notice. And when they did, big fat hairy deal, everybody that has a family does it, and they keep on playing...not freaking because they saw the Forbidden Fruit.

%$@#%$ 'n Kablunaks can make a mountain out of a mole hill man!

Well, I still say the psycholigical well being of my kids take precedence over any adult insistance on breast feeding in front of them. We should all place our kids interests ahead of our own selfesh tendencies.
 

Similar Threads

0
Support for breastfeeding
by hermanntrude | Nov 2nd, 2007
2
Woman Breastfeeding 8yr old!!!
by Hank C | Feb 6th, 2006
10
Drinking & BreastFeeding Don't Mix
by missile | Nov 15th, 2005
no new posts